Synth Magic ZOM ZOM for kontakt Polymoog based Kontakt instrument.

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

synaesthesia wrote:Another cracker Steve.

Any plans for a Pro One emulation? ;)
Have you seen the Wave Alchemy one. Steve did that one I think.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

Thanks King Tubby.

Good name. Classic stuff. :)

breakmixer wrote:Hi Steve, curious to know where Freeez used the original(what specific track/tracks and which sound), do you know this?

Freeez are one of my fave old school bands! I pressume we are Talking the John Rocca Freeez!
Hi,
Wiki states they used a Polymoog - not sure what track.
I know the band Imagination used a 280a on the track Just an illusion - I know this because I once contacted Leee John via Myspace, asking what synth made that phased stab sound on the track. Leee John got back to me and said he did not know, but passed on the question and my email on to Tony Swain who produced it and he gave me a massive run down on what was used.
He said Preset 9 through an mxr phaser.
I thought that was really great that they went to all that trouble.

Cheers.
Last edited by synthmagic on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

kingtubby wrote:
synaesthesia wrote:Another cracker Steve.

Any plans for a Pro One emulation? ;)
Have you seen the Wave Alchemy one. Steve did that one I think.
Hi, sorry for late reply - been asleep.
Yes Wave Alchemy do a Pro 1 called Pro II.
cheers
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

Pre-ordered :) Another winner, Steve!

BTW. Saw Gary in Auckland on the Pleasure Principle tour about 20 months ago. Brilliant night.

Redspark wrote:Pre-ordered :) Another winner, Steve!

BTW. Saw Gary in Auckland on the Pleasure Principle tour about 20 months ago. Brilliant night.
Thank you.
I'm in the process of finishing off the presets for Zom Zom and there is a nice Airline preset.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit!

synthmagic wrote:
breakmixer wrote:Hi Steve, curious to know where Freeez used the original(what specific track/tracks and which sound), do you know this?

Freeez are one of my fave old school bands! I pressume we are Talking the John Rocca Freeez!
Hi,
I know the band Imagination used a 280a on the track Just an illusion - I know this because I once contacted Leee John via Myspace, asking what synth made that phased stab sound on the track. Leee John got back to me and said he did not know, but passed on the question and my email on to Tony Swain who produced it and he gave me a massive run down on what was used.

Cheers.
Got that 12" too in my soul/funk collection, can't recall what sound you mean - that track is famous for it's bass and arp sequence.

synthmagic wrote:Thats the one - I'm a Numan fanatic
Good for you :tu:
Come to 'Zom Zoms'
A place to eat
Like it was built
In one day
You can watch the humans
Trying to run

breakmixer wrote:
synthmagic wrote:

Hi,

Cheers.
Got that 12" too in my soul/funk collection, can't recall what sound you mean - that track is famous for it's bass and arp sequence.
When I described the sound to Leee John I described it as 'The sound that goes do do dooo do' lol he managed to get the sound I was burbling on about from that. Don't know how else to describe . It comes in at around 20 seconds in the track.
Tony Swain said the bass line was from a Roland SH-1000 and played in by hand to a multitrack reel to reel over a period of about 3 days as he had to overdub new parts to fix mistakes - They did not have a sequencer he said.

Just An Illusion is such a superb track. The phased "illusion" vocal in the bridge always gets me (the one with the boop boop boop aah ahhs around it) :D

Redspark wrote:Just An Illusion is such a superb track. The phased "illusion" vocal in the bridge always gets me (the one with the boop boop boop aah ahhs around it) :D
They had access to an EMT plate reverb aswell according to the producer.
I'm going to get an mxr phaser for that phased sound they used on the Polymoog.

Well done Steve on another great product,cannot wait till Friday for this one.

Regards
Terry
Music producer and engineer for 25 years product tester for Arturia
aka Logicaldream

Synthmagic = auto purchase
Amazon: why not use an alternative

synthmagic wrote: When I described the sound to Leee John I described it as 'The sound that goes do do dooo do' lol he managed to get the sound I was burbling on about from that. Don't know how else to describe . It comes in at around 20 seconds in the track.
Tony Swain said the bass line was from a Roland SH-1000 and played in by hand to a multitrack reel to reel over a period of about 3 days as he had to overdub new parts to fix mistakes - They did not have a sequencer he said.
The do do, d-d-du, du, d-du, du-du, do do, d-d-du, du, d-du, d-du, d-du, do-do sound?

That's the sequence style sound I'm talking about(I think), sounds a bit like an electric piano played using a single key, however their is a chorded stab also just before he first starts singing - rather more a bright brass sounding stab.

The bass from 'Illusions' has been remade by Himalaya for Alchemy in his Vintage Sound pack.

I think as in the Freeez case it may of pre dated the 'Gonna Get You'(IOU/Pop Goes My Love LP), because they went to New York to do that album, Jellybean and Arthur Baker had a big hand in that LP(Baker used a micromoog and prophet 5 for Play At Your Own Risk/Planet Rock and I noticed similar sounds on IOU like the fairlight Orch5 and Roland 808 - so maybe the same synths). I think we may be looking at the 'Southern Freeez LP' period for the use of this Polymoog by the band themselves. Maybe...

My favourite sound on Southern Freeez track is that big paddy sweeping sound! 3:24 seconds > Wonder if you can spot an Polymoog sounds here steve?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwjEIur4t-Q

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”