Patchwork 2: muting parallel chains

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Patchwork 2.0, if I mute all of the parallel chains, I would expect the final output to be muted. Instead the plugin appears to pass through its input unaltered except by the input level control. The exception to this is if I solo one of the muted parallel chains. Then, the final output is muted.

Is my description correct? If so, what is the reason for this design decision? Thanks in advance (and forgive me if this information is in another thread that I couldn't find).

--Bob Richard

Hi,

That's indeed the way it works: if no parallel chain is selected, the dry signal is directly transmitted to the post chain.

The reason is that it allows you to compare easily with/without effect chains. And also it "just works" out of the box if you are not using parallel chains. The idea of the parallel chains is to add effects, not mute the signal.

Why would you want to completely mute the signal btw?

Blue Cat Audio wrote: ... Why would you want to completely mute the signal btw?
Only because I would have found that less confusing at first. I guess it's just the way my mind works (or doesn't work, as the case might be). The new Exclusive Solo Mode gives me the capability I want for making comparisons among effects chains. I just add an empty parallel chain and solo it to bypass all the others.

Having said that, I can see how this would be more intuitive with plugins in the post chain. I was using HOFA 4U Blind Test, which goes in each of parallel chains, to level-match the comparison. If I had been using MeterPlugs Perception instead, part of it would have gone in the post chain and I would have seen this differently.

Thank you for the very helpful and fast reply.

--Bob Richard

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”