Rhythmic Robot release EMULATOR II Universe of Sounds library for Kontakt

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

Six months of sampling and programming; thirty years of heritage; 541 individual sounds and over 31,700 individual samples... this one has been a long time coming, but we hope it's worth it 8)

Back in the 80s, the sampler that took the studio world by storm was the Emulator II. Far more affordable than a Synclavier or a Fairlight, its crunchy 8-bit samples and clever companding output convertors made for an awesomely in-your-face sound that punched its way through countless hit mixes. Artists like Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Tears for Fears, Thomas Dolby, Philip Glass, Eurythmics, Pet Shop Boys, Vangelis and dozens more put the EII's signature sound to work on their tracks. It's not overstating it to say it helped define the sound of a generation of music.

‘I’m a fan of this Rhythmic Robot outfit. Using their instruments is like discovering a lost tribe in the digital jungle… pure, but slightly uncivilized.’Stephen Hague, producer (Peter Gabriel, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Robbie Williams, Melanie C, New Order, etc.)

Key to the EII's success was a phenomenal aftermarket library of professionally-recorded samples. The factory library itself was excellent, but the soundset that really expanded the possibilities of the instrument was OMI's Universe of Sounds – a mammoth swathe of patches covering keys, basses, strings, orchestral, synths, ethnic, drums, percussion, brass... everything you needed to bring your track to life. When we first approached the idea of sampling an EII, it was this library we wanted to sample.

Now, in collaboration with and with the blessing of Doug Morton – the guy who actually recorded those OMI samples back in the 80s, and who remains their copyright owner – we bring you the OMI Universe of Sounds, in all its glory. We've sampled every note of every patch (over 31,700 samples in all!) out of a reconditioned Emulator II, to preserve the exact sound of the EII's D-to-A convertors and sample interpolation process. We've meticulously preserved original looping behaviour, velocity layers and sample switching. In short, what you hear when you play this instrument is the sound of an EII in its heyday.

What customers are saying so far:

"The EII is just mindblowing! I've just downloaded and started sniffing around on the surface, but... wow! What a musical treasure trove!" – JS

"This is a MONSTER! I can't wait to integrate this into my next recording. I may even go back to the album I just finished and add some new texture to a couple of tracks. Love the EII!" – BB

"YESSSSSS YESSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!" – RM

"Loving the Save Ferris button. Surprised you bothered with any other controls really." – SP

Although the interface allows you to sculpt, change and effect those sounds in a whole variety of ways – filter and amp envelopes, Chorus, Phaser, Echo and Rotary effects, convolved era-appropriate Lexicon reverb, various LFOs etc – we've also incorporated a nice simple Vintage button for when you just want to go back to basics. Hit that, and all the modern filters, effects and reverb are instantly killed; the sound is panned to mono; you get the pure sound of the EII on its own. Hit Vintage again, and everything's back the way it was. Clever :lol:

This is a phenomenal wealth of sounds. Here are some quick facts about the library:
  • 31,700 individual samples
    33Gb original 24-bit
    21Gb uncompressed 16-bit
    11.33Gb compressed .ncw format
    541 individual instruments, consisting of...
    ...14 Bass / 18 Bells & Chimes / 52 Brass / 51 Drums / 59 Ethnic & Folk / 8 FX / 36 Guitar / 38 Piano & Keys / 77 Orchestral / 41 Percussion / 61 Strings / 76 Synth / 12 Vocal
    Additional Kontakt Multis taking the EII's sounds in exciting new directions
We've put together a ton of audio demos, and lots more information, over at the site, so do take a listen – you can play "spot the hit" with some of the samples! All the info, complete with more background on the sampling process, is here:

http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/product/em ... unds-vol-1

The Emulator II OMI Universe of Sounds library is out now for Kontakt 4.2.3 and above, including all versions of Kontakt 5 (but you'll need the full version of Kontakt, not Player.) The RRP is £99 but for this month only there is a special launch price of £85, bringing the sound of the 80s down to less than 16p a patch!

This is like having a huge blue EII crammed into your DAW, but without the synth tech and the roadies you'd normally need to look after it. We hope you like :D

Happy music making,

a very tired Professor (and Mongo)

I see this is vol-1. How many volumes will there be, and will they all be the same price?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:I see this is vol-1. How many volumes will there be, and will they all be the same price?
Quick answer: Two volumes, both the same price, Vol 2 coming end of year / early next year.

Longer answer: The original Universe of Sounds library came in two volumes, so we're following that template with one small alteration, which is that we're "boxing out" the SFX samples and foley effects for release later. (Our thinking there was simply that they're very niche products compared to the instrumental sounds, so we wanted to concentrate on the important stuff first.)

So Volume 2 will arrive at some time – probably another 6 months of sampling to do, though! – and yes, it will be at the same price, and have the same launch discount. Then the SFX sounds may be released, if we have strength in our limbs to embark on sampling them, further down the road :D – no confirmed pricing or timeline on those, though.

Hope that helps!

Cool. Thanks.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Hi folks!

We've had a few reactions now, both from pro users and from customers who are using the library, so we thought we'd just blow our [8-bit sampled] trumpet for a moment... :D

"Just spent (finally) some quality time with the EII library...wow! great work you guys... it's all there, and the interface is excellent too. Rhythmic Robot's finest hour...well worth the wait!"Stephen Hague (producer, Peter Gabriel, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Robbie Williams, Melanie C, New Order, etc.)

