Unreal! Nine Volt Audio going out of business!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yeah yeah business blah blah suit wearin motherfuckers.

What matters is are the samples good? Worth $199 (however much of a slice of your time on this planet that equals, as decided by the monetary gods of our lives)? It's the internet, a company has to do what it has to do to get noticed.

I mean what would the bureaucrats do if the world suddenly went completely telepathic, and every thought everybody had was suddenly openly available to everyone else?

Hell yeah I'd push that big red button. I'd hit it with everything I had.

Definitely yes (read: worth it) for the Taiko and Stickbreaker Series, also for the Action Drums and Beat Aesthetics.

Melodic REX and Textural REX is a nice add on to the Zero-G TotalREX bundle, or whatever comes with StylusRMX. Though my personal focus was always "beats", not melodic loops.

If I had the funds, I'd grab the full bundle now. But I'm happy with what I have. Not that much of a songwriter anyway.
Last edited by Compyfox on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Codestation wrote:What matters is are the samples good? Worth $199 (however much of a slice of your time on this planet that equals, as decided by the monetary gods of our lives)? It's the internet, a company has to do what it has to do to get noticed.
In general it doesn't matter until there is some OS or DAW upgrade that leads to incompatabilities, and then suddenly it starts to matter a lot

But why bother about that now, if you can rant about it when it happens instead?

Not really sure what the fuss is about. These packs are samples, right?

I just got the free Taiko pack that was on offer, and it's great. If the rest of the series is like this, I'm not sure what 'support' would be necessary. They're samples. Unless you download a corrupted file, which you would know right away, how much actual downside are you looking at?
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

tcollins wrote:I certainly don't believe that this was a marketing ploy. Until you have worked on a project for months or years, and had your work uploaded to a file sharing site and downloaded for free by thousands, before you have had the chance to sell nearly enough to make it worth the effort, you have no idea what he went through. It's devastating, and it takes a while to come to terms with. Honest, hard working, creative people do not understand how someone else can intentionally and callously cause them such harm.
I imagine Kyle decided that there are enough good people out there that it's worth another shot. That's it. Not some underhanded ploy.
Blame the pirates, not the man who has the guts to keep on going despite piracy!
I completely empathize with independent devs and have a good deal of devs who are friends. I've helped -- primarily for free -- more than two dozen small independent devs I largely met via KVR (most of them made libraries and VSTs I purchased and enjoyed, but some just posted they needed help about something where I had experience/expertise; ftr, I stopped doing this several yrs ago after my second child left me with little spare time). But I also believe that honest people who buy the libraries and refuse to use pirated libraries deserve clear and honest communications and I think Kyle needs to do a better job of communicating more openly and accurately.

Again, I'm certainly not saying that Kyle ever had any bad intent -- I have no idea about his intent, only his actions and public communications. He advertised a going out of business sale stating he was absolutely closing his doors at the end of 2013 -- which US regulations basically say a going out of business sale is serious business, you really have to be going out of business, you can't use that claim it lightly. Then staying open 3-4 months past that date -- and advertising past that date... His website now states that he closed his doors in January of this year, but anyone can see from this thread that his business was still open months past Jan. Combine that with his currently conducting a display advertising campaign on Facebook. I just hope he communicates more openly and more accurately in this matter going forward, that's all. Until he does, I'll put money on it that his Facebook advertising is likely to aggravate at least some of those past customers, especially ones who rushed a purchased based on his claims that he was going out of business. It's not the end of the world, and there's certainly been a lot worse stuff out there, but I think he should practice better communications, especially when he's paying money on stuff like heavily targeted Facebook display advertising.

Anyhow, enough said.

Peace.

Numanoid wrote:
CableChannel wrote:Exactly. Going out of business is a big thing that you think about long and well and you do it once in a lifetime. But for some chaps it's like going on vacations, they have no problem doing
As noted above recurring going-out-of-biz sales, in many areas it is an illegal way to operate, like in Georgia/USA:
http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-to ... ness-sales
And yet this isnt a 'going-out-of-biz' sale, and there's no claim that it is, so there's no 'recurrence' to be complaining about. There was a 'going-out-of-biz sale', but Ive yet to see someone present evidence that its illegal to do a 'going out-of-biz-sale', and then do a 'okay we're going to reopen for a few days and sell some more at the on-sale price' sale. Which is what this is. Its not being presented as another 'closing down sale' at all.

So far this thread seems to be predicated on the inference, without any supporting evidence btw, that the original sale was not really prompted by a genuine intention to close the business, that it was just a marketing tactic, and that this new availability was planned as part of that. Again, just seems like the same people as always shrieking 'guilty until proven innocent'

Or is someone going to try and argue the case that because they stated an intention to shut up this particular shop, they're legally bound never to sell these products again? Because that seems to be what some people seem to be implying.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I got the free taiko link but it was expired when I tried on my computer like a day or two later :/

@arkmabat: Strange. I initially downloaded the free Taiko in WAV. After more than 2 days decided I want the REX. It was still there for me to download. They said it'll be gone after 336 hours or 9 attempts to download.

This message I received November 11, 2013 from 9VA:
Nine Volt Audio is shutting its doors wrote:In January 2014 we will stop selling our libraries.

In a few days we will launch a “Going Out of Business” Group Buy sale.

A Group Buy is a sale where the deal gets better as more people purchase.

Before the sale is announced publicly, we will offer you a 72-hour window to get the best possible deal of the Group Buy – GUARANTEED – with no waiting and no wondering.

Stay tuned for details!

http://www.NineVoltAudio.com
Maybe I need glasses but it looks very much like a going out of business sale, has already been held and should be closed a long time ago?

whyterabbyt wrote:Or is someone going to try and argue the case that because they stated an intention to shut up this particular shop, they're legally bound never to sell these products again? Because that seems to be what some people seem to be implying.
In some areas like Georgia it is illegal:

"This law prohibits conducting a going-out-of-business sale for more than 90 days. After this time limit has expired, it is against the law to do business in any manner contrary to representations that were made about the nature of the sale."

I can't see software listed on the list of exceptions.

Numanoid wrote:This message I received November 11, 2013 from 9VA:
Nine Volt Audio is shutting its doors wrote:In January 2014 we will stop selling our libraries.

In a few days we will launch a “Going Out of Business” Group Buy sale.

A Group Buy is a sale where the deal gets better as more people purchase.

Before the sale is announced publicly, we will offer you a 72-hour window to get the best possible deal of the Group Buy – GUARANTEED – with no waiting and no wondering.

Stay tuned for details!

http://www.NineVoltAudio.com
Maybe I need glasses but it looks very much like a going out of business sale, has already been held and should be closed a long time ago?
wow, someone did try to argue the case that because they stated an intention to shut up this particular shop, they're legally bound never to sell these products again.

I guess some us do have a Ralph Nader persona in us, other users obviously don't

Numanoid wrote:In some areas like Georgia it is illegal:
In some areas like Georgia, oral sex is illegal. Is it your contention that Georgian law should be taken as standard, or is it the only example you could actually find, and you dont want to admit that there are places where its not illegal.

whyterabbyt wrote:they stated an intention to shut up this particular shop, they're legally bound never to sell these products again.
In the particular state of Georgia it is illegal to do recurring going-out-of-biz sales.

See if you manage to contect the dots.

Numanoid wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:they stated an intention to shut up this particular shop, they're legally bound never to sell these products again.
In the particular state of Georgia it is illegal to do recurring going-out-of-biz sales.

See if you manage to contect the dots.
No, I cant join those dots, for this particular company based in Nashville, Tennessee. Please state exactly what the dots are for all of us to enjoy.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”