Using Receptor with TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless N Router

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have recently bought a BT Home Hub 5 to replace my previous router, and this device is located downstairs, whilst my Receptor is upstairs. My Receptor was connected to my previous router directly, using an ethernet cable (they were only a few feet apart) but to do this with the new Home Hub 5 would require me to run a long ethernet cable downstairs, which I don't want to do.

I have therefore looked at various wireless extender devices to "add" the Receptor to my network, so that I can continue to use Uniwire with my DAW as well as the Remote application, although I am not sure if any of them will work. However, an earlier post on the forum from Gary at Muse Support confirmed that the TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless N Router has been tested and seemed to work well.

I have a few questions :

1. Has anyone used this device with their Receptor ? If so, what mode do you use ? (AP, Router, Bridge, Client ... etc)

2. Has anyone used it with BT Home Hub 5 and if so, does it affect the speed or performance of the Hub ?

3. What range does it have - ie, if my router is in a downstairs room, will it work if connected to my Receptor upstairs ?

4. Are there any alternative devices that could be recommended, that will achieve what I am looking for ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Peter

Thanks,
Gary
Muse Support
nat todo

The TL-WR702N does indeed work with Receptor, but I have to say it has lost some of its appeal given how difficult it is to set up. You have to log on to the device and change it over to be in DHCP mode so that it gives Receptor an address and functions like a stand alone network. For some reason it comes pre-configured as an access point but won't assign addresses, which makes it useless for use with Receptor.

They do have tech support, and you can talk to a live person, but just the task of logging on to the device is not for a technophobe.

All that being said, once it is configured, its pretty cool to get your Receptor "on the air" with just a USB powered device that is half the size of a pack of cigarettes, if anyone remembers what those are.

If you are not comfortable with networking stuff, I'd go for a more mainstream router that will be easier to set up. If space is an issue, and you're willing to deal with the hassles of setting it up, the TP-LINK non-router is a very cool little device indeed... once you set it up. BTW, I've asked them to do a video for Receptor users to show people how to configure it, and they have declined to do so after initially promising that they would do so. If enough of us bug them, they'll probably do it...

Bryan

Thanks for your reply Bryan

As you say - this device is difficult to set up. Eventually I gave up and took it back to the shop for a refund. Perhaps I should have persevered...

You mentioned using a more mainstream router that will be easier to set up; however, surely this will conflict with my existing router (the BT Home Hub 5) ? I didn't realise I could have two routers on the same network - if I can, I could use the router that was replaced by the Home Hub 5.

Has anyone successfully set up two routers on the same network without affecting the overall speed / performance ? If so, can you explain to me how to do it !

Thanks in advance

A router basically serves as the "switchboard" of a network. You can't have more than one router connected together, or they will fight with each other. But it is possible to set up several different networks in your house and have them all connect to the network on your BT router. That's too complex to explain here, but I think it's important to point out something about using a product like the TP-LINK nano router:

When setting up a small router like this, we are creating an independent Wi Fi network, essentially putting one address (i.e. the Receptor) "On the Air" so that we can discover it and log on to it with our iPad (or whatever). This network is closed in the sense that it won't let us tunnel through to the Internet, since you can only be connected to one network at a time, and in this case, we're connecting just to the Receptor. I guess you can think of it as a "wireless crossover cable" if I can suggest that without inviting the ire of our users who probably know a lot more about networking that I do... (that would be you, Mr. Looney)...

Other WiFi routers on the market have software that come with them that make them easier to set up. The biggest problem for me in setting up the TP LINK is that they require you to log on to the router directly when configuring it, which means turning off all the networking on your computer and configuring it in manual mode, which is kind of a hassle for anyone who doesn't do this kind of thing on a regular basis. With a more common router, they don't require you to reconfigure your computers networking just to set up the router, which is probably more convenient for most users.

That begin said, supposedly TP LINK will provide tech support and walk anyone through the process, so if you are an intrepid soul and really want the most compact and cool little solution we've found, its there for the deployment...

Bryan

Hello,
I bought this little TP-link TL-WR702N and I can use Ultra VNC viewer to pilot the GUI of my Receptor 2 (OS 2.01). That's great.
My main problem now is to access to the drive of the Receptor, I can't find a way : Muse Remote Control don't see any Receptor and I can't imagine another way to see the drive somewhere ?
My Receptor network is set to crossover to be able to connect to my computer. If set to Automatic, Windows 8.1 seem to connect to him, but Ultra VNC viewer can't.
My new laptop hasn't any Ethernet connector so I can't install anymore plugin inside until I can access to the drive.

Someone can help me ?

If you aren't seeing the Receptor, you're not going to see the drive. The TP LINK router, although VERY cool, is also a pain in the butt to configure. You will have to change its operation mode to be DHCP so that it creates a virtual private network between the Receptor and your computer.

The way you know when it is correctly configured is that the Receptor will receive an address from the TP LINK of 192.168.0.something when it is set to Auto DHCP mode. If you don't get an address, or it starts with 169, then the TP LINK is not configured correctly.

The saving grace is that TP LINK offers free technical support, and they WILL help you get it in the correct mode, which involves logging on to it with your computer. Be patient, but when it is properly configured, it will work great and you won't have to mess with it again.

Good luck!

Thanks for your quick answer.
Before to go further, can you answer two more questions about Receptor setting ?

1) Since I update my receptor 2 to OS 2.01, the receptor network menu don't show "auto DHCP" anymore. I can set it to "AUTOMATIC", "CROSSOVER" or "OFF". Do I need to set it to "AUTOMATIC" or "CROSSOVER" ?

2)When the TP link is set correctly, should I see the Receptor in Muse Remote control ? Or in windows explorer ? Or in both ?

Thanks

OK,
I've contaced the TP LINK french technical support, and they give me quickly an answer.
And the answer is ..................... that IN ROUTER MODE the TL-WR702N cannot give an IP adress to the computer that is wired on the WAN port of the TP Link (and that WAN port is the only Ethernet port). This WAN port is made to connect the router to the Internet and NOT to connect a client computer.
They advice me to buy the TL-WR710N which has one WAN port + one LAN port (but it can't be powered through USB).

So Bryan, what do you think of this answer ?

I've initialy bought a Netgear WNCE2001 wifi adapter that was not able to be used in router mode, just in client mode. I will try to use those two adapters plugged in the Receptor : the TPLink adapter in router mode (plugged through USB just to get power) to create the network, and the Netgear adapter through Ethernet (+ USB to get power) to be able to connect the Receptor to the Network (by WIFI for few centimeters !)

EDIT : the solution described above is working. Muse Remote Control now can see my Receptor and I can open the drive. That's a good solution for me since I had those two adapters by me. But for someone who have none of them, he needs to buy them both...
I'm still waiting for another answer from TPlink, I said to them that someone here is able to use their TL-WR710N with the Receptor, so that we should be able to set the TL-WR702N to use the WAN port for a client computer.

OK, so after more than a mounth, I've received another answer from the french TP-link tech support.
I'm now able to use the TP-link-WR702N to use a VNC viewer AND to see the drive of the receptor and then install new VST.

The more important information is that the good operation mode of the TP-link is the AP mode (access point) and NOT the router mode.

The AP mode (which is the default mode) let you use the Ethernet port as a LAN port, wich can't be made in router mode.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”