What's Not To Like About The Beatles?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know this is an "asking for it" post but hey, I really want to know.

Masses/mainstream of the past and even now liked/likes them. I presume most songwriter wannabes knows and likes them. Even established songwriters likes them. I never understood why everybody else are not into the Beatles. I understand music is subjective. But, subjects, let's hear from you. Be understood.

What exactly about the Beatles that is mostly not likable to you? Have you even really heard most of their music? Is their music too simple? You can't relate to it? You have no desire to relate to it? Too boring? Are they too famous? Too of a generation. Are they too geezer? Too corporate? Too obsolete? Too irrelevant to you? Too cute? Too ugly? Too feminine? Too male? Too cocky? Or too not enough balls? Less than eight is not enough? Maybe John Lennon had more than two. Who knows?

https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=htt ... et=1&w=977

But never mind that for now.

"They suck" seems inadequate of an explanation. And "They suck, suck suck suck, I tell you." is no improvement.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

I can't stand John Lennon's voice. It was grating to me like Tom waits or bob Dylan. The music itself was good. Sometimes they seemed to go out of their way to be quirky. Quirkiness itself is fine. But concerted quirkiness is annoying, like frank Zappa.

I don't like what they stand for, i don't like their hair, i don't like their music. I don't think i actually like any one of them. And i don't like the drugs.

Well, you asked. :P

I never got the Beatles hype, frankly. Maybe it was their wild way that was kind of new back then, at least among whites. In hindsight they were very mediocre musically speaking, cheap stuff compared to Talk Talk for instance.
I am happy I was not really exposed to the Beatles when I was young, else I might have a crappy musical taste now 8)

I did like some songs by McCartney and the Wings later on, though. I think I missed synths with Beatles music :hihi:

Erm, they were English.

The thing I'm asking myself is why I would want to know why other people don't like the bands I happen to like.. I find that music either does something to you or it doesn't. I don't really think it's something that can be broken down into 'this is why I like it, this is why I don't'. The Beatles never did anything for me personally - kind of strange because they were played in my home daily from year 0. I only pricked up my ears to music at the age of about 5 when my dad started playing an album called 'What A Bloody Long Day It's Been' by Ashton, Gardner & Dyke.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

masterhiggins wrote:I can't stand John Lennon's voice. It was grating to me like Tom waits or bob Dylan. The music itself was good. Sometimes they seemed to go out of their way to be quirky. Quirkiness itself is fine. But concerted quirkiness is annoying, like frank Zappa.
While I like both Tom Waits' and Bob Dylan's voices, this is pretty much spot on for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think that some of their stuff is spot on and some of their stuff is just annoying shit. I hate the White Album even though I like some of the tracks. To me, it doesn't work as an album at all.

Their stuff is also WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY overplayed.

In general, when people ask, I say that I'm not really a Beatles fan. Which brings up another point, Beatles fans are annoying as f**k.

removed
Last edited by JJ_Jettflow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

While I recognize and appreciate the important role they played in popular music, I never really got into their music because, well, I just didn't. Simply put, they don't sound like the bands that I do enjoy, even though some of those bands were heavily influenced by the Beatles. Go figure. :shrug:

Way back when, the guitarist in one of my bands went through this weird Beatles enlightenment phase and kept trying to impress on the rest of us the genius of their music. The more I listened, the more I realized, nope, their music just doesn't do a thing for me.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Sometimes I find them to be a little twee.
Sometimes I find them to be awful.
Sometimes I find them to be brilliant.

It would amaze me if I loved the entire output of any band that had such a diversity in output, so it doesn't surprise me that other folk have similarly mixed feelings.

Having said that, I would say I like more of their stuff than I don't. And even with the stuff I don't like, I can still recognise it's merits, especially given the context/backdrop of the music business at the time.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: And even with the stuff I don't like, I can still recognise it's merits, especially given the context/backdrop of the music business at the time.
No doubt, for the most part at least. Yoko Ono, nuff said.

ghettosynth wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: And even with the stuff I don't like, I can still recognise it's merits, especially given the context/backdrop of the music business at the time.
removed
Last edited by JJ_Jettflow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:I don't like what they stand for, i don't like their hair, i don't like their music. I don't think i actually like any one of them. And i don't like the drugs.
But what about the trousers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyg1T3qfTU8

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Don't you mean Yoko OH NO!!! :lol:
"Oh no, here we go. Our life is just one big pun"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5YIJ1pZEBc

I do get it ... I do like the Beatles and I get it . There body of work is rather too large and they all had there solo hits too ..outside of the Beatles . So, for me I like there singles and hits mostly and hated them during guitar lessons so much Beatles and Elvis in those Hal Leonard books lolz . Now I do not so much care for early British invasion boy band Beatles ... I don't think they are the greatest band ever too .... And I don't have a favorite Beatles record either . I also don't like Elvis .

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”