How many synth libraries should you have?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

May I ask this question?

In reality, how many synth libraries should a musician have?

I myself have the Absynth and Omnisphere. Is it enough?

My sincere thanks,

How long is a piece of string?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:How long is a piece of string?
Which one? I have one here that I'm gonna says is... oh... 4.25 inches... YMMV...

Re synths and libraries... the correct answer is: as many as you can amass before your wife happens to look at your credit card statements.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Experts typically own at least 20 distinct synth products and sometimes as many as 50. If you haven't purchased at least 10 distinct products you stand a serious risk of having a certain sameness quality to your music. You need variety for diversity so that you can avoid that sameness. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to purchase some additional products, the sooner the better.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

One time I played DIVA for 4 hours straight. I had to consult a physician.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

back in the day there was only one synth library. and if you didn't have it, that was it!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

fantasyvn wrote:May I ask this question?
In reality, how many synth libraries should a musician have?
I myself have the Absynth and Omnisphere. Is it enough?
My sincere thanks,
Well, in reality you asked this on the sub-forum used to address Samplers, Sampling & Sampling Libraries, so you may want to post this over on the 'Instruments' sub-forum instead.

But bearing in mind that you're here asking this, lose Omnisphere and pick up Kontakt.
Or some other engine that imports samples at least.
:D

In the bible it says: “Thou shalt have at least 666 synth soundsets and 777 sound ibraries for sample-based instruments“ (from Book of Moses).

Sampleconstruct wrote:In the bible it says: “Thou shalt have at least 666 synth soundsets and 777 sound ibraries for sample-based instruments“ (from Book of Moses).
"And you must own them in equal years to the time of Methuselah." (Genesis). :lol:

Do you count the part that goes around the peg, or just the straight segment?

ghettosynth wrote:Experts typically own at least 20 distinct synth products and sometimes as many as 50. If you haven't purchased at least 10 distinct products you stand a serious risk of having a certain sameness quality to your music. You need variety for diversity so that you can avoid that sameness. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to purchase some additional products, the sooner the better.
I assume thats a sarcastic answer....

Most 'artists' sound the same, that is to say, they have their own sound.

To answer the OP's question, you need whatever you need to make the music you want to make.

mystran wrote:
Do you count the part that goes around the peg, or just the straight segment?

Whatever the length, if it's attached to a female, don't pull it. :uhuhuh:
You can be assured, it will be long enough to hang you.

Kriminal wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Experts typically own at least 20 distinct synth products and sometimes as many as 50. If you haven't purchased at least 10 distinct products you stand a serious risk of having a certain sameness quality to your music. You need variety for diversity so that you can avoid that sameness. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to purchase some additional products, the sooner the better.
I assume thats a sarcastic answer....
What, me, sarcasm?

fantasyvn wrote:In reality, how many synth libraries should a musician have?
Let L by synth libraries and N be the number of synth libraries a musician should own, the equation will be as follows:

N = L + 1

Thou shalt purchase synths until one reacheth buyer's remorse, then waiteth for said remorse to subside before purchasing thine next synth.
Thou shalt covet the synth of another man. Thou shalt have the synth of another man.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”