RELATED
PRODUCTS

Colonel Flashback wrote:isn't everyone born on 01.01.1911 and living in
sfhdsghdsfgh
fghdfghdfgh
23421 dfgdhfgd
Afghanistan

anyway? :D
Hang on a minute: THAT'S ME ! Shameless Identity Theft!

:hihi:

I need that information so I can send it to the AIVD. They need all the infromation they can get from people who live inside Afganistan. :)

The third beta is to the testers.

Also watch out for our new Dim D chorus....

Dim D chorus? :hyper:

I am noticing some metallicness in the beta that is not present in the UAD emulation. I can't seem to dial it out.

Is that ok to talk about that here? I'm the one that reported the au validation problem, but the vst is working just fine in studio one.

i really want this to end up matching the uad one. In native form. This is kind of a must have verb if you think about it, cause it gives you a flavor that is entirely different from lex, etc.

Is it different from the beta's you recieved before??

Harrie

In sound, no, it seems to be a problem on vocals which although a plate is technically metallic, the uad one doesn;t sound so. Hey, i don;t have the money for a real one, so i actually don;t kNOW if yours is more authentic or not!

Please send me a dry file and the verbed file. I can see if there is anything going wrong. I would not call the EMpTy 250 metallic. There are differences between an original 250, the UAD version (a bit more lush, less chorusdepth and more high frequency content) and the EMpTy 250 (a bit darker and a bit more raw sounding with percussion). I did try some differences to make it more smooth with percussion, but it had unwanted sideeffects on non-percussive instruments, so at this moment we are sticking to this sound.

At this moment we are working to get the different versions bugfree with the same sound. After the Dim D and other products I will reconsider some of the coding and go further with additional upgrades like the rest of the effects.

froombosch wrote:Please send me a dry file and the verbed file. I can see if there is anything going wrong. I would not call the EMpTy 250 metallic. There are differences between an original 250, the UAD version (a bit more lush, less chorusdepth and more high frequency content) and the EMpTy 250 (a bit darker and a bit more raw sounding with percussion). I did try some differences to make it more smooth with percussion, but it had unwanted sideeffects on non-percussive instruments, so at this moment we are sticking to this sound.

At this moment we are working to get the different versions bugfree with the same sound. After the Dim D and other products I will reconsider some of the coding and go further with additional upgrades like the rest of the effects.
Here are some examples I made up based on the audio clips on your site:

Acoustic Example 1

Empty Room: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13721946/EmptyRoomAcoustic1.wav

UAD: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13721946/UADAcoustic1.wav

Acoustic Example 2

Empty Room: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13721946/EmptyRoomAcoustic2.wav

UAD: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13721946/UADAcoustic2.wav

Cowbell Example 1

Empty Room: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13721946/EmptyRoomcowbell1.wav

UAD: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13721946/UADcowbell1.wav

Cowbell Example 2

Empty Room: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13721946/EmptyRoomcowbell2.wav

UAD: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13721946/UADcowbell2.wav

the cowbell actually felt to me, in ALL examples, like when someone is scratching their nails on a black board. So it's obvious not the emulation at fault at all, but perhaps i am not a plate 250 fan, even in the hardware form, which would make me in the vast minority worldwide.

I am VERY sensitive to metallic properties in reverb, more than most, perhaps it's my one sided deafness that is to blame, i don;t know, but i really feel it. I am going to see what i can do with some vocal examples.

Ok i am loving some aspects of this now. This sort of plate reverb, and I am by no means an expert, is very source dependant.. it's definitely not something that can be used on everything.

I just went through a bunch of sounds in studio one and it sounded STUNNING on modern synth sounds and bass.

I also find it quite easy to dial in a bit of nice ambience on some dry synth drums.

But i only had success on a certain mid range vocal, it seems very affected by certain high and low frequencies.. and once again it is quite grainy in the highs so I would not use it for someone wanting to do a dreamy cymbal crash for example. But like everything, it has it's uses.

I am a little disappointed still by the high mac cpu usage. It's about 25% higher than breeze (20% vs 15%) of a core, and almost on par with aether for no oversample mode. I hope to see further optimisations cause the rumor is the windows version is more efficient? is that true? A shame if so cause although this does happen on occasion with various plugins, usually the usage is very comparable on both platforms.

ttoz wrote:the cowbell actually felt to me, in ALL examples, like when someone is scratching their nails on a black board. So it's obvious not the emulation at fault at all, but perhaps i am not a plate 250 fan, even in the hardware form, which would make me in the vast minority worldwide.

I am VERY sensitive to metallic properties in reverb, more than most, perhaps it's my one sided deafness that is to blame, i don;t know, but i really feel it. I am going to see what i can do with some vocal examples.
I hear ya, cowbell can rough. What I find interesting in this example is how the stereo field seems so reversed on the cowbell examples. One places most of the energy in the right channel, the other in the left.

I also generally find the UAD version to sound a bit thicker overall, but it's close. I really like the EMT 250 though. I use it all the time now, and it's great for short verbs, and I even dig it on longer stuff. Something about the overall character of this I just love.

froombosch wrote:Please send me a dry file and the verbed file. I can see if there is anything going wrong. I would not call the EMpTy 250 metallic. There are differences between an original 250, the UAD version (a bit more lush, less chorusdepth and more high frequency content) and the EMpTy 250 (a bit darker and a bit more raw sounding with percussion).
UA claims that their 250 uses the original EMT 250 algo's. If so, what do you think accounts for the differences between the UAD version and an original? I only ask because of your obviously profound knowledge on the subject. Do you think UA changed the algo slightly? Or was there a hardware LFO that controlled the modulated delays that maybe UA hasn't nailed? While the 250 was an algorithmic reverb, how much of a part do think the hardware itself played in its sound?
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am agreeing with Funkybot's twin, overall, short verbs are this little gem's strengths and long verbs on certain sources.

ttoz wrote:I am a little disappointed still by the high mac cpu usage. It's about 25% higher than breeze (20% vs 15%) of a core, and almost on par with aether for no oversample mode. I hope to see further optimisations cause the rumor is the windows version is more efficient? is that true? A shame if so cause although this does happen on occasion with various plugins, usually the usage is very comparable on both platforms.
The windows version is more efficient. Partially because I am working from windows and am still learning a lot on the Mac platform. I have the feeling that it can be uptimized further, but I want to release it.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: UA claims that their 250 uses the original EMT 250 algo's. If so, what do you think accounts for the differences between the UAD version and an original? I only ask because of your obviously profound knowledge on the subject. Do you think UA changed the algo slightly? Or was there a hardware LFO that controlled the modulated delays that maybe UA hasn't nailed? While the 250 was an algorithmic reverb, how much of a part do think the hardware itself played in its sound?
UAD also had to port the original software to another DSP platform. Coding is different from the 70-ties. I can hear changes between the original and the UAD version like described and confirmed by others (our listening team). There is also the WARP 69 files that show it in this thread. The amount of high frequency content is probabbly different between all hardware units, because of the age of the electronic parts.

Return to “Effects”