Who won't survive the purge?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote:I purged myself of the compulsion to collect freeware. It was facilitated by leaving Windows for a Mac and by my Receptor's power supply dying. But this was done years ago by this point.
I agree to a certain extent, but, I'm not talking about "freeware", per se. The positive grid tools were free, but are not freeware. Moreover, some free tools have been absolutely killer beyond words. I won't be purging the Eventide Stereo Room or the Exponential Audio R2 anytime soon thanks, yet both were free.

The purge? A really doggy film series. Mostly bad (but I did like the mad-max type in the second one, kinda)

Positive grid? Mostly a negative experience. YMMV.

+1 on Positive Grid. I had such high hopes for them. Might be something to do with their marketing. But every freebie I've gotten from them has been a disaster. Big files for little or no return.

Positive Grid = Negtive Grid
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Positive Grid = Negative Impact
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

It certainly didn't take long for this thread to veer like a drunken psychotic off his meds back from the cliff's edge.
Gaslighting...is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.

EdSevered wrote:It certainly didn't take long for this thread to veer like a drunken psychotic off his meds back from the cliff's edge.

That's ok really, a little psychotic warbling just adds some experimental flavor. I like my threads to have that. But, um, no pictures of your fiddly bits, ok? I have to draw the line somewhere.

On topic: I can't say why, with clarity, but I was really put off by the IK Multimedia marketing approach, over the last few years. I think it was the creation of the Custom Shop apps, despite whatever free bits they were offering, it has always felt more intrusive and convoluted than convenient. Deleted the apps, and haven't looked at their products since, not even to check my account to see if there's anything I can sell.
Gaslighting...is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.

Aloysius wrote:+1 on Positive Grid. ... Big files for little or no return.
Sadly, this pretty much sums it up. Good tip for spring cleaning.

EdSevered wrote:On topic: I can't say why, with clarity, but I was really put off by the IK Multimedia marketing approach, over the last few years. I think it was the creation of the Custom Shop apps, despite whatever free bits they were offering, it has always felt more intrusive and convoluted than convenient. Deleted the apps, and haven't looked at their products since, not even to check my account to see if there's anything I can sell.
I'm so trying to avoid badmouthing without much cause, but yeah, I'm right there with you. I wasn't even tempted by their compressor and guitar amp freebies recently. I currently only have one IK product, a holder for my iPad. It does the job.

ghettosynth wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:I purged myself of the compulsion to collect freeware. It was facilitated by leaving Windows for a Mac and by my Receptor's power supply dying. But this was done years ago by this point.
I agree to a certain extent, but, I'm not talking about "freeware", per se. The positive grid tools were free, but are not freeware. Moreover, some free tools have been absolutely killer beyond words. I won't be purging the Eventide Stereo Room or the Exponential Audio R2 anytime soon thanks, yet both were free.
Certainly some freeware was fantastic. That's why i had a compulsion... ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Deleted all Positive Grid installers. That's a start anyway.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I did this recently with projects and samples, don't have a huge amount of time to make music as it is and that time is better spent actually using tools that I'm familiar with and know how to get the required results from than taking ages to understand new features in recently acquired plugs that render the same results as I could have managed with what I already own.

Looking at my current VSTs, there's a lot more noise than signal if you catch my drift. Some likely suspects for the garage sale would be Circle 2, Trash 2, Breaktweaker and quite a few freebies that I load, tinker with and then realise that I've got nothing that

a) is useable
b) I couldn't achieve more easily with better results using different plugs

Ho hum, the old idiom "a fool and his money is surely parted" is a common thought when browsing my collection.

I realised that I wasnt using some of my plugins, and I was always looking st some of the other ones out there. Had alot of the u-he demos for a long time, and just think theyre the best so Ive started trading at the buy/sell. Honestly this community is so awesome, it opens doors :) In a sense I feel bad for getting some of my fave plugs cheap since I want to support those devs, but in a tight spot atm.

On my purge list:
Dune 2, Rob Papen Explorer 3, Synthmaster

Its mainly just down to taste and that I feel like I want to spend my valuable time on a focused set of tools, and I feel like the u-he stuff is just the best Ive seen. Also I want to avoid bundles and go for singles to avoid bloating. Last year I traded away Komplete for Ozone adv, this year I bought back fm8 because it was pretty much the only thing I used alot.I also consider myself very much late to the party in terms of discovering the top stuff.

My new aquisitions last month or so:
Reaktor 6, Bazille, Ace, Uhbik, The Glue

I find that Bazille is actually the coolest synth ever, and sounds amazing too. I was a reason user earlier, and somehow I find the patching workflow great for discovering new ideas. I wanted R6 to be able to build whatever gatgets I want instead of buying new all the time. I feel like Im at a point where Im pretty settled in terms of having the tools to just dive in and produce music. (Since i swapped to logic from reason ive been on a quest to settle on a new toolset)

Haha, it's looking like KResearch's reverb plugin will make it to the purge list before it's ever actually installed. I have several unregistered serials that will be up for trade soon.

All of the Bias stuff is going, way to resource heavy for what it does. But I won't bother trading those, they can just hang out in limbo.

I'll tell you one thing, I won't survive another one of those D...ed movies :x

1 and 3 were insanely bad, 2 was only entertaining because it had a "comic book" element to it.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”