VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

_dada_ wrote:Hmmm ...
If I got it right, this ( very nice looking ) comp
won't be good at compressing a stereo mix in L/R mode,
as left and right are not linkable
and the stereo image would get unstable easily ?

bye, Jan
Hi Jan,

imho you can't say that in general, but it alway depends on the material (edit: and what you want to achieve). To some people this is a very kind of a religious thing too, so I wont stress that here.
On my very own I prefer the unlinked processing as long as it works and with Density I just offer a different approach if it tends to not work anymore.
There will ever be some situations where linking is the superior choice but than you just choose a different weapon from all those go-to comps.

peace,
bootsie
follow me on Image

Point taken.
Density seems to be pretty unique, though
and it would be great, if it was a bit more versatile.
I.e.: would have a link L/R option.

Sure enough, this is just a suggestion.
Thanks, for offering Your plugs for free !!

bye, Jan

Linked stereo is exactly the same as compressing just the Mid channel, so if you're compressing mid, L and R all at the same time you have sort of a HALF-linked situation. Could be neat. And again, if you run them in series it's like the RNC supernice mode.

you probably mean: the same as obtaining the SC signal from the mid (the compression itself is of course executed on both L, R).
And even that is only true if the link is implemented as simple L+R. It could be something like max(|L|,|R|) or even more sophisticated.

however, I'm really curious what the beta crew will find out on that and if there will be such a demand for a link option.

peace,
bootsie
follow me on Image

do you still need people for beta??have sent you a pm,but havent heard from you??

I just wasn't able to handle all requests these days, I'm so busy at the moment.
I hope I can send some bits out to all testers on wednesday, if not it will become probably weekend. But be shure you will get all details by PN here.
follow me on Image

Looking forward to it bootsie :D!

L

There have been several discussions among the mastering engineers about linked versus unlinked and last I counted, most prefer their analogue hardware unlinked. It gives a more "relaxed" feel (at the cost of slightly incoherent stereoimage, which ironically makes it seem wider and sometimes more natural). However, on some modern pop/electro it is imperative to keep the meticulously constructed stereo image in tact. Especially if sharp, energy heavy, loud transients ping-pong around the Left and Right, the stereo field extremes. In these situations it is safer to use a linked or partially linked compressor.

One of the reasons we will not be selling our FX8000 is because it can do a fully variably linked stereo or mid/side compression, set by the user in 1% increments. This is an extremely powerful solution and I usually gravitate towards L+R being linked at about 60 to 70%. It's not stated in the manual how or where this % number is taken from but it seems to be some kind of mean value. That is, at 70% linked each channel still reacts rather independently to quick transients but they each follow one another through the main part of the audio.

Because it's possible to set it individually for each channel it works equally well in Mid/Side mode.

The only plugin compressor which has the same kind of system and flexibility is FabFilter Pro-C.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:There have been several discussions among the mastering engineers about linked versus unlinked and last I counted, most prefer their analogue hardware unlinked. It gives a more "relaxed" feel (at the cost of slightly incoherent stereoimage, which ironically makes it seem wider and sometimes more natural). However, on some modern pop/electro it is imperative to keep the meticulously constructed stereo image in tact. Especially if sharp, energy heavy, loud transients ping-pong around the Left and Right, the stereo field extremes. In these situations it is safer to use a linked or partially linked compressor.

One of the reasons we will not be selling our FX8000 is because it can do a fully variably linked stereo or mid/side compression, set by the user in 1% increments. This is an extremely powerful solution and I usually gravitate towards L+R being linked at about 60 to 70%. It's not stated in the manual how or where this % number is taken from but it seems to be some kind of mean value. That is, at 70% linked each channel still reacts rather independently to quick transients but they each follow one another through the main part of the audio.
Makes absolutely sense to me. I remember when the UAD Buscompressor came out recently I was so disappointed cauz it's just plain linked (fixed, 100%).
follow me on Image

It's been far too long.. BUMP! (or am I the only one not receiving any PM's from booty? :help:)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

No bmanic,

you're not the only one. Would like to check this thingy out. Bootsy, everything cool with you?

Shogger

I hear that releasing compressors to those who care is good for your health... :hihi:

bduffy wrote:I hear that releasing compressors to those who care is good for your health... :hihi:
Any chance you were talking to yourself when you heard this? :hihi:
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

eduardo_b wrote:
bduffy wrote:I hear that releasing compressors to those who care is good for your health... :hihi:
Any chance you were talking to yourself when you heard this? :hihi:
Of course. I care. :)

I hear that showing off your compressor but not releasing it is the "in" thing to do this year, so maybe Bootsie is trying to be hip. :P

Return to “Effects”