Question for 1818 users

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Add on question here for 1818 owners.

Do you feel that upgrade was worthwhile? What are you using the multiple ins /out for that would be unavailable without the 1818? Are you actually able to simultaneously use 8 individual ins AND outs as separate channels? I have a VIP and I do occasionally wish I had digital outs (adat optical or spdif) but other than that I'm not sure why I'd want it.

Just curious if anyone is doing anything astounding with the 1818.

I have been looping for years. Receptor was my answer for having an instant symphony in a live situation. Though I have played with the Gloop that comes bundled with my 3io it is insufficient. There is another qu4tro user that also uses a separate hardware looper. I'm not sure how his setup is but mine has changed a little over time.

For my Boss RC300 I used to have stereo 1/4" cables to/from the 1818 which took up a couple input spaces. I play guitar and percussion as well as the myriad of vsti's. That's four inputs. I have also been able to add in other players including the other two members of one of my bands. I have tags set up for particular venues. I can even invite someone on stage and EQ them pretty quickly. For a year or so I traded in my 1/4" connectors for a S/Pdif connection via a Raspberry Pi and Wolfson sound card tucked in a home made case for the RC300. No latency at 96Khz. I can run separate monitor mixes if I use the mixer mode. In rack mode I only have separate monitor and main mixes. Because the RC300 has a sub-out I now have one of the loop channels routed to a vst multi effect. There's a LOT I can do in real time. The trick is to set the controllers so they're all accessible and to remember which button does what.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Here's a sample of the band through the 1818.

https://youtu.be/61RBvm8diRQ

Donne is on Bass and tap board, run to separate channels. She has her own effects which means I can simply apply Gate/limiter/EQ DSP to each separately.
Hakim has a channel. Though we haven't gotten there yet, I could program change his EQ settings (TrackPlug) to something else in the muffle of a song.
I have two controllers, VOX, a cajon, and guitar plugged in. I also have my iPhone set up for a VNC monitor (also needed to make the Rack go into Live mode.
If Muse were still alive today I would have a few software updates to make the system better. Bryan Lanser did claim that it could run your whole band.This is 80% of why I bought thing.

https://youtu.be/NFtS2W4BVgk?t=1m25s

Let me know if you want any quick setup tips, should you get one. I believe you can connect an 1818 to a VIP if you have the support license.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Nice. That looks like a really fun jam! Makes me wish I could join in!

Yes, the VIP has an option to register the 1818, though I am not sure if it has the horsepower to run as much DSP as your trio.
Extra inputs are always welcome but my real thought is just having separate outs for synths out to P.A., while the regular i/o just processes my guitar in the fx loop of an Eleven Rack which then feeds a stereo guitar cabinet.

If my VIP had the built in ADAT out or at least a spdif, I would be probably be satisfied. Still considering my options.

I have used VNC on an ipad for front panel control, but never in a live setting. I assume you have a wifi router for that in your live rig.
Curious if you've ever had radio interference appear in your P.A. from that?

So, is everything going to the same main PA output or are yearning monitors as well? If you're looking for a rack mixer that doesn't need to run through a DAW then a number of interfaces will do. Presonus VSL series and Firestudio will remember the routing you setup it up with. You can easily route Receptor and 11R as separate FX loops and then sum them to manis and monitor separately. If you have the $ go for an RME UCX. The newer RME UFX has it's own DSP. Stick a router in your rack and you can have someone in the audience dialing you in with a tablet!

And, no extra noise or interference from router so far. I've been in varied venues too.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Hey FOOW (or anyone else) I have a linksys wrt54G that I have set up as a wifi router for ipod VNC control of my stage rig (I already have a cisco 4200 client bridge setup that works well for home). Just wondering what you use on your rig as I would love to have something smaller than the linksys. I have seen a couple of 2 lan port wifi bricks that look intriguing--something like this maybe?

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/deta ... R710N.html

Well that's the cutest thing I've seen. I might've gone for that if I'd known about it at the time. WIW I have a cheap Netgear 150 that is velcroed to the top of my 4u rolly case. The Receptor is a permanent connection and I can connect to my other network via cable. I am searching options for other ways to run a while band. Presonus StudioLive 16R is a 1u stage mixer with DSP for every channel, bus, and output run entirely through WiFi if connected to a router. - Handy and small, made specifically for stage but also has AVB audio over network for recording. There are other options but this one in particular means I would need another router port (which I have with my Netgear) to connect.
IMG_6805.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Well that looks pretty tidy and hassle free! I might be able to pack the linksys similiarly but it's about the same size plus has the 2 antennea and I'm already struggling with space and weight on my 5U rack(no wheels-- my home studio is up a flight of stairs).

