2C-Aether Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aether

Galbanum wrote:we are working on several really cool things at the moment.
Do you plan to "cool things" (pun intended) on the CPU end, for us with the ancient machines ?...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

+1
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Galbanum wrote:it's 1440*1056, so technically it does even fit on 1920*1080 depending on how tall the extra window your DAW puts on top of it... but ya I guess most are more than 24 pixels...

For reference B2 is 1920*960 so that fits perfectly full screen on such monitors...

idk, i can tell ya once you work with a big screen with a GUI that is physical/human scale, very quickly you start to wonder how people worked with tiny GUIs for decades, and I personally have a hypothesis that this is a large part of why people still think hardware is more fun... that and the tactile interactivity of course... I suppose if someone had a minority-report wall display for their plug-in GUIs no one would argue hardware is better anymore.... but I digress...

anyway, we hear you: Aether GUI something like 1280px wide, like the current KS GUI... got it.
It is so much easier to work with plugins at larger settings. The more plugins available at full screen sizes, the less I understand why some developers choose to make smaller interfaces, that look small even on low-resolutions screens. Its as if some have decided that a plugin should never be the same size of the DAW...

Ultimately, I love choices and options. I also love that you guys supported the HiDPI monitors early on, including warning us of the future 5K options, I think a year before they were available. :tu:

That minority report wall... One day, one day. I just hope its available before I die at an affordable price. At least we're sort of getting flying cars (well Dubai is).

Tp3 wrote:
Do you plan to "cool things" (pun intended) on the CPU end, for us with the ancient machines ?...
We always do our best to write efficient code. We have never simply thrown away CPU cycles for the fun of it. Aether 1.0x DSP (and everything we have done since then) was/is already coded in hand-written assembly for example. Our algs simply do very complex things, so if we do 1 million operations and another product does 1000, even if we are 100 times more efficient per operation, the more simple alg will require less CPU. But I doubt it will sound the same...

We are sort of high performance computing enthusiasts, and get excited about the latest and greatest in hardware and all the new things that can be done with it. In terms of designing our algs we prefer to focus on extreme sound-quality and novel features more than being the most simple, cheapest, or lightest on the CPU. Our Breeze product is the closest we come to that without making compromises to our quality standards, and there are lots of other reasonably good products in this segment of the market. In general we are more interested in "perfection" than "reasonably good" though, and pursuing that is what gets up in the morning, and keeps us working all night long, etc.

In summary, yes, we will try to make things even more efficient the next round we do in our verbs. we always do. But I don't expect a major miracle at the moment... particularly not on older machines, as in general we also tend to prioritize the latest CPUs more than "ancient ones" when we optimize, bc in general we have already tried everything we could for the ancient ones while they were still young. Good track name btw:

https://soundcloud.com/andrew_souter/wa ... s/wayfarer

:D Lots of Aether (and B2) on that actually...

But we'll see, maybe we will get lucky.

As a side note: it's an exciting time in CPU hardware again, in that AMD is once again reasonably competitive with intel in desktops and workstations too it seems, and CPU power should accelerate and price should come down more rapidly in the next few years than it has in the last 5-10. Exciting times. :tu:

elxsound wrote: Ultimately, I love choices and options. I also love that you guys supported the HiDPI monitors early on,
thanks! :tu:
elxsound wrote: including warning us of the future 5K options, I think a year before they were available. :tu:

That minority report wall... One day, one day. I just hope its available before I die at an affordable price. At least we're sort of getting flying cars (well Dubai is).

5K is old-school already. 8k is the new 5k. :D

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/140982 ... s-ces-2017
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11011/del ... e-in-march

8K is already enough for a "wall display" of at least 60"... putting 8k in 30" is kind dumb IMHO... it should be physically bigger to make use of all those pixels. Nontheless it is a F-ing 8k display and one can buy it this month... if one has a spare $5k. 5k for 8k, good marketing slogan (for people living in Elysium at least).

but I bet you a beer Apple does the same this year and it becomes $2k by January 2018 and drops from that... 30" Apple Cinema Display was that much a decade ago...

and here is a 64-core 128-thread server/workstation:

https://www.nextplatform.com/2017/03/08 ... els-xeons/

...which I will bet you another beer ends up less expensive than my maxed out 2013 Mac Pro cylinder...

Makes perfect sense... an 8K for $5K.

OK, here we go: Do you need ITB reverb that sounds like Bricasti M7?

Take Aether plugin, and my preset for Aether "Berliner Hall" in the attachment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFoU74f-tWA

Put this preset on the dry part of this demo above... :o
Adjust right %...
Here is how it sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/user-763827162/a ... l-bricasti
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tp3 wrote:

... we've been looking at this recently and we have made some promising developments actually... we may have some methods to reduce CPU usage significantly in our verbs. :tu: More info later...

Galbanum wrote:
Tp3 wrote:

... we've been looking at this recently and we have made some promising developments actually... we may have some methods to reduce CPU usage significantly in our verbs. :tu: More info later...

Hi Andrew.. :D

Well that is the main point I think. If you'll do miracle like Kaleidoscope CPU optimisation that would be
crucial for 2CA reverbs.

By the way there is one wish for Aether from me: Can you please add stereo Random Hall ER in to Aether.
I need it badly! :clap:

Cheers

New Classics folder for 2017...
As close as possible this time.
Just replace the old folder..

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/user-763827162/demo-aether-vox

Edit: Folder updated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Den* on Wed May 10, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Den* wrote:New Classics folder for 2017...
As close as possible this time.
Just replace the old folder..

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/user-763827162/demo-aether-vox
Thank´s for your work on this. Appreciated! :tu:

Den's patches always make me think of the BASF commercials

(We don't make a lot of the products you buy, we make a lot of the products you buy better)

thanks Den!

Cinebient wrote: Thank´s for your work on this. Appreciated! :tu:

You are welcome..

ontol wrote:Den's patches always make me think of the BASF commercials

(We don't make a lot of the products you buy, we make a lot of the products you buy better)

thanks Den!

You are welcome..

:phones:

Galbanum wrote:... we've been looking at this recently and we have made some promising developments actually... we may have some methods to reduce CPU usage significantly in our verbs. :tu: More info later...
Is there any update about this? Just can't wait. Reducing CPU is certainly going to make it even more useful and fun to play with.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc wrote:
Galbanum wrote:... we've been looking at this recently and we have made some promising developments actually... we may have some methods to reduce CPU usage significantly in our verbs. :tu: More info later...
Is there any update about this? Just can't wait. Reducing CPU is certainly going to make it even more useful and fun to play with.
Well we have some definitely impressive results internally. No ETA on anything public quite yet. Aether is likely the last of our verbs to get updated as well bc it has some other things we would like to improve/enhance. But we will see.

We have really crazy stuff mostly working for Kaleidoscope now too. And some completely new/unrelated stuff that we have been trying to finish as well. We haven't been sleeping... :wink:

Return to “Effects”