Making music vs Performing It

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sjm wrote:Because the other solo is naff. Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le1ajH32U-k

Satriani also sprang to mind. But it's a lot better than the drivel I posted, let's be honest. Still bores me though.
Hair metal is not my thing, so I didn't even listen to the linked song.

The thing I have never understood is why guitar wanking is considered so much worse than other forms of 'wanking'.

Commercial R and B is filled with (especially female) performers singing 4 extra notes for every note of the melody. Talk about whole songs filled with 'wanking'. And yet, I haven't seen such performers get 10% of the abuse guitarists get.

At least guitarists don't 'wank' through the whole chorus.

Full disclosure, I can neither play guitar nor sing well enough to 'wank' in either context. I can 'wank' quite well on a drum set, but try to avoid doing so in public.

donkey tugger wrote:
sjm wrote:The solo in Fight For Your Right fits perfectly, and it's pretty much as simple as they get.
The mighty Kerry King played it. I always like the solos in Slayer's songs as well; again fit the music perfectly - mental, ludicrous and over the top, and fast.
I don't mind Kerry King, but to me, Slayer is all about Dave Lombardo.

I don't fetishize Drummers, as a rule. And the ultra-fast exploits of bands like Meshugga often sound strained to me. But Dave Lombardo is a complete master of his craft.

jancivil wrote: No one is more fluid than Jeff Beck, however.
Except, of course, Punky Meadows.
I was thinking about this the other day. When I bought Guitar (the follow-up to Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, ca 1989), it was too much guitar soloism in one place for me. There are things I really don't need to hear on that.
But recently I have encountered some absolutely fantastic cuts on it.
I like that album, and wish I still had it. But to me, the high point of all of his guitar-solo- albums was The Deathless Horsie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8qiLkGhUpo8

herodotus wrote:Commercial R and B is filled with (especially female) performers singing 4 extra notes for every note of the melody.
Not my thing either. Find it a turn off. Boils down to the same thing really.

herodotus wrote:
melomood wrote:Well of course
I had a little brain orgasm when Sylvian's 'Gone To Earth' came out with Fripp AND Nelson both on it
Yeah, Fripp got around, didn't he?

I love his work on 'Heroes' and the whole 'Scary Monsters' album. Like an electric Paganini playing Bartok.
Same
I always thought he was best working with strong personalities that could integrate his work into their sound without being overshadowed by it
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

melomood wrote:
herodotus wrote:
melomood wrote:Well of course
I had a little brain orgasm when Sylvian's 'Gone To Earth' came out with Fripp AND Nelson both on it
Yeah, Fripp got around, didn't he?

I love his work on 'Heroes' and the whole 'Scary Monsters' album. Like an electric Paganini playing Bartok.
Same
I always thought he was best working with strong personalities that could integrate his work into their sound without being overshadowed by it
I remember that he went through a bad time, without playing for months. Then Bowie asked him to play on Heroes, and he did most of his parts In one take. Bowie was flabbergasted.

and still makes the hairs on your neck stand up, just that opening ebow run :love:

vurt wrote:and still makes the hairs on your neck stand up, just that opening ebow run :love:
Was it ebow? I watched that BBC documentary with Tony Visconti about the making of the song, and he said it was all done with feedback,which is even more impressive!

https://originalfuzz.com/blogs/magazine ... ies-heroes

im only going by what i read in some book about recording various hits.
im not going to argue with a bloke who was there in favour of some music journalist :hihi:

however it was done, its a bloody good opening to a track :o

donkey tugger wrote:
vurt wrote:and still makes the hairs on your neck stand up, just that opening ebow run :love:
Was it ebow? I watched that BBC documentary with Tony Visconti about the making of the song, and he said it was all done with feedback,which is even more impressive!

Cool. I never saw that before. I remember reading a book about Bowie that had a few anecdotes about the session, but I had never seen the Visconti interview.

No amp! That's insane.

jancivil wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:
jancivil wrote:Believe it or not, I keep my 'mouth' shut like 98.7% of the time. But I've now seen 'I hate guitar solos' one or three too many times.
I don't hate guitar solos. I'm just not interested in them being the majority of a song, and I'm generally not into the music style they are most often found in.
There is a single music style where 'guitar solos' are 'the majority of a song' is there?

NB: the first sentence in your quote of me. Why would one rather talk about what they like rather than this?
Nah, not one single music style. Just most of what I've heard where the guitar is the central figure for most of the song.

I'm not sure about your second paragraph(??). It's true, I more often speak of what I dislike, rather than what i like. What I dislike, or simply don't enjoy, is a larger category. I'm pretty focused/narrow on my tastes. It probably has a negative influence on what I create. I'm like this with every art form. I'm also used to being a fringe element in the things I like, so it's probably also defensive.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

jancivil wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Don't see a difference, I make music as I perform it
I'm interested in this statement. Are you saying that your performances are your compositional acts? That they're one and the same?
Ever hear of improvisation? Composing in real-time, even.
Improvisation, yes. I don't do it as a performance, since I don't have the required dexterity with any instrument. But most, if not all, of what I create is in some way improvisational; just lots of takes and multiple tracks. A couple of my "piano pieces" are even one take of improv per hand.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

herodotus wrote: The thing I have never understood is why guitar wanking is considered so much worse than other forms of 'wanking'.

Commercial R and B is filled with (especially female) performers singing 4 extra notes for every note of the melody. Talk about whole songs filled with 'wanking'. And yet, I haven't seen such performers get 10% of the abuse guitarists get.
I'm trying not to throw abuse, but yes, I feel the same about divas. Male and female. Maybe guitarists get more abuse because of the perception of arrogance, where divas get worshipped because of their "soulfulness" (bleh, yuck... IMO).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

herodotus wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:

Cool. I never saw that before. I remember reading a book about Bowie that had a few anecdotes about the session, but I had never seen the Visconti interview.

No amp! That's insane.
Ha, neat!

I'm just not willing to damage my hearing further to work with people who work like that (or try to mess with extreme volume myself, though I've done it for feedback loops). Still, cool end results!

Extreme volume is another thing that puts me off performance... My hearing has to last me a couple decades more yet, preferably without even worse ringing.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”