Steinberg Brings VST to Linux!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How stable are those windows vst's through wine? With KXStudio, is there any additional steps to use those vst with wine, or does it do that automatically? If so, that would be quite nice indeed 8)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

audiojunkie wrote: I hope some of this helps...... :?
It does, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll decide between Debian or Ubunutu LTS and just go for it.

I read the article, and while it talks about "VSTs" being developed for Linux, what about the stand-alone apps? If you use, say, AmpliTube as an executable (outside of your DAW), should we expect those, too? I don't think they're really covered under Steinberg's "VST" umbrella, but I'm not sure.

I have a Linux machine that I use for learning about Linux (specifically, Ubuntu). If I can also learn about using a DAW on it, that'd be great!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Touch The Universe wrote:How stable are those windows vst's through wine? With KXStudio, is there any additional steps to use those vst with wine, or does it do that automatically? If so, that would be quite nice indeed 8)
I'm not sure. I've focused mainly on native apps. Sorry. :(
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Yes, Linux will be your shizzzle, or you'll struggle like most.

Not trying to be negative, but let's be honest (for a change) it's a different universe and doesn't mean we'll be able to make "music" better. :shrug:

incubus wrote:Yes, Linux will be your shizzzle, or you'll struggle like most.

Not trying to be negative, but let's be honest (for a change) it's a different universe and doesn't mean we'll be able to make "music" better. :shrug:

Yeah, it's nowhere close to prime time. But, for the sake of the rest of the 0.0001% of KVR readers that are interesting in such nerdy things, if, you are a developer and have a developer mindset, and if, you are interested in algorithmic composition, it is a MUCH better tool for playing around with that sort of thing. The reason being that unix is just much better at letting you build processing pipelines at the command line.

I'm not planning on replacing my windows machine, I'm just going to connect it up with some adat audio and some midi to my main machine.

Really hope Linux will get more and more supporters from professional developers now, it's pretty discouraging living in times with what seems to be the last version of Windows and Apple making their 3 years old OS legacy and other stuff.

Personally, if Bitwig had good stock effects and instruments it would be enough for me, so still there is plenty of room for 3rd party offerings to come along, but as far as the synth goes, U-He is there already and wish Spire would get there too, that's doing for me. I don't care about NI, Waves, iZotope&co, so couldn't care less for their support, but would be cool to see some other smaller ones stepping up like ToneBoosters, TBProAudio, ValhallaDSP, Acon Digital, DMG, Klanghelm, TDR, HoRNet and etc.
Last edited by Zexila on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

incubus wrote:Yes, Linux will be your shizzzle, or you'll struggle like most.

I'll be happy to settle for that universe though, as long as I'm able to make music to a not-than-lesser-degree than is available on other platforms, "better" notwithstanding :wink: That's what there announcement is all about, bridging this gap, hopefully, in time. It could be a like a parallel universe with all the trimmings of the parent universe, but being able to function without all the "dark matter" :lol:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Sweet. Now Linux users will be able to experience the delicious instability of VST3 right in their hosts.

I haven't experimented fully with it yet, but with low latency built into the general kernel and Jack de-coupled from Ardour (or with Bitwig), it seems to me that music on Linux should now be as easy as on Windows or Macs. It may seem scary because it is new to the user, or that the paradigm is different, but in my opinion, Jack was the part that could be most confusing, and while still useful, it is no longer needed. It's like ReWire (On steroids) in Windows and OSX--useful, but not needed. With all of the available LV2 (and now VST) plugins available and soon to be available, it should be as simple as clicking on your DAW to start it up, and start immediately making music. It can become much more complicated, of course--there are tons and tons and tons of options and capabilities within Linux that aren't available in the other OSes, but it doesn't HAVE TO BE.

As a long-time (10+ years) Windows DAW user that has moved over, I know how comforting it is to be able to just click on an icon and get straight to work. LINUX IS NOW THIS WAY. My hope, is that VST developers will port over to Linux now and give us the same plugin options that Windows and OSX have. :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Will VSTs eventually be available for Android too?

Android is based on Linux, but quite different anyway I guess.

I suppose in theory it is possible. In truth, Linux is nothing more than the kernel. Everything else in a distro (including android) is added on top of that. So I would imagine that it is completely possible for something like that to happen in android. However, there are still a couple of problems that need to be overcome to make Android a viable platform for plugins. While there has been vast improvements in the realm of Android audio latency, it is still not quite good enough over all to compare equitably with other platforms (some will disagree with me, I'm sure). Second, there are not currently any DAWs supporting the platform. Once DAWs start to support the platform, that will open the door for plugin developers. Things are falling into place more and more for the Android platform, and getting better and better by the year. I truly believe it is only a matter of time. :-)

Linux VSTs for the Raspberry Pi is what is interesting to me. The ability to make an inexpensive host with encoders and touch screen interface is very appealing. I am just getting into Raspberry PI now and I see that Tracktion is going to be compatible with Linux. It might be quite a nice standalone tool as an efx box or plugin host.

audiojunkie wrote:I suppose in theory it is possible. In truth, Linux is nothing more than the kernel. Everything else in a distro (including android) is added on top of that. So I would imagine that it is completely possible for something like that to happen in android. However, there are still a couple of problems that need to be overcome to make Android a viable platform for plugins. While there has been vast improvements in the realm of Android audio latency, it is still not quite good enough over all to compare equitably with other platforms (some will disagree with me, I'm sure). Second, there are not currently any DAWs supporting the platform. Once DAWs start to support the platform, that will open the door for plugin developers. Things are falling into place more and more for the Android platform, and getting better and better by the year. I truly believe it is only a matter of time. :-)
The new version of the Android OS is supposed to make the audio subsystem faster and more responsive--instead of the afterthought it currently is. Maybe that will spur DAW migration. If so, the VSTs are sure to follow.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

audiojunkie wrote:Second, there are not currently any DAWs supporting the platform.
Openlabs Stagelight runs on Android, as well as Windows, MacOS, and iOS and projects can be synced between instances. It's not a top-flight DAW but it's certainly competent. And there are others, as a Google search for "DAW Android" will show.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”