Can you really handle the truth/critiques about your work?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some of us think we could and some even ask for it, but than fall apart when we get some "negative" ones, showing we really can't take it, calling other names and implying hate, lies and whatever. But what if person was dead sincere and things he said is just the naked truth, can you really handle the truth?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

No.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Fake news.

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

This is the answer I got lol: It is decidedly so.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

It's not a case of being able to 'handle it' or not - I make music because I need to for my own wellbeing, whether people like it or not is not really a major drive, if they can relate to it that's pleasing and I like to hear that but feedback of any sort is not going to have any effect on the music I create except basic listenability things like if it sounds too loud or distorted but nothing in terms of the music itself. Also my stuff is so personal I don't really expect many people to 'like it'.

Zexila wrote:Some of us think we could and some even ask for it, but than fall apart when we get some "negative" ones, showing we really can't take it, calling other names and implying hate, lies and whatever. But what if person was dead sincere and things he said is just the naked truth, can you really handle the truth?
I think it's all boils down to manners. Some of the hardest criticisms I ever got eventually made me do better. It hurt, sure, but what hurt most was the fact they were right. Lifting out your ego helps.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

aMUSEd wrote:It's not a case of being able to 'handle it' or not - I make music because I need to for my own wellbeing, whether people like it or not is not really a major drive, if they can relate to it that's pleasing and I like to hear that but feedback of any sort is not going to have any effect on the music I create except basic listenability things like if it sounds too loud or distorted but nothing in terms of the music itself. Also my stuff is so personal I don't really expect many people to 'like it'.
Yeah, that is the case when you do music for yourself and I completely agree, but it's other thing when you do work for masses to consume, than external outcome is more valid.
DrGonzo wrote:I think it's all boils down to manners. Some of the hardest criticisms I ever got eventually made me do better. It hurt, sure, but what hurt most was the fact they were right. Lifting out your ego helps.

/C
Yeah, can relate to this, remember my dad gave my naked and cold truth about my music (I forgot to take my stuff from his living room sound system where I was checking my mixes), my sister too, only two folks that gave my plain truth, especially sis helped me to really evolve and hit that sweet spot masses would dig. (that was period when I was into making it big or whatever, so trying to make music for masses)

Guess all boils down what exactly you do if you are trying to sell something or please masses, than it's important you really take it like a man, if you do stuff for your own soul, nothing else matters.

A few caveats mind. This being the winternet people do have a tendency to assume that you should listen to them, however daft their comments are. Sometimes you need to politely agree to disagree. The taste/experience of the critic is important; your gran probably will despise your gabba speedcore techno - doesn't mean it's shit. I put much more store in (constructive) criticism from people who clearly know what they're on about, than some random, 'didn't like the singing/guitar etc' - that's fine but likely more a matter of taste than any objective analysis of the way the song is put together I think.

Yeah, asbsolutely, good stuff guys.

Depends who it is coming from...

:lol: It depends where the criticism comes from and what its aimed at and what its expected outcome is to be! Like your Dad my Dad used to tell me to stop playing that jewish jazz when I was young... now much older I enjoy playing Yiddish folk music and there is a crowd that enjoys it!! But it all depends on context, content and outcome.

For sure, valid point guys. :tu:

Bring It!!!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”