HELP!! Really poorly HDD

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Folks,

I bought a REV-C on Ebay a few months ago and have only got around to using it. It was working last night and today when I switched it on it refused to do anything. I'm in the throes of using a HDD Checker and the dreaded Bad Sectors have surfaced.

Obviously the disk is on the way out, but I can't or don't know of a way to replace it and it would seem with all that has been going on with MR they are not going to help.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get a new drive with the OS image installed. I'm not too worried about the plugins I already have as I'm realistic enough to understand that they will be lost.

Any assistance would be wonderful. I'm just fed up that the thing I have eventually managed to save enough for is now almost certainly kaput! :cry:

Thanks

Jez

RIP Drive is now scratching and making a really awful noise. Like the proverbial parrot, it is no more, bereft of life, it has shuffled off this mortal coil. It's gone to meet it's maker......this is an ex-receptor. :(

Hello
Where are you?
What country?
Regards Andy

Chester, United Kingdom for my sins!

Does anyone know where I can download an image of the OS please? I don't mind paying for it and would have gone to Muse Research if they had one. Just desperate to sort this out. Thanks

Hi
What version of the OS did you have installed.
what is the hardware config of your receptor ,processor memory motherboard etc I can easily put an image up on an ftp for you to download but your receptor must be able to run it.And it will be rather large.So you will need a reliable network connection.
Alternativley you can send an empty hd to me and ille transfer the image onto that you will just have to plug it in and it will work adlong as the hardware id compatible.
The image will be in ghost for linux format.Are you familiar with Unetbootin ? You will need to boot your receptor with a thumb drive runing this in order to transfer the image onto the new hd.
Regards Andy

i live in leeds. not a receptor user/expert but if you need any IT help feel free to drop me a line.

Hi Guys,

First of all thanks for your replies and offers of assistance.

Andy, the Software version is 1.7.20080616. The motherboard is a MSI MS-7142, 2GB Ram and the AMD Turion processor. The hdd is a Seagate Barracuda 750Gb which I assume isn't the standard one? Do I need to upgrade the hardware and if so, what would you recommend? I'm not familiar with Unetbootin, but have used Yumi and Norton Ghost before so hopefully there is some similarity in the way it works.

My Internet connection is pretty good and no limits on downloading if it helps.

Many thanks once again for your advice.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy

Ok its an older board.You could just try runing os 2.01 on it maybe it will "transplant" for want of a better word just fine but i doubt it.
I will help you as mutch as i can but the best solution or at least the least intrusive would be if someone could just send you an image of Os 1,7 .
your current Hd i gather has suffered a Hard Crash ie it is physicaly damaged right?
So whatever solution you choose you will need to source a new Hd.
So you rearly have nothing to loose.
Are there any Sata connectors on the Mb?
If not you may have problems getting hold of a replacment drive.
And also if you choose to try the image solution first it will have to be done using Usb ,quite frankley a pain in the arse.

if you pm me your telephone nr i will call you thisevening ime in not in the uk but i have cheprate calls to the uk.
kind regards Andy

Hi,

The current drive is terminally ill, however the MB does have a couple of SATA connections. I have 2 IDE drives to hand as well, so it's not so bad hopefully. I'm not worried about how long it takes me to do it as it's important that I get it sorted if you see what I mean. I also have a couple of SATA drives as well

I'll PM you my number in a moment.

All the best

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
How did you go with sourcing a drive? I have cloned my R1 for safety and could run a clone of that and organise mail etc if that helps? I'm in Australia though, so postage could be $20-25 and then of course the drive - mine is a 160gb so I'd have to source a 750gb and extend it..

Cheers

Mark
Don't Tech No for an Answer

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply and offer. I've got a drive and Andy (from Sweden) has spent ages (much more that I ever wished for) soting out an image to load onto the new drive. If it doesn't work can I take you up on the offer please? I'll know by tomorrow morning if it has or not.

Best wishes

J

Return to “Muse Research and Development”