Hollow Sun charges US more?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:Well, HS was never big on sales. But I did a 20% off Black Friday sale and it was very successful. I won't be overdoing on sales either, but I could intersperse them here and there. However - don't expect anything eye-dropping as 50% off. This would be underappreciating the value of HS products, IMHO.
Or over-estimating the market. It goes both ways. ;)
I understand you're scripting for two now. :)

I'll see if I have any interest on the next sale (whatever it is).
Remember I was quite willing to make an impulse buy at the 21% less price.

And maybe if that pricing was more upfront and didn't hit me in the cart as 21% higher, who knows?

I'm glad to see this topic, as I don't think it's quite fair either.
I won't deny that Steve's prices were fair to begin with, but the reasoning ED gives
just leaves a bad feeling. I was looking at MLM Suite 2; it was slightly over $60 and now its a bit over $80.
Why? To make things fair for those who pay VAT?
Doesn't make sense to me. I realize $20 isn't a lot, but when I see the reason for the increase I have to shake my head.

Maybe it will appease you US customers that for example here in Norway (which is in Europe but not a member of EU) we get a price of ca US$85 (converted from NOK) for MLMII suite when put in basket.

And also japanese customers will get a price in Yen that is about equivalent to that amount.

So the thread title is totally misleading, as if Hollow Sun is particularly targetting US customers milking them for VAT.

bluedad wrote:I'm glad to see this topic, as I don't think it's quite fair either.

Why? To make things fair for those who pay VAT?
Doesn't make sense to me. I realize $20 isn't a lot, but when I see the reason for the increase I have to shake my head.
That $20.00 adds up if buying more than one product too.
And some companies are refusing to see that they aren't the only ones we're buying and need to make choices to fit our wallets across the spectrum. Leaving most in a watch list for sales for me.

They're in good company. I only consider SonicCouture during their once a year BOGO/40-50% off sales too. But then sales usually hit at once too and these companies just as often fall to the bottom of the list during those times too.
OTOH, the companies with a 'sale' every month seems to lose its seriousness in it being a sale.
Maybe if they were more reasonable for us buyers in the first place?
(And not trying to make their nut all in one sale on one product.) :shrug:

Numanoid wrote:Maybe it will appease you US customers that for example here in Norway (which is in Europe but not a member of EU) we get a price of ca US$85 (converted from NOK) for MLMII suite when put in basket.

And also japanese customers will get a price in Yen that is about equivalent to that amount.

So the thread title is totally misleading, as if Hollow Sun is particularly targetting US customers milking them for VAT.
No, that doesn't appease, it only rationalizes the bilking of other currencies/countries to pad their profit.

Won't change the thread title, but yes, if it applies to your situation, then it applies.
And HS might want to take note of it as well.

But I don't get geddit, is anything stopping you from buying HS items in pounds?

I just did a check for that now, selected an item in GBP (£15), put it in my basket, put in my address as US, and when I am at checkout in Paypal, I get charged £15, even though I have listed an US address.

Sooo... what to do now? Reduce prices to appease a few over here at KvR, when otherwise the sales from USA are steady as they were? Or keep things as they are and end up being an asshole (and consequentially obviously tarnishing HS reputation in the eyes of people) for not giving a good enough reason for the price increase for those select few?

At least I'm not doing what NI (and some other companies) do, the $=€ thing (isn't that annoying and terribly unfair - since on that € price VAT is STILL added!?). Please understand.

Numanoid wrote:But I don't get geddit, is anything stopping you from buying HS items in pounds?

I just did a check for that now, selected an item in GBP (£15), put it in my basket, put in my address as US, and when I am at checkout in Paypal, I get charged £15, even though I have listed an US address.
See original post. I put two items in the cart at 35 GBP expecting the conversion rate for it which is currently 53-54 USD, add another 6 for PP and still comes to around 59-60. Instead, it immediately converted in the cart to 70 USD. So although it might not seem much, it's the cart shock audacity that killed the purchase for me and inspired me to ask WTF?

So yeah, HS comes out looking a bit like an a-hole to those they do this to.

BBFG# wrote:See original post. I put two items in the cart at 35 GBP
But use your brains, when in cart, change the currency from USD to GBP, and save money!

Numanoid wrote:
BBFG# wrote:See original post. I put two items in the cart at 35 GBP
But use your brains, when in cart, change the currency from USD to GBP, and save money!
That option is unavailable in my cart.
Previously, when I go to cart, it's in the same currency as listed on the site and conversions are done by PayPal when payment is made. As soon as I hit checkout here, everything was done at their whim. So I had two choices, cancel or submit. I chose to cancel and come here to ask WTF?
Last edited by BBFG# on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think that part only works for EU, for the rest of the world USD is the currency FastSpring will use.

I absolutely love HS stuff. Im also on a tight budget. I don't think US should pay a VAT penalty if there is no real fee behind it. Why charge tax if you don't pay it... Seems silly ... Won't affect the haves, will affect the have nots... The theory and practice of taxation is complex. The idea seems to be that if you pay a tax, it is for some benefit. So if the US isn't getting a benefit from VAT, it shouldn't pay it.

Yes HS stuff is surely worth more than it's price. But that was part of what was so fun about it! It's like finding a dusty golden nugget!

Whatever happens I wish the best for Stephens family and look forward to seeing the next release (even though I may or may not be able to buy it)...

EvilDragon wrote:I think that part only works for EU, for the rest of the world USD is the currency FastSpring will use.
This is how the cart looks in my case, in the upper right corner, I can click on the country and get a drop down menu choosing to pay in which currency I want, this is different in US?:

Yep, that's different for the US folk.

EvilDragon wrote:Yep, that's different for the US folk.
So then it is specifically targeting the US... :roll:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”