VST-wrapper for GUI-less plugins, with Skin-Builder

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mGUI now contains a skinnable VST-wrapper for GUI-less plugins.

mGUIman has a built-in automatic Skin-Builder, and can share the same MIDI-controller between different mGUI VST-wrappers and instances ...

It is possible to wrap any GUI-less VSTi or VST, you can create your own skins ... 3 different skin-themes are included: Grey, Cream and Black

mGUI is freeware, in return I would like everyone to donate their own creates skins / templates / presets back to the community.
You can upload your own creations on the mGUI WIKI pages.

The following VST-wrapper examples can be downloaded from here, only download the v1.3 stuff ...
  • Juicy77
  • Juicy77x2 - load 2 instances of Juicy77
  • TS' Secret
  • W1 Limiter
  • AriesVerb
  • mdaBeatBox
  • mdaCombo
  • VanillaComp
See this thread for MIDI-plugin examples ...

NOTE: this information is outdated, please go to http://asseca.org for updated information !!
How to set-up the VST wrapper (using the built-in skin-builder): (naming convention: the plugin to be wrapped is called myvst.dll)
  1. if myvst.dll contains an internal preset/bank, then save this to .FXP/.FXB
  2. copy myvst.dll to asData\plugins.
  3. add the line copy mGUI.dll myvst_GUI.dll to copy-dlls.bat and run copy-dlls.bat, (you might need to download "mgui-update.zip")
  4. now, load myvst_GUI.dll and
    1. load the corresponding child plugin
    2. load the template .SKN skin, e.g. "Template-asGrey.ini" these are specially formatted .SKN files
    3. now, unload and then reload the plugin
    4. (optionally) click on the little LED above the "Design"-button, this LED will no light up, when now unloading the plugin,
      this is only needed once after using the skin-builder,
      the parameter-numbers in the .SKN file will now be replaced with the parameter-names
    5. DONE, now you can modify the skin to your own taste ... (see the advanced section)
NOTE: the skin-builder can only place the first 180 parameters on the skin ...

BTW, it is possible to build/rebuild just the skin by loading e.g. Template-asCream.skn from the "Options Panel" ...

Here's a short explanation of the "design" button:
The "Design" button has 3 modes
  • Preset mode - used for normal operation + MIDI learn/set for each preset (works only if "plugin.ini" has useChunks=1 (see Properties panel)
  • Global mode - MIDI/PRMs set for the plugin's global state, the MIDI/PRMs settings are saved in the "Plugin.ini", (see Properties panel)
  • Move mode - to position the knobs and resize the plugin
Last edited by asseca on Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:01 am, edited 64 times in total.

good idea!!!

This wrapper, if it works OK on different machines, might also be ideal for developers to quickly get a GUI-less prototype running, before getting into the hassle of creating the GUI ...

I get the feeling that the GUI takes the more time to develop than the actual synth/effects code ...

HINT: mGUI has very good MIDI capabilities ... :wink:
Last edited by asseca on Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I get the feeling that the GUI takes the more time to develop than the actual synth/effects code ...
You bet ya!

Thanks!

//Daniel :)

Wonderful!

This is a great idea especially for someone like me who is just getting into plug-in programming (well programming in general) and wants to spend more time on the actual algorithms/code.
"Music is a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which doesn't know that it is counting." - Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz
---
e to the i pi plus one equals zero

I have just updated the documentation ... just download the "mgui-update.zip" file ... ;-)

SpinAudio SkinRack is the App your looking for, but you probablly don't need it since you already made your own skins, might want to check it out anyway. 8)

BFunKu wrote:SpinAudio SkinRack is the App your looking for, but you probablly don't need it since you already made your own skins, might want to check it out anyway. 8)

mGUI is more flexible and powerful than SkinRack, and it is free ... ;-)
Also, AFAIK SkinRack has not been updated for years, and is not available anymore ...

Great to see asseca :)

Thanks

It looks really neat.
So if i understand correctly, i could take the GUIless bu excelelnt AriesVerb, throw it thourgh your plugin, nd get a nicely skinned vst ?
Is there any skin templates or things like that ?
I don't know anything (or so few) about vst skin design...

Ok, i'm just dumb, i see on your page that Ariesverb has already been skinned :)
you read my mind !

I extracted the ariesverb plugin using 7zip, extracted it into my vst folder, but nor Reaper nor Live seem to find it... :(

Ok, Dummy #01 : i have just rade "NOTE: you need to place the original DLLs in "asData\Plugins" before loading the wrapper plugins ... "
i might better go to sleep :)

thanks for skinning (and let us skin) GUIless plugins

BTW, the GUI's I have made are a bit crude, anyone is welcome to improve on these ...

TIP: DO NOT CHANGE the contents of the "asGrey" and "asCream" folders OR the supplied .skn files, but make a copy of the .skn file and also make a seperate folder in "asData\skins", then copy/place you own bitmaps in this new folder.

I have included a step-by-step tutorial on how to create your own VST-wrapper in the latest update ... ;-)

Return to “Effects”