"I still own every digital sampling synth E-mu Systems ever manufactured... I’m so excited to use this new EII library on my future projects!"Frank Serafine, Honey Hills Music & Sound (Sound Designer – Tron, Star Trek, Field of Dreams, Hunt for Red October, Short Circuit, Peter Gabriel etc)

"I use EMUs, Fairlights and a PPG Waveterm System every day, but I am so impressed by the sound and the ease of use of the interface of the Rhythmic Robot version that I haven't turned on the EII in a couple of weeks. I am recommending it to all our composers on EML."Nigel Bates (The Electronic Music Library Ltd)

"f**k me congratulations this sounds phenomenal..it's one of a few libraries I've used that has this weight to it, you've captured it so well." – E Glasgow, customer

"For years I have been searching for high-quality Emulator II samples. Here they are! The Prof has provided excellent customer support after my purchase. This product has exceeded my expectations." – John, customer

"The quality of the samples here is amazing... Rhythmic Robot have done a fantastic job in sampling this sound library in forensic detail. Given the amount of effort involved, the pricing is very reasonable. It will serve you well whether you want to re-create the spirit of the ’80s or find a place for these sounds in the most up-to-date electronic productions." – James, customer

"the samples are AAAA quality and the price is just waaaouu O_O" – Norman, customer

"I am really impressed with this Library, in fact I emailed the team to congratulate them after the first 10 minutes of browsing the banks. The sound is deep and weighty. I had some of the library with my EMU samplers and RR have done the legacy proud." – Eugene, customer

"I always wanted an Emulator. Now I have one!" – Erik, customer

"I have been thoroughly enjoying the pure electroretro goodness packed into this excellent instrument. It’s been like floating through the bliss of heaven on a cloud. At the asking price, it’s the bargain of the century. I almost felt like I needed to put a pair of pantyhose on my head because it is such a steal." – Richard, customer

All the details, plus sound demos and background, can be found right here:

http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/product/em ... unds-vol-1

[/shamelessselfpublicitymode]

The Professor (and Mongo)

anybody bought this

Vol 2 out yet?

damayor wrote:Vol 2 out yet?
Short answer: very, very nearly! :D

Slightly longer answer: All the sampling and looping is done, and we're now tuning and tweaking the individual instruments. We're about 75% of the way through that process and it's getting pretty exciting round here :lol: Vol 2 is interesting: different content emphasis from Vol 1, and a bit of a step up in technical competence in the original sample looping, too. We're finding far fewer audible loop points, and a lower level of background noise, to the extent that we're considering skipping the NR pass (which was very gently done on Vol 1, but which we felt was necessary).

The content is skewed more towards "signature" orchestral sounds rather than sheer numbers (which we rather like; so you get, eg, only 5 or so viola patches, covering different articulation styles, but they're done really really well); and there are tons more synths in this collection vs Vol 1. We kinda like that too: analogue synths via 8-bit sampling to companding convertors... what's not to love the socks off there?! :lol:

We aim to have this out before Christmas and RSI be damned. Check our FaceBook page for updates, or take occasional looks here: http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/keyboard-vault

We'll be shouting about this in due course, so... sit tight 8)

This just out in Computer Music magazine. If anyone's still unsure about getting the library, make sure to check out the little note right at the bottom :D

First audio demo of the new library is now up on our site:

http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/emulator-i ... audio-demo

This is just a smattering of some of the synth sounds; we'll get some more demos up covering the strings, orchestral, percussion etc as soon as we can :D

Projected launch date remains early December, so fingers crossed!

– Prof

wonder how this compares to the UVI emulator 1 and 2

Liquid stack ? :D

TheoM wrote:wonder how this compares to the UVI emulator 1 and 2
Well, I can't speak for their Emulator I, since we haven't done that yet; but on the EII front, they're rather different beasts.

I think the key differences are, (a) the Rhythmic Robot libraries have way more original patches; (b) our libraries are sampled chromatically from an original EII, whereas I'm not sure of the workflow of the UVI library (they don't really tell you how they made it); (c) our patches are presented pretty "dry" so you're hearing what the original EII sounds like, whereas to my ears the UVI sounds are pretty swamped in effects; and (d) our libraries have been made with the permission and collaboration of the original copyright holder.

(On that last note, all I mean is that UVI's library is delightfully vague about where, exactly, they got their samples. Did they sample the original EII library? If so, did they get copyright clearance to do that? Or did they recreate the samples from scratch somehow – you know, hire an orchestra and all that – which would be entirely legit, but which somewhat compromises their claim to authenticity :D

Obviously I'm ridiculously biased, but we did set out to create the nearest thing to actually owning an EII, and I hope that shows in the results. Oh, and the UVI costs a lot more than ours :lol:

Not sure sure how I missed this library (vol 1) but this is fantastic. The demo clip on the website is really impressive. Can't wait to pick this up as well as vol 2.

Was planning on getting this at the end of December, but after listening to the demo clips again I had to pull the trigger yesterday. So much great stuff in this library. Freakin' awesome!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”