Difference btw 'channels average' and 'channels max'?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just want to compare overlapping frequency spectrums of channels, which is better to choose?

Do you mean betwen L/R channels, or between two tracks?

The avergae between channels is just the average of amplitude values between channels, and the max is, ehh, the maximum. In most cases it does not make a big differences if your track is not heavily stereo.

I'd rather recommened using the average anyway, as it will be the most stable over time if the track is heavily panned.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:Do you mean betwen L/R channels, or between two tracks?

The avergae between channels is just the average of amplitude values between channels, and the max is, ehh, the maximum. In most cases it does not make a big differences if your track is not heavily stereo.

I'd rather recommened using the average anyway, as it will be the most stable over time if the track is heavily panned.
If I'm comparing a 'pads' bus with 'lead' and 'bass' busses for instance. I also want to compare tracks, but everything will be stereo except a 'sub' bus

In this case, the average sould be just fine. If you are heavily panning, you may also have to check L/R channels of each instruments separately.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”