Seven Phases Spectrum Analyzer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Spectrum Analyzer

Thanks!

[quote="Max M."]
(...) i'm working on the (relatively major) update (i don't expect it earlier than middle of the March though) where all those windows go upside down. [/quote]

Hi Max!!
not to harass you :D , but... any news about this little boy :love: ? thx !!

Yes this is a nice Spectrum Analyzer.

Can't wait to see the New version :love:

Mercado_Negro wrote:
Max M. wrote:Sure!

Well, I think I'm not alone in two of my ideas, this is one:
s_t wrote:Perhaps there could be a little frequency display when hovering mouse over the graph?
this is another one:
loopdon wrote: Maybe you could somehow make it show musical values (notes) in addition to hz values. Also hovering over a peak could show the note value.
and a 3rd idea is to add a psychoacoustical mode.

Happy new year 2010! Take care and be well :)
a big +1 for these.

how acurate is this compared to SPAN?

EDIT:ohh and any chance to make the .Dll available instead of a .exe??

It seems that there is problem with graphic handling in this plug-in. I tested it in Reaper and Audacity and it hangs them. But if I change screen resolution or color depth in standard Windows Display properties it starts working for a while. I have no such problems with any other plugins.

S-N-S
how acurate is this compared to SPAN?
Well, this is one of those questions i'm not in position to answer to. OK, let's assume i do know (though i'm not supposed to) how "accurate" the SPAN is. The trick is that although these plugins are both "spectrum analyzer"s, they use very different algorithms ("FFT-based" vs. "bandpass-filter-based"), and this renders them to have their own pros and cons (including those of accuracy). (I guess you can find more details about those elsewhere. Mm, you know... i'm afraid whatever i say in this context would sound like "hyping bla-bla-bla").
Besides it seems that the plugins are designed with very different work-flows/use-cases in mind - since among those several modes they offer, it's the only mode being less or more the same (hence comparable in terms of "accuracy").
Either way i think you can easily test the "accuracies" you're interested in on your own. (It's not a problem to have both plugins installed, is it?)
What i can say is that the sph.sa have no trade-offs that could make it less "accurate" than its algorithms allow it to be.
ohh and any chance to make the .Dll available instead of a .exe??
Hehe, if you'll convince me it is really important. By the moment the installer manages certain settings/presets required by the plugin. (It is possible to build them into the dll itself but i don't like the very idea of this - just a waste of time - again unless i will see it makes any sense).

ruslan.st
But if I change screen resolution or color depth in standard Windows Display properties it starts working for a while.
That's hot. Could you please reveal those display properties that make it to fail?

edit: misprints correction.
Last edited by Max M. on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

just in case: as you can see i have failed to keep my promises about next version availability date - shame on me - it happens. So to not repeat the same mistake - no promises this time - just a remark: "the development is not stopped".

Good to hear !
Very interesting Analyzer ... so far ...

Just read, Your using the "bandpass filter" approach.
Very nice !
I was always looking for an hardware independent analyzer,
using bandpass filters, as I don't have RME Hardware on all systems.

As a 'tilt' option was already requested, maybe You could
offer something similar to RME's Digicheck, here too.
AFAIR, they use something like a short delay ( 6 ms )
or short attack smoothing in the higher bands, to get a more
'hardware like' behavior ...
I.e.: a slightly falling curve from lower to higher frequencies

bye, Jan

Max M. wrote:
ruslan.st
But if I change screen resolution or color depth in standard Windows Display properties it starts working for a while.
That's hot. Could you please reveal those display properties that make it to fail?

edit: misprints correction.
Max M. Thank you for response.
There is one of scenarios which I can reproduce many times:
My usual screen resolution is 1440x900 and Color Depth = Highest (32 bit).
I start some host (Reaper or Audacity) and insert Spectrum Analyser into track.
When I press "Display..." button in plugin, host hangs, Analyzer frequency meters window does not appear. Then I go to Display Properties -> set Color Depth = Medium (16 bit) -> Apply -> OK and host become functional again and plugin starts working too. After that I can restore back Color Depth to Highest (32 bit) without any problems.

I will try to make video demonstrating how it happens later.

i dont like plugins were 2 windows open up!
make a lil button for the preferences in the analyzer! in the corners maybe!

is it normal that this crashes cubase at the first loading, before it starts workin after reopen it?

it also should remember my configuration after open it again

keep them updates comin :hihi:

_dada_ wrote: AFAIR, they use something like a short delay ( 6 ms )
or short attack smoothing in the higher bands, to get a more
'hardware like' behavior ...
I.e.: a slightly falling curve from lower to higher frequencies
Yeah, that comes first in my "wish list"
It's actually called "Rise Time" in the RME Digicheck options. I think it affects all bands, but higher frequencies dampen more due to their faster nature.
cheers

There is the video demonstrating hang up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3NmH5jh3E

ruslan.st
Thanks for the detailed info. I guess this will help.

Max M. wrote:ruslan.st
Thanks for the detailed info. I guess this will help.
I forgot to mention my PC config:

It is Intel Core2 Duo based laptop HP 6830s. VGA card is ATI Mobility Radeon 3430. OS - Windows XP SP3.

It would be very nice to fix this issue :)
I like your Analyser, it is really good and very useful except this small bug.

If you will need to test new builds for this bug or get additional info please feel free to contact me by email ruslan.st eta gmail.com

This is the best spectrum-analyzer out there, and I tried them all!

There is just one problem:
Its Display keeps disappearing behind everything else!
Before doing anything else, please add a 'always on top' function to the display!

I'm running it inside MiniHost, besides that crucial problem- it works great!

-----------------------------------------------------
I already wrote to SevenPhase with the request of:
  • -Adding the option of having a acceleration curve for attack (in opposition to linear).
    Which reacts as follow: Weak signals quickly draw a peak, as the volume gets louder, the peak just raises by relative smaller amounts.
    While already being clipped by the windows upper ceiling at about -10dB (customizable)- anything over that just makes the graphic (gradient) raise more, which looks the same as if the peak gets brighter.
    = This results in clearly separated readouts for quiet notes- as well as loud ones! For me this is the most effective way to identify invidual voices/instruments of a whole composition!
Please see this wonderful graphic to understand better:
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6862 ... lcurve.gif
(The green line represents the windows upper ceiling. Lower signals just mean more sensitivity to peak- and louder less)

But these are just additional request,
The only problem I really have is this: The window keeps disapearing behind other programs (Including my DAW and anything else) This little problem turns your awesome plugin virtually useless!
I like to run your plugin on top over everything through MiniHost, turns your plugin into a magnificent stand-alone program. This is a big problem-
Please add "Always on top" function to display!

ps. This is my custom skin and it looks very similar to winamp.
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1006 ... tomski.jpg

Otherwise thanks for that!
Please hear me.
Regards.
-BuddhaMaster
Last edited by BuddhaMaster on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
09, 05, 2007: Searching for my own voice...
10, 09, 2011: My voice lies somewhere at F# (least used musical key in musical history)
Maybe I'm just too infrequent

Return to “Effects”