Changing a Song/Tag Order via Front Panel on Qu4ttro/Trio

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I do all this work at home, via the Receptor GUI - but here's a time when I messed-up, and couldn't find the solution in time :(

Was at a gig.
Discovered 1/2 my show was off by one number (coordinated with a 2nd Sound module)
Could not figure out how to accomplish INSERTING a Song, from the USER list, into a separate Tagged List for a specific show.

How can I move around songs via the Front Panel?
JV

How can I move around songs via the Front Panel?
JV

Good question! I would like to know if this is possible as well.

I'm told by Kevin @ Muse Research that it's not possible :(

So ~ as I mentioned, 99% of my programming is done in advance, at home.
For the very rare instance that I need to make a change, on-site - at a performance venue, can it be done via a smart-phone device?
JV

I would think so-as long as you have a wireless connection hooked up to the receptor.

Yeah ~ I'd think so as well, but I'm going to need some specific direction.
JV

We decided that moving presets around a list using the front panel is at best an exercise in frustration, so it is not possible to do... you need access to the GUI, which gives you the ability to drag and drop the presets into the order you wish.

And of course, you can still select and load any presets in any Tags from the front panel... you just can't re-order them.

All the best

Bryan

Okay.
I've watched the video (Gary Grove) on connecting with a wireless router (which has to be attached via ethernet cable... I've already downloaded a VNC program to my phone, but instead of needing a cable + router/modem - What about Bluetooth? is there not a USB key-dongle-device that could make this connection to my phone, without the additional hardware?
JV

Blue tooth has really limited range and bandwidth, and it doesn't offer all the data protection / correction that Wi Fi does, which means that you are likely to get a bunch of dropouts for a video connection. The result would be really frustrating.

Here's another way to think about connecting to Receptor using a Wi Fi router.. it might improve understanding of how this works and make it easier to configure:

We have to use a Router, because we want to set up an independent network, with Receptor attached to it. Therefore we need a Router so that the Receptor is given its own address and the network is available to log on to. Just like when you visit your local Starbucks.

We don't want anyone with a smartphone or tablet to be able to log on to your Receptor, so we recommend setting up the network so it requires a password. This is optional, but recommended, since anyone could theoretically get on to the Receptor and do nasty things like reformat the drive, or otherwise disable the Receptor, which is not something you want happening on stage.

Then comes what happens on the Smartphone side. First you need to LOG ON TO THE NETWORK, which basically means discovering the Wi Fi Router, and then joining that network. This is all standard networking stuff and has nothing to do with Receptor, really. Once you've logged on to the network, you have a connection between the the router and your smartphone, so all that is left is to connect to the Receptor.

To do this, you need to download one of the many VNC viewers out there, and then connect to the Receptor that is on the network. The Router will give the Receptor an address, which can be viewed on the front panel by pressing the Setup button and turning to "TCP/IP address" in older models, or "Network Status" in newer models. This address will start with (192.168. something) for most routers, or )10.1. something) for an Apple router. When you enter in the address of the Receptor along with the password (Receptor) then you should see the graphics piped to the VNC viewer. How you navigate, mouse, click or shrink / expand the screen will depend on the particular program you've downloaded and installed. And our experience is that freeware VNC viewers tend to be less reliable and sometimes harder to configure than a paid one.

Hopefully that helps you understand a bit better how this all works, so it will be easier for you to make the connection. The good news is that most computer shops know this stuff incredibly well, especially since it all has to do with the configuration of the router and the VNC application and not so much about Receptor as long as it is in AUTO DHCP mode, so taking your Receptor to the place where you purchased your router and bribing the tech with a large latte to get the system configured and working consistently is a very easy way to bypass the learning curve!

Cheers

Bryan

An excellent explanation. Thanks Bryan.
JV

Why not just connect a monitor and keyboard w/mouse directly to the input on the back of your unit. No wifi necessary.

Thanks, but I'm trying to minimize how much gear I require ~ that's why.
JV

Hooray for the vision of One rack and as few external cables as possible!(a few meaning 20 or so...)

And don't forget you can also change the numbering in the Preset listings to start at 0 or to start at 1, so that might fix the problem as well without having to insert any presets in to the Tag list...

You find this control under MIDI in the SETUP tab in the Rack Mode interface.

Bryan

P.S. For something like this, you could probably get away with a little Pocket Router and using VNC on an iPhone... especially if the VNC app provides good magnification...

Return to “Muse Research and Development”