Problem reloading saved parameters, Zynaddsubfx 2.4.4

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Problem reloading (recently-)saved parameters, Zynaddsubfx 2.4.4

I've been using Zynaddsubfx for some time and first experienced this particular problem 02june2015.

I have a rether detailed and lengthy post but it is being rejected by the spam filter. I'll try to make the necessary five posts, then try again.

If after that I can go back and edit this first post, I will. If not, I will append a new post here.

But in the meantime, is there a known issue with reloading saved parameters?

Thanks.

OK. I decided to post the detailed information below...
Last edited by pinfoot on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There have been issues with saving/loading in the past, so you'll have to be somewhat more specific in regards to what sort of issue you're dealing with.
Almost all of them tend to be external factors interacting poorly and not really bugs within zyn per say, but it's hard to say much of anything without the details.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

Thanks, fundamental. I have an extensively more specific post to make as soon as I can get 5 posts.

Ok, now that I have 5 posts, I'll try to post my more detailed information here:

Problem reloading saved parameters, Zynaddsubfx 2.4.4

Problem reloading (recently-)saved parameters, Zynaddsubfx 2.4.4

I've been using Zynaddsubfx for some time and first experienced this particular problem 02june2015.

Briefly:
I was using Zyn as a soft synth, triggering it with a midi USB keyboard, in a music project. I saved (as afforded in Zyn) the set of parameters I was using (16 midi channels and 2 effects, a reverb and an echo, on just a few of the channels). After I saved the parameters and closed Zyn, I reopened Zyn and tried to load those parameters I'd saved in Zyn earlier. The Zyn UI seemed to pause or hang as I experienced a couple hundred xruns(~=220+). Sound output stopped and jack had frozen. I noticed that Zyn did not actually appear to be crashed, since in Zyn's UI, it's virtual keyboard still opened and closed and looked like it worked (I could see that the virtual keypresses via the mouse were still working in the Zyn UI) but, of course, there was no sound, since jack had frozen.

System information:

Zynaddsubfx version 2.4.4
ubuntu 12.04lts using kxstudio
kernal is 3.8.0-32-lowlatency
This is a 64bit installation on a 3.2+ GHz AMD dual core processor with 8G ram.

I am currently running jack with sr=48000; 3 periods/buffer; buffer size=512; for a latency of ~10.7ms. I can do 2 periods/buffer @ 256 buffer size, but with enough xruns to be unacceptable under the current projects' requirements.

Note on system load/xruns:

I can easily simultaneously record 16+ stereo tracks in Ardour4 with no xruns.

At the time I first experienced this problem, I was running one instance of yoshimi, one instance of Zyn, hydrogen drum machine, one external midi (USB) keyboard, and Audacity. I was using Catia (from KXStudio) for jack connections (as I usually do with no problem). I had a handful of other applications open, including firefox, and my DSP load was reported (by Catia) to be well under 20%. There were no xruns related to load issues.

My troubleshooting efforts:

I tried a few more times to load the saved parameters (the ones where I first noticed the problem), and failed.

So, I set Zyn up with only one midi channel, one instrument, saved the parameter(s), closed Zyn, restarted Zyn, loaded the saved parameter file, and basically the same thing happened: some 220+ xruns, then jack froze again.

I rebooted and tried again, experiencing the same problem. (NOTE: I later tried to duplicate this part of the problem but could not duplicate: i.e., I managed to save and then later open parameters on several occasions with no problem. Additionally, however, last night, 10June2015, I re-loaded by hand those 16 midi instruments into Zyn--without any effects-- and saved the file. I closed Zyn, opened it back up and when I tried to load the newly saved parameters, I had the same problem, some 200+ xruns, and jack froze.)

I tried loading earlier, known-to-be-formerly-working saved sets of parameters, and with ~10 xruns, Zyn loaded the parameters and both Zyn and jack appeared to work just fine. I tried this with a few other older sets of parameters, and experienced the same: ~10 xruns, then Zyn and jack both appear to be working just fine. I don't know if it matters, but I often use micro-tunings and some of those parameters that opened and loaded with no problem used .SCL files for microtunings.

Next, I opened Zyn from a terminal, loaded some known good earlier parameters, and it worked just fine with no error messages. Also, no xruns.

Again, I opened Zyn from a terminal, set-up new a single midi channel parameter and saved this simple parameter; it worked just fine, again with no error messages. Also, no xruns.

Next, I opened Zyn again from a terminal, and tried loading those more robust saved parameters that first gave me the problem. There were again error messages - "jack reports xrun" multiple times (220+?) until jack froze.