I'll probably just stick with the linksys for now... It's free / recycled from an old ISP connection. But tidiness is next to godliness imho
I have even consider a Wifi PCI card internal to the Receptor (There IS a PCI slot in there), but finding and installing a software driver into the Muse OS would be a pretty tough task I think.

Thanks for the Pic! Definitely gives me some ideas.

Mine has no antennae. Maybe you won't have to set them. Mis en place. I have a T3io, 1818, Firestudio mobile, MIDI Quadthru, Router, power strip, 4-TRSxXLR leads, 2-TRS leads, 6'Spdif i/o cable for outboard loop, 1'patch cables to 6 channels - 1818 to FS mobile, and three USB cables. Fits in there quite nicely and a 6'x6' rig sets up in 10 min. or so (controllers, monitors, loop station, mics, acoustic instruments). Now without the need for iPad to monitor T3io Rack (re: nathankingcole post) I can hand it off to a friend to balance volumes from FOH!
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Well, back to my original topic, in a fit of fever induced delirium I went ahead and purchased what may well be the last 1818vsl receptor license in existence. I am only using it with a VIP, so it will never have the horsepower of it's bigger brothers but it does see the interface and I hear noises so I guess it's working. I haven't had much time to play (death in the extended family) and can't seem to assign outputs to line out 1/2 (all the others are avail, but that pair is greyed out). I will have questions.

Sorry for your loss, plethoraguy. I went though that in the midst of our above postings. Everyone has their own experience. Best on all that.

I realize you haven'e formed questions yet but I can give you heads up re: routing. For nearly all presonus interfaces 1/2 is directly tied with the main out. Also, through the Receptor, 7/8 correspond to the headphones. Routing between these two have been near the center of my frustrations since ownership. You really only get 4 stereo outs with the rig. 5 including the S/Pdif. Of course there's ADAT - 2 stereo at 96khz. Huh, I guess a lot of options - unless you're me and have to run everything to the max. #IfIjusthada...
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

This might be something you'd be interested in if you find your VIP doesn't yield the processing power you wish. It may take some of your knowledge in opening the Receptor in Linux but, this video https://youtu.be/1j_Jb602JOM from 2011 demos Universal Control for the 1818, all VSL, and most other products and it's own DSP including Presonus's Fat Channel which is much like the WA TrackPlug. Each channel can have it's own sound conditioning including HPF, gate, and the usual suspects. You can also run A and B FX for Reverb/Delay.

I have downloaded the .exe and moved it to my Receptor drive for possible future use. For now I will connect it up to my laptop and store a preset with plenty of sauce just to see if it will keep the settings after plugging back into Receptor.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Thanks, thats is very intriguing I'll have a look at it later. Thank you also for your kind words, and please accept my condolences for your own recent loss. None of us are getting off this crazy ride alive, so we should always try to make the best of it.

In 2014, this post was put up by a Muse tech:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... e#p5912534

It says not to update the 1818 firmware to v1.3 as it will refer the device incompatible. This was in the era before "Universal Audio" which programs the 1818's DSP and started in 2016

I am waiting for a reply back from a Presonus ticket for more info.

I do know it's possible to try the update and, if it doesn't work reload the v1.2. These links still work:
http://www.plugorama.com/kb.php?id=516
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Contrary to the Presonus Firestudio routing settings and other more recent Presonus stage gear (Series III Stage Mixer) this is the response to 1818 VSL internal DSP:
Technical Support Today at 09:29
The VSL settings are stored locally to the computer.

There is no intended stand alone functionality of the 1818.
Butch Richard
Technical Support Rep
Through this process I downloaded the 1818VSL v1.2.2 and saw that it gives you the ability to store scenes which hold DSP EQ/Gate/Compresion for each channel. Also there are A and B FX bus channels (reverb, delay). All similar to the Receptor Rack layout just sexier and clearer looking.

The direction I'm headed with this is to use the 1818VSL v1.2 software to condition the sound of the 4 mic inputs I use and that would free up the channels in the Rack Mode for whatever effect I wish to use such as Vocoder or specific delay or even that cool phaser thing like in Black Sabbath Planet Caravan.
I can see that the software will have to be loaded into the Receptor. I have a math PhD friend and Linux master working at Sandia Labs who offered to have a look.

Note vias
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Return to “Muse Research and Development”