Routing in Reaper

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

When I load Zyn in Reaper, I’m asked about multitrack routing: “Do you want to add the following tracks for this effect?...”
If yes, I get many tracks:
Stereo 1/2 to new track 2 “Out1+2”
Stereo 2/3 to new track 2 “Out3+4”
Etc.

I want to route each channel (or track) from the Zyn panel window to the different tracks created in Reaper. I tried to change the channel in the panel window and tweaked around in Reaper routing (midi channel, audio channel, etc…). No result.

With other VST like Toontrack drum software, it works great: Reaper askes for multichannel routing when you load the VST. And then, you just have to choose multitrack output in the VST.

Thanks for help.

Raymond

Hi! You didn't mention which version.
In the classic version (2.4.x) you have to enable this... I know it's probably not the most intuitive way:
Open the MIDI window and click 'Multi Channel'.
After this:
Out1+2 will be disabled.
Out3+4 will correspond to Part1 stereo audio.
Out5+6 will correspond to Part2 stereo audio.
and so on...

Also, in this way global effects won't work any more, because the mixing of parts is being bypassed.

Hope this works for you!
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

Thanks Jachoo, it works… But it doesn’t fix my problem: I want to create a polyphonic sound: a bass with a third party midi arpeggiator, and a pad without arpeggios (because there is no real arpeggiator in Zyn). The only way to do it is multitrack routing, but if it’s not possible to route midi channels (in the panel window, both sounds are on channel 1). Because a midi (not audio) FX must be placed before the VST, the arpeggiator must be on the VST track, before Zyn, and sent only to the Reaper channel where the bass sound is routed. I don’t find the way to make it work.

May you have an idea (I hope you understand my bad English!)

I’m using the latest vst version (2.4.1.496 beta)

Merci

Hi,

I found a solution: routing only midi (not audio) in Reaper to several tracks, one per instrument selected in the Zyn panel window. So I achieved the goal to put a midi FX (arppegiator) on my bass only. But the problem remains with audio FX: they must be on the VST track, and it’s a new brain teaser to route an audio FX to some instruments only.

Finally, it doesn’t make so much sense, and the best way seems to forget the multi instruments capabilities of Zyn (the panel Window), and to create (in Reaper) a Zyn track for each instrument. So I can put midi or audio FX where I want.

Hi,

I played a little with Reaper's demo.

Attach ZynAddSubFX to a track. I named it "Zyn"
Open the Reaper GUI for the VST.
Activate multiple outputs (inside Zyn) and use the matrix to route 3+4 to 1, 5+6 to 2 and so on

Then create a track of each output / zyn instrument (new tracks - I called them Out1, Out2, Out3).
Route the signal from the the original zyn track as sends to the other tracks:

Now I guess you can add audio FX for each OutX track (Out1, Out2,...)

Maybe this helps!
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

Many thanks, Jackoo,

I'll try it soon (next week end probably), and let you know. But It will surely work!

Merci beaucoup.

Jackoo's method should work! I've done multi-out with the old Zyn in Reaper plenty of times, and that's exactly how I set it up.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Fine. I'll use it next week end. Thanks again.

Yes it works!

You'll say that I want my cake and eat it, but the final goal would be to root midi and audio, so I could put midi FX and audio FX on each routed track (for exemple a midi arpeggiator and a EQ on one routed track only). Of course, the radical method is to have a VSTI track per sound (no routing), what works with Zyn or any other virtual instrument. In this case, each track has midi keyboard as input, so you can play all tracks together. Not very refined, of course.

Merci beaucoup.

I think you actually can do that, but you have to go into Reaper's settings and turn on "allow feedback in routing". Then create a MIDI send from the track to Zyn, and an audio send from Zyn back to the track. It'd be a little odd, and I'm not sure how the midi FX would work with that, but the routing is definitely possible.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Yes, probably. Reaper is considered as routing monster! But I'm not a expert. May I try once...

Thanks for all.

mistake sorry

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”