Free "Harpsitar" sfz

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's a "Harpsitar"? It's my idea of a cross between a harpsichord and an acoustic guitar. Use it where you may otherwise use a steel string guitar, especially as a 12-string type of sound.

http://wikisend.com/download/438622/harpsitar.zip

I created this with some physical modeling software. I do a lot with physical modeling. In fact, nearly everything I've done employs a bit of physical modeling. Recently, I posted two bass guitars. They aren't real. They're physically modeled. Even the slapped and popped articulations were created out of thin air. The nylon string guitar does use some sympathetic string vibration sounds from a real guitar, to add realism especially to the higher notes. But the guitar notes themselves are modeled. It's not a real guitar. Steel drums? I've never even seen them. Modeled. Celeste? I actually have seen and played one. But the one I made is modeled. Harmonica? I named my library "the No Budget Orchestra". I'm too cheap to sample a real harmonica.

Even the solo violin I posted is half-modeled. I didn't like the original bow sound. It was too low-pitched and brought out too many dissonant harmonics. Via lots of noise reduction algorithms and filtering/phasing, I removed the original bow sound. Then for each sample, I modeled a new bow sound with higher noise frequencies, and more harmonics related to the fundamental pitch. I also thought the violin itself had too nasal and harsh a tone. So I also modeled a violin with more of the fundamental pitch and even harmonics. By mixing the two modeled samples with the real violin sample, I created an instrument that had the characteristics I liked of the original, but with a deeper, richer, and smoother tone.

In fact, about 1/3 of the musicians in the No Budget Orchestra ensembles aren't real. They're modeled. (The other musicians in an ensemble come from a sophisticated process of "stacking" multiple notes of the one or two solo instruments, giving the illusion of multiple musicians).

I was thinking a cross between a harp guitar and a sitar, heh. Gonna have to check this out later, though. I once made a sorta-harpsichord out of bagpipes, though, so I like this kind of stuff on principle.

Interesting read, thanks. Which solo violin do you mean the LDK or the Kake one?

Sorry I've slowed down on the Konversion process, my eyes and shoulders are giving me problems right now, so I have to wait til that clears up a bit.

bigcat1969 wrote:LDK or the Kake one?
The Kake one. But I also just finished physical-model-augmenting the LDK violin, as well as the No Budget cello and viola.

Here's the latest update:
http://wikisend.com/download/854654/nbo_0_update_2.zip

For the viola, I decided to use only the mf layer, and discard the p and f layers. The viola's tone ain't so great when the musician plays softly or loudly. Ultimately, the sfz sounded better with the one good layer.

I think the Kake violin turned out better than the LDK.

Thanks for sharing these :tu:

Thanks. I'll get those updated.

Thanks for the update.
Some of the new vibrato and sustain samples aren't showing up as looped.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”