Creating a Kontakt Player Instrument

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kontakt Player

Well that's exactly what i'm saying all the time to all the people i know in the audio field :)
But the price should not be that much higher. This price is for 1000 licences. So just divide it yourself... the only real problem here is that you can't have less that 1000 licences...

By the way, if there is any dev that is up to make such a sampler, even a simple one, i don't use all the fancy stuff (except the scripting) that has disk streaming for mac and PC and that also has scripts, i'm all for it (and i'm ready to help even if i'm not the best coder in the world)!

wow, thanks for the responses. The licensing for the player is really out of mere mortal's reach, it looks like. I agree with thysm00, I wish there were some dev who could do a simple sample player that we can just embed samples, that'd be great.

vksf01 wrote:I agree with thysm00, I wish there were some dev who could do a simple sample player that we can just embed samples, that'd be great.
Huh???

Anything that supports SFZ would be one place to start... WusikStation, for example... lots of 3rd party products based on that engine... or just SFZ+ (free!) for playback... ???

The problem is that Kontakt provides a relatively stable, high-performance disk streaming solution that can handle large samplesets and voice counts, and oh by the way it has some pretty nifty capabilities for complex engine behavior....

SFZ+ is a SF2 player only.

SFZ with streaming and scripting would be really nice...

(But René doesn't believe in streaming and no one seems to want to push SFZ into completely new places, e.g. scripting support...)

Yeah, that's right, sfz+ doesn't actually load SFZ format, but the old sfz plugin does load SFZ... :? or something... forgot about that... Anyway, there are existing sample playback engines out there, like SampleLord and whatever.

DragonSagoth wrote:I can get a car for that sum (if it's really $10000+), damn!

(Or a brand new PC with 2 6-core Intel Xeons 5600, 48 GB of RAM, 1200W power supply, water cooling, big tower, a couple of bitchin' dual-DVI graphics cards AND 4 24" monitors to go along with it! Shit!)
But you'll be ready to play Microsoft Flight Simulator. :hihi:

glokraw wrote:
DragonSagoth wrote:I can get a car for that sum (if it's really $10000+), damn!

(Or a brand new PC with 2 6-core Intel Xeons 5600, 48 GB of RAM, 1200W power supply, water cooling, big tower, a couple of bitchin' dual-DVI graphics cards AND 4 24" monitors to go along with it! Shit!)
But you'll be ready to play Microsoft Flight Simulator. :hihi:
hehehehe....
hehehehe
Best larf tonight ;-)

About the SFZ player... unfortunately, it plays SFZ files but not in streaming... the streaming is only for SF2 files... (that, by the way is really odd...). And the second big problem is that it's windows only...

If you are doing something simple and not too massive SFZ would be a fine way to cater to those who won't pay for a sampler. Of course the people who have Kontakt will prefer Kontakt instrument patches to go with the samples, but you can do that without the Kontakt Player licensing.

Competition is always good for the customer, but I don't think NI will be disappearing any time soon and it would be far from trivial for someone to whip up a simple sampler with some of Kontakt's powerful features.

Timeline reminder:
SFZ 0.x (no SFZ format, SF2 only, free) -> SFZ+ (SF2 player, payware) -> SFZ 1.x (SFZ format development, free) -> DimPro (payware)
thysm00 wrote:the streaming is only for SF2 files... (that, by the way is really odd...).
Like I say, René doesn't believe in streaming. That doesn't stop someone doing an SFZ sampler with streaming. (And it hasn't.)
thysm00 wrote:And the second big problem is that it's windows only...
Last time I tried it under WINE on Linux it had a couple of problems but just about ran. And there are implementations of the SFZ engine that do run on Macs, so it's not like the format is Windows-only.

Well i wasn't talking about the format, i know that there are sfz players that run on macs, i was just saying that none has disk streaming.
By the way the ARIA player plays SFZ files and seems to be solid, but it's not really free or affordable (garritan has the rights on it), but as soon as you have bought any garritan lib, the aria player is yours and will open sfz files.

The last time I heard about SFZ was when I worked on SONAR 4... I don't know why you are discussing this as an alternative, since it lacks almost every functionality that make todays sample libraries better than those from 10 years ago...

The simple alternative to the high KP-licensing prices is a normal KONTAKT patch and a full version of KONTAKT. Although it can be dangerous (see Google) if there is no competition in market, you have to agree that the features and ease of use (especially on the developer side) created a whole market of third party developers who doesn't have to bother on low end functionality like disk streaming optimization but can concentrate on making better sample libraries.

I just don't understand why some sample library developers keep on publishing KP-Instruments, because I can't see the economical upsides. Since the death of GIGA, KONTAKT is the most important sampler in the market, so I would assume that the majority of users have a full license, which should make a development for Kontakt Player redundant. Sure, you get copy protection, but not a very effective one...

Chrisboy2000 wrote:T... it lacks almost every functionality that make todays sample libraries better than those from 10 years ago...
Are you serious? Of course it lacks a lot of things, but it has most functionalities that are needed to build any instrument, the only really important feature that it's missing is the script, just look at the ARIA player, it's based on SFZ, they just added some opcodes.
Chrisboy2000 wrote: The simple alternative to the high KP-licensing prices is a normal KONTAKT patch and a full version of KONTAKT.
Well it's not an alternative, it's what we have all been beginning with.
Chrisboy2000 wrote: I just don't understand why some sample library developers keep on publishing KP-Instruments...the majority of users have a full license
this isnt true, i get emails of potential customers every day that are asking if this will run with the player because they don't have kontakt sampler (even if it's written on every products page...) so i can't even imagine all the people that don't even bother to ask.
I know a lot of people that love audio stuff and that once thought about sample libraries but when they know that they have to spend like 350€ on a sampler before being able to use a library, they just quit or go for a library that is bundled with a player.

Have you checked out the Maize Sampler 2?

I haven't tested it myself (yet) but apparently it allows you to build sample based instruments with disk streaming and all, and then convert them into independent VST or AU players.

www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=113
www.maizesoft.cn/cms/?q=node/20

It's not expensive, USD 89 for a full licence, and apparently no license fees for the players. The dev seems to be very responsive to suggestions about added features.

Best,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Yep i know about this one, in fact i'm considering it, i bought the licence, but some important features (at least for my needs) are still missing :)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”