Cytomic 'The Glue' Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

News update: The Glue Beta v1.3.16 is out! Make sure to load the plugin in a blank project to make sure it's authorised before loading existing songs as there is a new more stable machine id being used. I've reset everyone's authorisation counts because everyone will be have to re-authorise :)
  • New: minimum phase and intermediate phase modes for oversampling
  • New: global CPU meter
  • New: more stable better machine id generation
Make sure to click the little (+) sign to show the beta builds:
https://cytomic.com/glue
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Andy you Devil :D

This new minimum phase oversampling option is interesting. First of all, for years I tried to avoid it because I thought you can never use it if there's any kind of parallel processing. Turns out the problem was that most of the implementations had uncompensated latency/non-integer group delay. Properly implemented minimum phase oversampling is much more benign.
So as for the sound, it's really hard to pinpoint a difference but minimum phase option seems to be slightly punchier. As if low end passes quicker. But maybe my ears play tricks with me.

Quick notice: I was trying things our and had Glue going completely mute. It was not passing audio at all, simultaneously CPU usage jumped to nearly 100%. Turns out I cannot use anything more than x4 oversampling, x8 or x16 mute the audio. That's strange as with the previous version I used x16 all the time. Also, the usage @x4 is only 6-7% on the CPU meter, so I probably have some more juice left.

PS, that's on Win10 x64 Reaper

andy-cytomic wrote:News update: The Glue Beta v1.3.16 is out! Make sure to load the plugin in a blank project to make sure it's authorised before loading existing songs as there is a new more stable machine id being used. I've reset everyone's authorisation counts because everyone will be have to re-authorise :)
  • New: minimum phase and intermediate phase modes for oversampling
  • New: global CPU meter
  • New: more stable better machine id generation
Make sure to click the little (+) sign to show the beta builds:
Hi, I keep hoping for the scream manual so I can hopefully understand what HD Render does..
and what are the uses of min and intermediate phase models. I am sure I have read Dave Gamble and others write about it, but to be honest I have little or no interest in all the technical stuff.
oversampling 101... when and why would I use the new phase modes?
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

andy-cytomic wrote: [*] New: minimum phase and intermediate phase modes for oversampling

Interesting! Will have to compare the difference.

zvenx wrote: Hi, I keep hoping for the scream manual so I can hopefully understand what HD Render does..
and what are the uses of min and intermediate phase models. I am sure I have read Dave Gamble and others write about it, but to be honest I have little or no interest in all the technical stuff.
oversampling 101... when and why would I use the new phase modes?
thanks
rsp
The HD on render doesn't actually do anything at the moment, I need to remove it until it does, it only works with The Drop.

For most compression I recommend using the linear phase mode as when multiple of these are chained all your frequencies stay put at the cost of time delay. If you want shorter delay for your low frequencies and don't mind your high frequencies being delayed more then use the intermediate phase mode. If you want the shortest low frequency latency possible and don't mind even more high frequency delay then use the minimum phase mode. Here are some plots so you can see what is going on:

Still have some weird problems when I change oversampling options, sometimes the plugin mutes audio and CPU usage spikes.

meloco_go wrote:Still have some weird problems when I change oversampling options, sometimes the plugin mutes audio and CPU usage spikes.
Thanks for the report, and sorry about the trouble I'm looking into this at the moment but having trouble to reliably reproduce it. Can you please send me an email describing how you can get it to happen, including some version numbers of OS and host and 32/64 bitness? support@cytomic.com Thanks!

PS: and soundcard and process buffer length settings please!

EDIT: don't worry I found it already and fixed it. I'll release a new version shortly.

andy-cytomic wrote:EDIT: don't worry I found it already and fixed it. I'll release a new version shortly.
Great! Because it seemed to be of the kind of bugs which are toughest to iron out, as I couldn't find the conditions which caused it.

Any news on the update?
Am I crazy and it is kinda contagious? Can it even be possible?
Because I have the new version alongside the old one under different name (REAPER allows this) and yesterday both refused to work :o

meloco_go wrote:Any news on the update?
Am I crazy and it is kinda contagious? Can it even be possible?
Because I have the new version alongside the old one under different name (REAPER allows this) and yesterday both refused to work :o
The update is on the way in the next few hours. I found on Windows a shutdown memory issue with the framework I'm using called Juce on Windows 10. It took quite a few days of investigation and debugging to find a fix. I ended up having to update from Visual Studio 2012 to Visual Studio 2015, which then meant I had to regenerate lots of projects and rebuild all supporting libraries to use this compiler as well. It's been a pretty boring few days all up and I've had to do lots of testing to make sure everything is working properly. Switching compilers is a big change.

Sounds like a pretty serious migration. I hope the new setup helps your workflow. I have great respect for you people who basically dream about algorithms and make these tools we use and enjoy.

I have The Glue sitting on the master bus of our next song we're releasing soon - I'm not going to jinx it by updating just yet.. but please, as you were :D

News update: The Glue v1.3.17 is up. This version fixes a problem with bug with the new oversampling system. Click on the little (+) button in the download section and remember to double check in a new project that the plugin is authorised if you haven't done so in a while:

MogwaiBoy wrote:Sounds like a pretty serious migration. I hope the new setup helps your workflow. I have great respect for you people who basically dream about algorithms and make these tools we use and enjoy.

I have The Glue sitting on the master bus of our next song we're releasing soon - I'm not going to jinx it by updating just yet.. but please, as you were :D
Changing compiler gives me the heeby-jeebies, but not so much as a weird bug (which isn't in any code I wrote!) overwriting memory that isn't mine to touch when shutting down. If it ain't broken don't fix it is big in my book, so please do stick with whichever version you are getting work done with :tu:

(edit: but if you had the 1.3.16 update then please go ahead and update to 1.3.17 since it will be stable again with all oversampling settings)

andy-cytomic wrote:News update: The Glue v1.3.17 is up. This version fixes a problem with bug with the new oversampling system. Click on the little (+) button in the download section and remember to double check in a new project that the plugin is authorised if you haven't done so in a while:

Great! Thank you!
I wonder with new oversampling options: since there are control voltage path and audio path in this compression, maybe it would make sense to have separate OS options for both? Could be a waste of CPU and a PITA to get the timing right, but maybe it is a way to get the correct behavior of diode (as you have shown in Scream) and still have full phase coherency when used as the parallel processor.

Return to “Effects”