Kontakt best alternative?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Kontakt Best Alternative?

Plogue sforzando
13%
SampleTank
6%
ImageLine DirectWave
5%
Simple Plain Universal Sfz
8%
HighLife
1%
Shortcircuit
5%
ZamplerRX
1%
Wusikstation
3%
TX16Wx
11%
Sonic Charge Cyclone
No votes
CMPlay
No votes
motu mach5
11%
SF2
4%
Halion
13%
Alchemy
14%
Maize Sampler VSTi
6%

Total votes: 139

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't seen yet MF3 or Kontakt... But yesterday I have seen on youtube what Renoise is able to do with samples... gosh! I guess that's what I wish inside my Reaper - it looks amazing and it's even less pricy than many vsts. I am just don't sure if you can compare it with the other options mentioned here.

Expect a couple of new Sfz libraries in the coming months. :party:

my main issue with SFZ is that its a bit unpredictable, some players support more attributes than others, which leads to some sounding different or plain wrong.

eg loading the same SFZ on these:
-Alchemy player
-tx16wx
-Dimension Pro
-Rapture
-Zampler
-DirectWave
-Presence (studio one)

will all sound a bit different depending on attributes used.

Also SFZ just seems to be a keymapping script, I dont think effects are included. (and players have different sounding effects anyway)
Last edited by gamecat666 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

I voted for sforzando,
but I think UVI Workstation is the absolute shizzlesnaps.
[Insert Signature Here]

gamecat666 wrote:my main issue with SFZ is that its a bit unpredictable, some players support more attributes than others, which leads to some sounding different or plain wrong.

eg loading the same SFZ on these:
-Alchemy player
-tx16wx
-Dimension Pro
-Rapture
-Zampler

will all sound a bit different depending on attributes used.

Also SFZ just seems to be a keymapping script, I dont think effects are included. (and players have different sounding effects anyway)
all true. regarding the opcode i'd say go with sforzando since is it available free for everyone on all platforms.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Isn't there internal effects in the sfz format? I remember vaguely someone writing about this here.

Effects are the most non standard part of SFZ.

First because there is no two DSP algo that sound exactly the same, second because it would be nearly impossible for a specification to dictate a precise sound of a reverb, chorus or flanger sound, short of providing a default C implementation.

Dimension Pro has a bunch of effects which all require custom opcodes to work, for ARIA we've decided not to add opcodes for each and every effect we added, instead we went for the plugin route and use typical VST/AU-like paradigms to edit settings (vendor_specific strings, flat parameter list,etc).
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

Agreed on releasing to a free format, that is the only reason I can see financially to go anywhere but Kontakt for Indy producer types. Then your potential user base is everyone with a DAW rather than everyone with X instrument platform.
On a side note thanks to davidv@plogue for sforzando. Its the only free sfz player that I've found to reliably play huge sfzs.

What do you recommend for sfz sample mapping? For some reasons, SFZ_ProgramEditor don't like my sound files (it doesn't load).

Also, can I include ADSR envelopes settings in the sfz or it's the people who should do that in their sample players?

SampleScience wrote:Expect a couple of new Sfz libraries in the coming months.
Expect to be severely pirated too! :?

hollowsun wrote:
Thank you for the support... :?

:hihi: :clown:

SampleScience wrote:What do you recommend for sfz sample mapping? For some reasons, SFZ_ProgramEditor don't like my sound files (it doesn't load).

Also, can I include ADSR envelopes settings in the sfz or it's the people who should do that in their sample players?
You can do all the mapping, zone tuning, round robins and levelling e.g. in Kontakt and then use a sfz-converter like Translator Pro (chickensystems/Mac) which converts
nkis->sfz. ADSR settings usually don't translate, at least that's my experience when loading my own sfzs in e.g. Alchemy or MachFive 3. All the other settings do translate.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EDIT: user error.

SampleScience wrote:What do you recommend for sfz sample mapping? For some reasons, SFZ_ProgramEditor don't like my sound files (it doesn't load).

sforzando has a build in format converter: you drop SF2, DLS or acidized WAV files directly on the interface, and they will automatically get converted to SFZ 2.0, which you can then edit and tweak.

of course you can include ADSR envelope settings in sfz with the opcode "ampeg".
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

SampleScience wrote:
hollowsun wrote:
Thank you for the support...
Look, I am not trying to be negative, arsey or difficult but I have been doing this for 30 years or more and I've seen sample formats come and go. SFZ is a pirate's paradise and I think pretty much all my stuff is out there in SFZ format (not that I should be advertising that, perhaps!).

I don't know but I suspect that because the player is free, everyone expects SFZ sounds to be free as well ... so people just take them and upload them to dodgy webshites or torrents as though it's fair game. It's a mentality problem perhaps.

I am just saying that if you plan to sell in SFZ format, be prepared to be be ripped off, maybe big time. S'all.

But if that's ok with you, well... fair enough

Stephen

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”