Cloning Receptor HHD to Samsung 840 EVO series SSD

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Andy,
I've just found your write up on how to clone a new drive (SSD) for a Receptor using v 1.9.
It all seems rather easy?...I'm no computer expert but I've mucked around with v straightforward bits and pieces before, but never used any sort of cloning software...
I can't load my omnishphere because the Mrpk installer refuses to install and I rather hope when I eventually install the v2 software it might overcome some small glitch in v1.9 that's hidden somewhere.
I've never used Ghost or any partitioning software...and I'm a little lost when you say use Ghost to clone the main drive within Unetbootin? Is there any chance that you could take some screenshots of the whole process using the software suggested and send them to me..or post them on KVR. This would really really help a lot of people get this problem sorted.
At the moment my Receptor is of no use to me unless I get Omnishphere loaded and working..
I'd be very very grateful if you would help.
Many regards
Niven8

Is there any chance that you could send me some

I have found the most reliable and easy way to clone the receptors drive is with a hardware disk cloner. I use this:

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Duplicators ... TDOCK2REU3

its quick, easy and fool proof. You just press the button and it does it. In my experience it even simply added the free space left to the appropriate partition when using a larger disk, although admittedly this was a while ago. Not sure how it will work with the new OS and serial numbers as discussed in this thread….

the disk cloner is a very useful tool. Id recommend getting one and having a clone of your drive just incase you ever need one in an emergency. With my receptors I even modded them by drilling a hole in the side, adding SATA extension cables and having the drives live externally from the unit. That way replacing the drive is quick and easy, you can even have different drives for different gigs so you can keep everything nice and organised and not have thousands of patches on the one unit.

We've used a similar one here from Vantech with success, but I don't believe it will clone from a larger drive to a smaller one…

Re. Sata cables out the back, that's pretty darn clever… we were putting E-Sata ports on a lot of Receptor 2s, but found no one was using them so deleted the port.

Of course you can also boot off of USB with a newer model Receptor, but given the ports are USB 2, you'll notice a marked decrease in performance when streaming samples using an external drive.

How were you able to clone from say a 1TB master to a 512GB SSDd using the Startech??

bryan

Hi Bryan,

No that wasn't possible. The good thing about that star tech unit is if it's going to work, you just press one button and it does it (and quick too, 512GB in under an hour) but similarly if you try and do something that isn't going to work (i.e. copy a bigger drive to a smaller one, even if a lot of the space is free) it just says no and doesn't work.

As far as I can tell it just does a "dumb" bit for bit copy of one drive to another. It doesn't care what the file format is, how much free space there is or anything like that, it simply copies all the data from drive 1 to drive 2, and so long as drive 2 is big enough it works.

Thanks for clearing that up. Sure would be cool of someone made a small, one to one drive cloner that did resizing for you… but that would require a fair amount of smarts, which of course adds cost…

Sigh.

Thanks again

Bryan

Bryan@MuseResearch wrote:Just a word of caution for all you Receptor users interested in home-brew drive mods: The EVO drives use TLC technology, and the seminar I went to was anything but encouraging about its ability to hold up to high read and write cycle applications. A far better choice is the 840 PRO series drive, which is what we use inside Receptor when it is ordered with the SSD. We do not recommend TLC drive technology for use in Receptor, especially if you are using a lot of streaming samples. And of course, we're compelled to state that if you choose to replace the drive with anything other than a drive that came from Muse Research, your on your own, we can't support it, there is no warranty, etc. etc.

Bryan
Note that TLC drives are quite rare. I had a look at some popular SSDs currently available, (like the Samsung 850EVO) and they're all MLC.

I stand corrected! It is MLC technology, but that is a bit moot because the EVO DRIVES DO NOT WORK WELL IN RECEPTOR! We could get some sizes to work, but in general, get the PRO drive. They have 2X the warranty and we have a great track record with them.

Bryan@MuseResearch wrote: I don't believe it will clone from a larger drive to a smaller one…
This is so not fun to do, just don't even waste your time. Just get an equal or bigger drive, and even using something like Clonezilla works like a charm.

I just installed one of these in May, and I've rebooted my Receptor at least 50 times by now. Seems rock solid to me.

Hi,
I just went through this process going from 160 GB hdd to 128 GB ssd ( Samsung 850 pro) on a Receptor 1 rev C. 1.6. Every partition precisly the same as source. But I'm getting "verifying pool data....." and boot never starts.

Hi
Have you tried shrinking the Data partition on the 160Gb so that the size is shrunk just under the amount if data the disk is holding (hopefully under 120 Gb) You can use Gparted go do this.
Once done clone the drive onto the new 120 GB ssd.It is a drag but its not difficult , i have done it quite s few times .I used unetbootin it contains Gparted ,ghost forlinux and clonezila.It is easy to find online.Just burn the image to a Usb thumbdrive and boot the receptor with it.
Good luck Andy

Thanks for the Quick reply, Andy. Yes that is exactly what I did. The source disk still boost nicely, but the cloned ssd is somehow not welcome on the Receptor. There is a difference in interfaces Sata vs Ide.. But I did setup the bios to accept Sata as Ide.

Not sure if anyone is even following this thread anymore - but I just managed to get the new Spectrasonic Keyscape library to run on my Receptor Trio - unfortunately it's using only 8 gb of ram and a 7200 spinner HD. Would love some current advice on how to upgrade / clone the HD over to an SSD and what type of RAM I need to put in?

Thanks! Btw - here's quick video I did to document the fact it will run Keyscape.. https://youtu.be/89B7OqAaXFs

I used the Startech Duplicator to clone a drive.

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Duplicator ... TDOCK2REU3

I cloned a hdd from a ssd, so the opposite of what you are doing. You need to get an ssd that is of equal or greater size to your current drive.

Good Luck!

Hi Lagranderson
May i ask What method did you use to install Keyscape on your trio?
Regards Andy

Return to “Muse Research and Development”