Redline Monitor - how does it work?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

try the demo.. its good for a couple of months!

BASSDRIVE wrote:I use FL Studio 8 and have Sony MDR-V600 headphones. Will it work properly with my host and sound good in my cans?
It works in FL8, yes. The version I tried had some bug (it did some memory corruptions a few times and failed to load at some point) but if those have been fixed, I don't think there's any problem specific to FL.

Whether it sounds good, you'll have to try yourself, and see if you like it. I got a pair of Sennheiser HD595 here that I tested it with, and it did localize the channels (as far as my ears are concerned) more or less where one would expect. I personally didn't like what it did with the stereo image when fed with something more fancy than pan-potted mono, and I also didn't really appreciate what happened to my bass (I kinda prefer to hear the pool of mud so I can attempt to do something about it) but I can see why someone would like it, and I admit that it sounds more natural than regular headphones (maybe I'm just too used to headphones and like them the way they work).

bmanic wrote:I just tried the demo and I'm pretty impressed! By far the most useful "makes headphones viable for mixing" tool I ever tried. Sure, it doesn't make your headphones sound like speakers, at all. The distance knob is pretty useless in my opinion and only smears the phase in a weird way.
A tad late reply, but the "phase" smearing is in fact an (admittedly very jagged) EQ curve that imitates the filtering effect of one's pinnae. You'll find that the effect diminishes a lot if you give your ears some time to adjust to it. But I knew in advance that some users would prefer no mucking about with frequency content (while for others it doesn't seem radical enough in its current incarnation--you really can't please everybody :)), which is why it can be disabled entirely.

-- dj!
Morgana | Redline Series | Big Blue Series

Steelhead wrote:1) What kind of headphones (close, (semi)open) is best to use with this plugin? I guess the answer will be "open" because they give that sense of "air" but I have only AKG 240S and cannot compare myself.
Basically the plugin shd work with all "decent" headphones, but the closer to perfect its characteristics the better the final result will be. For anything except the Distance emulation frequency response isn't critical (but again, the flatter the better), but good phase response is--so no innovative features like noise cancellation or Ultrasones please! I would definitely recommend open headphones over closed types because the enclosure can create all kinds of problems by itself, but don't worry about it too much as long as it's not a $20 model.

Personally I'm a fan of Beyerdynamic and particularly the DT880, but like I said any decent pair shd be more than fine.

-- dj!

Zsolt wrote:Could you check compatibility with Zynewave's Podium?
I definitely will, though (as another poster already replied) it is not very likely that a plugin could cause a BSOD. Then again it's computers we're talking about here so... I'll be back!

-- dj!

dj! (112dB) wrote:DT880
:shock:
£385
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
dj! (112dB) wrote:DT880
:shock:
£385
£185 at http://thomann.de (well okay, plus shipping to the UK) 8)

-- dj!

dj! (112dB) wrote:£185 at http://thomann.de (well okay, plus shipping to the UK) 8)
Wrong ones then.
I just found out there's three types:
http://www.dv247.com/search/0/0/Product ... g/DT880/1/

Mushy Mushy wrote:
dj! (112dB) wrote:£185 at http://thomann.de (well okay, plus shipping to the UK) 8)
Wrong ones then.
I didn't yet know about the headtracker version--cool.

-- dj!

dj! (112dB) wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Wrong ones then.
I didn't yet know about the headtracker version--cool.

-- dj!
:wink:
So out of the three in the list above which is the model you use (obviously not the headtracker version)? The cheaper or mid?

Okay, you've got me... the cheaper. :) That's my preferred model, besides I also have a pair of DT531 (also Beyerdynamic) and Sony HDR7506, and during testing used a DT990 and errr... (I've always been terrible at product numbers) some other make/brand that I can't seem to recall right now.

-- dj!

Thats what I wanted to hear.
Beyer and DV will soon have one more DT880 sale this week then 8)

dj! (112dB) wrote:
bmanic wrote:I just tried the demo and I'm pretty impressed! By far the most useful "makes headphones viable for mixing" tool I ever tried. Sure, it doesn't make your headphones sound like speakers, at all. The distance knob is pretty useless in my opinion and only smears the phase in a weird way.
A tad late reply, but the "phase" smearing is in fact an (admittedly very jagged) EQ curve that imitates the filtering effect of one's pinnae. You'll find that the effect diminishes a lot if you give your ears some time to adjust to it. But I knew in advance that some users would prefer no mucking about with frequency content (while for others it doesn't seem radical enough in its current incarnation--you really can't please everybody :)), which is why it can be disabled entirely.

-- dj!
That's the problem with HRTF data. It's a general approach and doesn't work for all "head shapes". The brain works in a way that it is used to it's own head shape and thus we all have a bit positioning of our nose, ears etc that causes the information of a general dummy head to sound completely wrong. I'm glad you added the option to turn the effect off. :)

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Freq. graph in manual measured with a central button set to zero, or?

Pule wrote:Freq. graph in manual measured with a central button set to zero, or?
With the Distance button set to 0 (so it grays out), yes. Distance was designed to add equalization to the signal so obviously the frequency response won't be very linear with it active. ;)

Take care,

-- dj!

Return to “Effects”