EZ DRUMMER 2

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
EZdrummer 2

EZ Keys will analyze your existing MIDI, so I was hopeful EZD2 might as well. Still, it's pretty amazing.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

It looks like we will find out soon enough 8)

The fact that they use the word "algorithms" to describe the features gives me hope that there's something a little more than simple tagging here. Let's see what happens...

noiseboyuk wrote:I think it's likely I'll abandon SD2 til it becomes SD3
Two major differences between EZDrummer and Superior Drummer are processed vs. non-processed samples and pre-mixed vs. freely mixable microphones.

SD gives you access to unprocessed samples and lets you mix sounds for kick and snare together from up to three microphones, and lets you send those single microphones out through dedicated outputs into your host.

In EZDrummer, everything is pre-processed. The video shows that they've built in a sort-of EZMix-ish approach that lets you change certain FX parameters, but the samples are still "take 'em or leave 'em", and you have no control over -for example- how loud the sub-kick mic is, or over the balance of the snare's top/bottom mics.

The new library mixing approach in EZD2 is way easier to handle than the XDrum feature in SD2, I agree, but it has one significant drawback: you can only completely replace kit pieces. In SD2, several XDrums can be layered to one key, so you can mix your own custom "Frankensnare" from snares in 3 different EZXs/SDXs together. With the new thing, this doesn't seem to be possible.

I sincerely hope that one day SD2 users like myself can enjoy an easier way of assigning cross-library instruments like in EZD2 now, but still layerable, but I wouldn't want to miss all the aforementioned possibilities, so I wouldn't dream of abandoning SD2 just yet.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Chokehold - actually many of the ezxs do have separate channels for various kick mics, snare top / bottom etc. For example, Metalheads has Kick Right, Kick Left, Kick Trig, Snare top, Snare bottom, Snare trigger. I always think the EZXs offer a lot more scope than most people seem to think. And of course, if I need to do any work on them, I take them out into the DAW anyway - and all those mics can have their own output. That's a bit of a flaw in the whole SD2 process-everything-in-the-app for me - often you'll want to sidechain to other stuff in the mix, automate the faders etc, so you may as well take it all out into the DAW, so why use their slightly cumbersome mixer? Also although there's nice effects in SD2, there are glaring omissions. So it ends up being complex and yet not complex enough... the whole thing just ends up being frustrating for me.

I get that the samples in the EZXs are pre-processed to some degree, but there's still heaps of room for your own work. Anyway, I'm just too pragmatic these days... why start from scratch if all the heavy lifting is done for you?

But hey, some love SD2 and there's no doubting the quality. From here on in though, I'm 98% sure I'll be sticking with EZD2.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Just ordered EZ Drummer (licence download) with free upgrade to EZ Drummer 2 from JRR.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on it :hyper:

So what is the upgrade price?

$99 or $89 upgrade, depending on whether or not you buy it at the Toontrack store, or elsewhere. I suspect a couple of the discount retailers will find a way to reduce the price even more :hihi:

EDIT, I got it. Ok, preordering from sweetwater now.
Last edited by hibidy on Sun May 04, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seems like a good update , but I'm gonna hold out for a little longer or until I see an official KVR review , I'm interested about how well the tap groove finder works and if the song builder is any good and if the midi library of grooves has grown . I'm sure the 5 new kits and also the percussion goodies are worth it though .

Ok, early adapter here. Come on tuesday! :hihi:

hibidy wrote:Ok, early adapter here. Come on tuesday! :hihi:
Let us know what you like and dislike , I'm really interested to see if the song builder and groove tapper is gonna save some time or lost inspiration . I'm having a hard time not pre ordering the upgrade . Drum programming and arranging can be tedious for guitar orientated songwriters with a dose of ADHD . That me . :idiot:

:hihi:

I will be anxious to hear your review :D

fedexnman wrote: Drum programming and arranging can be tedious for guitar orientated songwriters with a dose of ADHD . That me . :idiot:
+1 :hyper: :wheee: :dog:

blueman wrote:
fedexnman wrote: Drum programming and arranging can be tedious for guitar orientated songwriters with a dose of ADHD . That me . :idiot:
+1 :hyper: :wheee: :dog:
I'm glad its not just me ..... :party:

fedexnman wrote:
Let us know what you like and dislike , I'm really interested to see if the song builder and groove tapper is gonna save some time or lost inspiration . I'm having a hard time not pre ordering the upgrade . Drum programming and arranging can be tedious for guitar orientated songwriters with a dose of ADHD . That me . :idiot:
It's not just you. I'm super guilty. I'm working a piece right now (in live) that has a bunch of potential (as usual) but other than it's simplistic basics, I can't "write" anything around it. Just keep pressing new scenes and "jamming" over it :hihi:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”