Does KVR mainly turn your creativity on or off?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote:...I'd rather be angry than cry about it.
I think i would be WAY healthier if i could cry for my own life's miseries, rather than be angry about them... but, you know, men aren't supposed to have emotions other than anger and self-assuredness...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Also, without the human element (even though it has its annoyances), i wouldn't have any interest in KVR. The humor and the off-topic sharing... it makes it all much more relatable to me than purely discussing gear, software, and music.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
jancivil wrote:...I'd rather be angry than cry about it.
I think i would be WAY healthier if i could cry for my own life's miseries, rather than be angry about them... but, you know, men aren't supposed to have emotions other than anger and self-assuredness...
I almost cannot cry out of self-pity. I cry at stories that touch me, I cry because of beauty. All the time.

I find certain areas [IE., towns], because of the people there, depressing. I'm glad to be back to the Berkeley area. People are KINDER here. I'm no stranger to misery but I won't absorb other people's shit much.

Jace-BeOS wrote:

Anger can be good but also imo anger can be simple, the easy way out, anger is often a form of avoidance but it also can be a form of crying as well. Too much happy is as bad as too much anger, dont get me wrong, it's about balance and more important balanced responses to each stimuli. All of our emotions are important, even anxiety, the problem is society attaches labels and stigmas like you suggest.

For instance if you google anxiety (I choose anxiety here because I do have a firm grasp on it) you will get a bunch of responses of anxiety disorders yet you have to dig deep to find out why anxiety is good. Anxiety goes hand in hand with fear, like you said men aren't suppose to have some emotions and fear is one. How long would any creature survive without fear? Anxiety is an early warning system built in to protect us, but fear is a negative emotion in many? How we respond is the answer, sometimes fear is appropriate. (please do not forget that ptsd really has messed with my fight/flight instinct which is something I work on daily)

Anxiety and anger also work well together, get mad at what caused you fear (using "you" generically"), blame it on another, call it anger instead (though really you allowed it to "make you mad") and inappropriately take it out on another even though it's quite possible you are angry with yourself. There, now you're not weak, you're strong.

So if you ask me it's way healthier to learn how to appropriately deal with each emotion, but that's very, very hard.

We talk of artists as gifted, the gift is not being great or better, the gift is having something that we can express our emotions through. (my opinion of course) It doesn't have to be an artist, anything really. But (again imo) people mistake expression as a form of communicating with others when it not always is. For instance, if I watch a funny movie or show I laugh when I am all alone, I smile when I am alone, if I hurt myself I yell out when I am alone, if something startles me the same thing. All of these things are forms of expressing my emotions but I am not communicating it to anyone.

It is a gift and a strength to be able to express emotions through your craft, all emotions. Myself over the years of having a DAW with synths and samplers that I can add to my passion of playing guitar I constantly learn how to deal with each emotion and which aspect of my creating process to come from (where as at one point I would just wank on my guitar all day). I know that mostly my guitar playing should come from a good place, that's mostly because getting frustrated playing guitar takes from my passion. But writing synth parts, drums, strings, what have you can all be quite beneficial to different moods and said expressions (mixing I kinda have to be very critical thinking). At the end of the day though no one can be better at expressing my emotions than I and I still am learning so there is still much growth in my future which keeps me going and eases my burden. :tu:

btw one other thing about angry people, a really good dr taught me a simple truth that helps me put them out of mind quickly, his words "remember, that's often how they live their lives". I've had a lot of anger, those words made me think "I dont want to be that guy anymore". :wink:

Please forgive my rambling, but the events of 2016 from the highs to the bitter low really put all of this in perspective for me. Had I not spent countless hours working on this beforehand I may not have survived that kick in the teeth. Seriously, this August will be 24 years clean from a coke addiction and if it wasn't for my resolve and following through with coming here to Maine I likely would have thrown that away, might be dead or worse. But I instead am someone else I like much better and I know Denise would be proud...trust me, I know crying, it is good too
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: btw one other thing about angry people, a really good dr taught me a simple truth that helps me put them out of mind quickly, his words "remember, that's often how they live their lives". I've had a lot of anger, those words made me think "I dont want to be that guy anymore". :wink:
:tu:

Hink wrote:Please forgive my rambling...
No need (have you seen my posts?, ha ha ha). I appreciate everything you said and identify with most of it.

Same to jancivil's comments further up.

Regarding anger and "being that guy": I try not to ever take my anger out on people (occasionally I'm ranty with others, but absolutely never physically). Just myself & inanimate objects suffer (computers deserve it ;-) ). I've been advised to be kind to myself, but I've had very little (and mostly only recent) examples to live by. I'm much better at giving that advice than taking it.

But, because of stuff like this thread, and KVR being full of thoughtful people (whether serious or silly), KVR is really only ever good for my creativity. :)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

chk071 wrote:Neither nor, i would say. Of course, one could argue that one could do more productive things instead, but, frankly, i wouldn't want to miss the kind of info, knowledge, and also opinions you can gather here.
+1
I never stop respecting the possibility to ask expert advice, opinion THE WORLD COMMUNITY. Somewhere is always someone who knows - and what's best, is willing to share his/her knowledge.
(Flaming is just a part of human life, 99 % not dangerous). ;-)

Hink wrote: Please forgive my rambling
No worries, one good KVR rambling from the heart is worth more than billions of petty one-liners and reminds me of the real source of creativity :hug: :tu:

Jace-BeOS wrote: I try not to ever take my anger out on people
I come from the south, my mother from the deep south, where she learned to be polite at all costs, basically.
and passive-aggressive. If push came to shove she was no pushover.
(note: if you ever hear "well bless your heart" in a southern accent, the actual statement is "oh, you poor idiot."

What if *the* reason one is angry *is* people? I'm saying that I won't absorb other people's crap. I was not angry from birth, you know. I push back.

n/m
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
incubus wrote:"It is by gear alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of plugin that thoughts acquire computer speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by gear alone I set my mind in motion"
Fun. Made me think up this one:

"It is by acoustic objects alone i set my music in motion. It is by the CPU-suck of plugins that DAWs acquire slowness, the laptops acquire heat, the heat becomes a warning. It is by acoustic objects alone i set my music in motion."

But no, i have too few acoustic objects i can play to rely on them for music :-D
You know the cure...........

GET SHOPPIN, boooiiii!

Jace-BeOS wrote:you know, men aren't supposed to have emotions other than anger and self-assuredness...
this is what one strives for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj3Rh56iJBI

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”