So...Who's all using Chicken Systems Translator?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

muslimpunk wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Anything that is a Kontakt Player library is encrypted.
That completely sucks.

Does that mean that all the K libraries that "require full Kontakt etc" will be translated smoothly ? Or that varies on a case to case basis ?
They should be. As long as the destination format supports the same features.

Obviously any of the more advanced features and functionality would be lost.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Kontakt Player libraries are encrypted into NKX monoliths for a reason... They are not supposed to be transferred to an open format like SFZ.

EvilDragon wrote:Kontakt Player libraries are encrypted into NKX monoliths for a reason... They are not supposed to be transferred to an open format like SFZ.

Yes we know ED .... Just wondering....

I want access without buying 40 GB worth of stuff that i do not want or need....

its wierd how so many release commercial content without doing anything extradordinary with the much touted Kontakt scripting... they could have saved everyone the pain and just released it in sfz.

Yeah i know...the piracy.... :roll:

Strangely I have found that those who steal will always steal, and those who believe in honesty will always pay

So all these locked sample librabries are still available on torrents and warez sites. It just inconveniences genuine buyers and potential customers.

Anything Kontakt that you have to authorize via NI's Service Center cannot be converted into another format and played with another engine. (Or, any nki/nkm/nkb that does not reference WAVE or AIFF files.)

Authorization is the library's form of copy-protection; and one (perhaps) unintended consequence of that is you must use the library in their player. If you convert it out, by definition it defeats the copy-protection.

That sucks in terms of flexibility, sure, but at least Kontakt is an excellent player. Why not just use it in Kontakt? Plus, copy-protection allowed the library to be developed in the first place - incentive for profit made the time and effort possible.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com
http://www.chickensys.com

We love chicken systems - just wanted to put that out there! it's so useful when processing MASS data every day like us!

Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

Strangely I have found that those who steal will always steal, and those who believe in honesty will always pay. So all these locked sample libraries are still available on torrents and warez sites. It just inconveniences genuine buyers and potential customers.
This is OT to the thread but I do agree with what you are saying.

However remember that the solution isn't to remove locks from your car or house. Given a unimpeded ability to use software (not torrents but just people blatantly posting software because it's unprotected), "honest" users will use the software and not pay for it. That's not calling these "honest" people dishonest, it just means that it's generally understood that locking your door also means "this is private and only for the invited". Copy-protection in and of itself shows and preserves value, and keeps honest people honest.

Most copy-protection is transparent with few inconveniences, although I completely agree there are glaring exceptions.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

muslimpunk wrote:- Can I install and work with a download only version ? I don't trust the physical mail services in my area ...Anyways, it is 2014 and even muti giga byte sample libraries are all downloads. In fact I do not remember the last time i actually used a CD for installing a music related software.
That's a good and common question. Our CD is our copy-protection (for now), so it's required for long-term use. You can however immediately download a temporary build that expires when you get the CD in the mail. best of both worlds. After you get the CD, you are not dependent at all for us for installs, which is another good thing.

Personally, I think this is a hugely unique and innovative way of doing it. It's worked extremely well for our customers and us. AFAIK we are the only ones doing such a thing.

Sample libraries are easy to offer download because they already have copy-protection in them by definition. Plus, authors found it extremely necessary because shipping out hard drives or jump drives or batches of 8 DVD's was way too problematic.

We commonly get asked this question because people want to avoid shipping charges. I understand that, especially when international shipping has skyrocketed in price. And we are moving toward a download-only solution too, but that's expensive and we will pass the cost onto the customer, so that effectively washes out any savings from shipping.

CD's are on the way out but they aren't out quite yet. By that time, we'll be out of it too.
- Is it true that this software will unlock all nki's for me?
No, see below.
There is a note on the product page to the effect that this only works with non-encrypted kontakt stuff. How do I know what is encrypted or not encrypted
If it has to be authorized via Service Center, and also if it does NOT rely on WAVE or AIFF for the samples, it can't be converted. Also, Translator will tell you whats possible or not possible as well.

HOWEVER, Translator has an autosampler and you can autosample the protected NKI's you like. That's isn't the most perfect solution, but it's something.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

chickeneps wrote:if it does NOT rely on WAVE or AIFF for the samples, it can't be converted.
Is this a longer way of saying that libraries using NI's NCW compression won't be possible to be converted directly, one would first have to do a batch collect on those to spread them out to WAVs?

Exactly, good observation.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

Thanks chickenps for your detailed answers to my questions.

I will abstain from buying the coverter right now because if the cd gets damaged or doesnt arrive , i'll be screwed. This is likely in kuwait, hence my preference for downloads.

But it definitely is an intriguing and tempting product. As is constructor. Another time maybe.

Cheers

Okay, decided to spend some time with the software today.
Once again met with the 'problem with your key code' dialogue box.
Resubmitted the information and it came up with 'Incorrect Password'.

This seems to be the biggest bug in the software I've found so far.
Contacted support again. And requested CDs again while I'm at it.
This might have something to do with why I haven't used it?
The time it takes getting the authorization to stick wears me out from actually using it.

It's been on the same machine with no changes.
This is a glitch that needs to be fixed.

It's not a bug, that's by design (considering your particular situation); got your email, am responding there.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

chickeneps wrote:It's not a bug, that's by design (considering your particular situation); got your email, am responding there.
Thanks, got your reply email. Just to clarify for others, I have Sampler Tools which is a DVD that hasn't been sent out yet (instead of the CD for Translator).

BBFG# wrote:Okay, decided to spend some time with the software today.
Once again met with the 'problem with your key code' dialogue box.
Resubmitted the information and it came up with 'Incorrect Password'.

This seems to be the biggest bug in the software I've found so far.
Contacted support again. And requested CDs again while I'm at it.
This might have something to do with why I haven't used it?
The time it takes getting the authorization to stick wears me out from actually using it.

It's been on the same machine with no changes.
This is a glitch that needs to be fixed.
This happened to me a couple of times, got sorted by email support, but there was no logical explanation for it, after dozens of attempts to re-authorize it just started working again.

chickeneps wrote: Most copy-protection is transparent with few inconveniences, although I completely agree there are glaring exceptions.
Most copy protection is not transparent! Copy protection always tends to get in the way of paying user. There are very few forms of copy protection that never cause trouble - Image-Line style key file and serial only. Everything else is a hassle to paying customers.

Having CD based copy protection is a prime example. First you have to acquire it through the mail (what year is it? like 1990?) then you have to keep it in your DVD-drive and hope that nothing happens to disc. If something happens then replacing is additional pain. These days that kind of copy protection is enough to just skip buying a product.

Also when it comes to Kontakt's CP and profit incentive then CP has hardly anything to do with it as all the Kontakt libraries are out there for taking anyway.
No signature here!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”