Audio Damage Automaton now available...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does those effects working in parallel only or serial as well?
Last edited by Igro on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

i don't want to be all criticism, but here goes.....

i like Glitchy stuff, i believe it has real place in music.

assuming that the definition of music is...

"Art concerned with combining vocal or instrumental sounds for beauty of form or emotional expression."

I checked out the demo videos.....

and woaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh do they go on..... cool you made the pluggin...... total respect.......... but you make a joke about Ritalin and xbox for those with a low attention span........ then just go off in ramble .... i was fighting for my life...

my conclusion was that it was a complex and exciting plugin.....but i wasn't sure if it just all sounded ugly and noisy and random, rather that musical. maybe it was the loop used in the demo vids. or the laid back voice over, (well 'bueller' ramble....)

so i checked out the video for the the Replicant and this seemed a better music loop and less of a ramble.

surely I'm entitled to my opinion... it's not meant to be offensive.

but my point is: After my initial excitement, i was 'put off' the plugin after watching the video.....is that cool?

Igro wrote:Does those effects working in parallel only or serial too?
actually only serial, i think, according to the manual.
and if that is the case that would mean that if the replicate effect ran over its potential 16 measures it would also block the other effects before it in the chain. will have to check if that is the case.

it would be a cool thing to be able to patch or load an external effect vst into one of those effect slots , that way you could introduce any fx you want.

fabi wrote:
Igro wrote:Does those effects working in parallel only or serial too?
actually only serial, i think, according to the manual.
and if that is the case that would mean that if the replicate effect ran over its potential 16 measures it would also block the other effects before it in the chain. will have to check if that is the case.
i checked, they are in series and thus replicate negates all knob-tweaking if it's set to run for a long time. considering this, in my opinion, it might have been more useful to use replicate as the first effect so that if used as a looper the rest of the plug wouldn't just cease to have any effect on the audio, but it's not my design and this may be a special case. :shrug:

glad for ad to hear (on the blog) that automaton seems to be well-received, though. :)
Last edited by fabi on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

fabi wrote:i checked, they are in series and thus replicate negates all knob-tweaking if it's set to run for a long time. considering this in my opinion it would have been more useful to use replicate as the first effect so that if used as a looper the rest of the plug wouldn't just cease to have any effect on the audio, but it's not my design and this may be a special case. :shrug:
thank you for info, fabi!

no problem. i want to be fair to ad, though, it's just something that puzzled me. i've been having loads of fun with automaton.

and maybe i misunderstood chris, but i think that it was hinted at that the free space between the fx and the master section may be considered for additional effects in the future. don't want to start any rumors, though, better check the blog or wait if he comments.

i wish adam and chris deserved quiet and relaxation, though, after having put automaton out the door. :)

edit: edited something that meant the opposite of what i had wanted to say. :oops: :lol:

fabi wrote: but i think that it was hinted at that the free space between the fx and the master section may be considered for additional effects in the future.
Exactly my thoughts, even before its been released.
It could be reverser and....i don't know what else.

shanecgriffo wrote:it would be a cool thing to be able to patch or load an external effect vst into one of those effect slots , that way you could introduce any fx you want.
Yep, I was just going to post this as well. Been thinking about it in regards to Effectrix already.

It should definitely be doable, because there are several VST/AU subhosts that can host plugins while themselves being plugins inside other hosts.

- J

mellotronaut wrote:i'm against more fx in Automaton ... better to keep it simple, but a new plug with the same sequencer and different effects would be cool!
+1 :)

KBKB wrote:i don't want to be all criticism, but here goes.....

i like Glitchy stuff, i believe it has real place in music.

assuming that the definition of music is...

"Art concerned with combining vocal or instrumental sounds for beauty of form or emotional expression."