I tried this several times. No change.

After one of the next freezes, I kept Zyn open and saved those (the parameters seemed to have loaded in Zyn even though Zyn had stopped making sound since jack was frozen) parameters to a new and differently named file, closed Zyn, restarted jack, restarted Zyn, opened that newly saved parameter file, and got the same errors: Error messages "jack reports xrun" multiple times (220+?) until jack froze.

I did another reboot, tried again to load the failing parameters with the same result: 200+ xruns, jack freezes, Zyn doesn't actually crash itself, but stops making sound since jack has frozen.

I ran updates via synaptic just in case, but it made no difference on this issue.

Since I managed to save and then later open parameters on several occasions with no problem, but then last night, 10JUN2015, I hand-re-loaded those 16 midi instruments in Zyn--without the effects-- and saved the file. Then after closing and restarting Zyn, I tried to load the saved parameters, and had the same problem: some 200+ xruns, and jack froze. My best guess is that there is some problem with the parameter file saving/reading.

Could it be that I tried to save too many midi channels for Zyn to handle? But that doesn't seem right.

Some other information and things I noticed/thought/tried:

I thought maybe pads were the problem. So I set up and saved some parameter files with pads, no problem, they loaded and worked fine.

I rebooted several times. No change.

I changed the audio buffer setting in Zyn, with no obvious effect. I changed it back.

I ran updates via synaptic as noted above, made no difference.

I thought maybe there could be a problem with the parameter file compression, but I didn't change anything about that.

Bright idea: Maybe I could work around if jack was not started before I opened Zyn... That didn't make any difference.

Maybe change the buffer settings in jack? That made no difference.

I looked at the parameter .xmz file in question, uncompressed. It's rather long, nearly 300k, and I didn't see any obvious garbage. I could post it if that would help.

The following probably won't help much, but here is a series of messages from running Zyn within a terminal CLI and experiencing the problem under various circumstances similar to as noted above (but not in any specific order related to exactly the order as I posted above):

Code: Select all

user@machine:~$ zynaddsubfx

ZynAddSubFX - Copyright (c) 2002-2011 Nasca Octavian Paul and others
                Copyright (c) 2009-2014 Mark McCurry [active maintainer]
Compiled: Jun 29 2014 11:17:47
This program is free software (GNU GPL v.2 or later) and 
it comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

Try 'zynaddsubfx --help' for command-line options.

Sample Rate =           48000
Sound Buffer Size =     512 samples
Internal latency =      10.7 ms
ADsynth Oscil.Size =    1024 samples
Starting Audio: JACK
Jack buffer resized
Audio Started
Starting MIDI: JACK
MIDI Started
Deactivating and closing JACK client
user@machine:~$ 

Sound Buffer Size =     512 samples
Internal latency =      10.7 ms
Jack buffer resized
Audio Started
MIDI Started                                                                                                                                                                        
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun                                                                                                                                                                   
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun

Sound Buffer Size =     256 samples
Internal latency =      5.3 ms
Jack buffer resized
Audio Started
MIDI Started
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun

Jack buffer resized
Audio Started
MIDI Started
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun
Jack reports xrun

Thank you for any help on this issue.

ok, that's a long post.
While I'm going through that, if possible I'd see if you can get the zynaddsubfx-git package from kxstudio, as that might resolve the issue.

Thanks for the rapid reply. I'll check...

Yeah, this was fixed in the 2.5.0 release, which falktx didn't package due to the remaining bugs in that release.
The vast vast majority of these issues have been fixed in git and once I carve out some time for it the 2.5.1 release will get released soon.

OK I got the git from the KXStudio repo:

2.5.0+git20150428-1kxstudio3

When I try to load the old parameter that gave me the problym initially, it crashes Zyn...

Run from a terminal:

I see a lot of dots (heartbeat?)

Code: Select all

~$ zynaddsubfx
rtosc: Failed to generate minimal hash

ZynAddSubFX - Copyright (c) 2002-2013 Nasca Octavian Paul and others
Compiled: Apr 29 2015 16:10:06

lo server running on 12199
Note: trying to remove /tmp/zynaddsubfx_23957 - the process does not exist anymore.
Jack buffer resized
Audio Started
MIDI Started

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Segmentation fault
I might need to change the buffer settings...

I now see your earlier response...

So I'll have to wait for the 2.5.1 release? It seems to work except for loading those pesky saved parameters.

Ok, I just pinged the kxstudio maintainer and the zynaddsubfx-git package should be updated in a few minutes.

Thank you.
Linux is awesome, as is your assistance and, of course, falkTX, etc....

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”