FreqAnalyst Multi in Sonar not Muting?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have FreqAnalyst running in Sonar X2 (as VST/VST2) and have set up the multi support to analyze across multiple tracks. So far, so good. Runs nicely. At start, the displayed graphics respond to each track as expected. (I'm running in stereo on all tracks, about 5 sets.)

If I adjust the input gain or pan on the track, I can see results in FreqAnalyst on each tweaked track. But, if I adjust the fader or set to Mute, for that track, there is no change in the FreqAnalyst graphics. I can, for example, set the fader all the way up or Mute without changing the FreqAnalyst graphics. I still can mess with the input gain or pan and see changes in the graphics. (It's odd seeing all my tracks Muted, hearing no sound, but seeing FreqAnalyst still displaying very active responses on all tracks.)

So, it looks to me like FreqAnalyst is sampling the signal at input on the track right after the input gain control, no? Shouldn't it be sampling the the track output (after the fader and FX)?

Assuming this is just how it is, is the recommended approach to send the track to a separate bus and then attach FreqAnalyst to that bus instead of directly to the track? This seems a bit awkward, but if I have to do that I will. I assume this will be the expected use for all the multi tools in Sonar. (I'm just starting using the Analysis Pack.)

Or, am I setting this up wrong? I'm creating an instance of FreqAnalyst Multi on each track, of course.

Thanks! :)

Steve
Steve Sherman Publishing, LLC

Thank you for your feedback!

The FreqAnalyst Multi plug-in samples the signal where you have put the plug-in :-). So in your case, I think that Sonar's mute button operates AFTER the effects bin, hence the behavior that you describe. Some other host applications have pre and post bins, but for Mute I think that most hosts will have a similar bahavior.

If you really need the mute button to "mute" what you see in the "Multi" analyzers, I guess that there is no other way than creating a bus for each of them.

But maybe you want to ask on the Sonar forums: maybe there is a simpler way to do what you want.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:Thank you for your feedback!

The FreqAnalyst Multi plug-in samples the signal where you have put the plug-in :-). So in your case, I think that Sonar's mute button operates AFTER the effects bin, hence the behavior that you describe. Some other host applications have pre and post bins, but for Mute I think that most hosts will have a similar bahavior.

If you really need the mute button to "mute" what you see in the "Multi" analyzers, I guess that there is no other way than creating a bus for each of them.

But maybe you want to ask on the Sonar forums: maybe there is a simpler way to do what you want.
Thank you for the response! I think it is correct that it is being attached before both the fader and the mute. So ...

I added the buses as I described. It worked fine after that. This is actually a better approach because I can select Pre- or Post- for the send to the bus and quickly switch between to compare.

Once I did that with all the tracks I wanted to watch, FreqAnalyst worked beautifully. It helped me rapidly narrow down where I was exceeding K-14 level ranges.

There is a little bug I found in DP Meter Pro. The peak indicator for the right channel gets set (red) and won't clear when I click on it. A minor annoyance.

Bottom line, I thought maybe I spent too much to get this visibility. I was wrong. These tools are fantastic. They enable me to see mastering and mixing issues. In seconds, I was able to see problems I couldn't hear but knew were there. Love 'em. It's like turning on a light and being able to see the little critters you could only hear in the corners before.

Steve

Thanks, we are glad that you like it!

About the clip indicator, we are not able to reproduce the problem. Are you using the latest version (4.01)?

Hi,

I am running with Sonar X2a, build 351 for x64 with DP Meter Pro 4 (Stereo) - v4.01. I ran with audio that did not go into red. As soon as it started playing the right limit lamp went red even thought the audio did not go into red. Clicking on the limit did not clear it. I reproduced this on my system just now. FWIW, I also have a bunch of other VSTs running on the system as well. If you want, I can email a pdf or docx with this description plus screenshots.

Steve

Sure, that would be great, thanks!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”