I checked out the demo videos.....

and woaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh do they go on..... cool you made the pluggin...... total respect.......... but you make a joke about Ritalin and xbox for those with a low attention span........ then just go off in ramble .... i was fighting for my life...

my conclusion was that it was a complex and exciting plugin.....but i wasn't sure if it just all sounded ugly and noisy and random, rather that musical. maybe it was the loop used in the demo vids. or the laid back voice over, (well 'bueller' ramble....)

so i checked out the video for the the Replicant and this seemed a better music loop and less of a ramble.

surely I'm entitled to my opinion... it's not meant to be offensive.

but my point is: After my initial excitement, i was 'put off' the plugin after watching the video.....is that cool?

The videos are tutorials not exactly demonstrations... hence the "ramble"

But, hey, you're right... you're entitled to your opinion. :)

Another fun thing to do with it is stick an Automaton on a few mixer channels, each panned a little differently, and route the same signal to all of them for parallel craziness. Works pretty well with the first preset due to the random reseed, or use different settings on all of 'em.

You wind up with something that's coherent, but busy.

Then you insert Dubstation in front of the parallel Automata, and Replicant at the end...

shamann wrote:
bmanic wrote:How do you use it with other FX? Or you just mean you insert other 3rd party effects after Automaton?
Stick Automaton in send mode, use only modulator triggers, set the modulator to 100% dry, et voilà, a cellular automata-based gate. Stick a phaser and delay after it, route original audio to another channel, and you have intermittent affected audio mixed in. Might sound something like this:

http://www.sighup.ca/misc/ca_gate.mp3
That is f**king fantastic. I'm giddy to get out of class and make my first 'Damage purchase. :hyper:
KBKB wrote: and woaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh do they go on..... cool you made the pluggin...... total respect.......... but you make a joke about Ritalin and xbox for those with a low attention span........ then just go off in ramble .... i was fighting for my life...

My favorite part of the video demonstrations were when Chris would ramble. I like being able to have my funny bone tickled and to be shown a thing or two shortly thereafter.
I've recorded over 400 answering machines - the Best Of recordings are available for use and can be found here:
https://answerphone.tumblr.com/

KBKB wrote: .................. I checked out the demo videos.....

and woaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh do they go on..... cool you made the pluggin...... total respect.......... but you make a joke about Ritalin and xbox for those with a low attention span........ then just go off in ramble .... i was fighting for my life... ........
I think that's maybe because you do actually have a short attention span. The rest of the video was not designed for people like you. In fact you it was dangerous for you to even attempt to sit through the extended tutorial bit and you are indeed lucky to be alive. :hihi:

If you still need a demo of all the features you could try downloading the video, then playing it in QT while holding down the fast forward button. Be sure to have a play on your X-box during the download just to be safe. :P

Enough sillyness ........ I am actually not a huge fan of glitchy/loopy programmed music per se. I don't make that kind of music on the whole at all. But I bought Automaton anyway because I have nothing like it and it does (even after just a couple of hours play today) seem able to produce some very subtle, not in-your-face-glitch effects and works well on in not so obvious musical contexts. Putting for example (thick) reverb/choruses after it and/or mixing it in with other (unaffected) material (rather than it affecting a whole mix) is the quickest way to bring out its ore subtle musical side..... I can tell i'm going to be doing lots of routing and combining with other FX experimentation with this plug.

Oh crap that paragraph was too long - he's gone already..... :lol:
There are too many groups, there are too many musicians - M.E.S.

Okay, for the record, you don't get to complain about rambling and nonsensical when you type like that, KBKB. But for the record, I dislike making these videos intensely. Each one takes about half a day to make, between actually doing it and all the time my computer is tied up rendering. I only do them in order to show the features of each plugin. I'm not trying to entertain you, and frankly, if you're looking for entertaining tutorials, you're gonna be looking long and hard.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, you don't get to criticize without backing up your statements. In this context, I would hope you'd provide a link to a video that you _do_ like, an example of how _you_ of the short attention span (and apparently excellent musical taste) would prefer a tutorial video be made. If there's a shorter way to describe a plugin with several dozen parameters, I'd be more than happy to hear about it.

Return to “Effects”