Best "maximizer" VST??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aircargo wrote:Just out of curiosity, is it common practice to send a mix to someone to master that's already gone through a master channel limiter like any one the options mentioned above? Shouldn't the mastering engineer do this? I do this stuff myself because I don't have a mastering engineer but I'd assume I would want to disable all the plugs on my master channel if insert to send a mix off to a mastering engineer to give him the most flexibility.
No it's not common, or it is for people who don't know how things work, the so called noobs ;).

Like you said, it's up to the mastering guy to do this job and take care of the master.

In general, a thing that is common is to use a bus compressor on the master, to to take care of some peaks, around 1-2dB in general, and mostly to glue things together a little more, but that's just it. And that before going into mastering.

I know that it's not the question here, but just a reminder, that I can also use for me (:D), is that if you know how to "master" yourself, I mean you know what's the process and more importantly what's the goal of mastering, don't forget to make a break after you consider your mix done.

Usually after the mix is done, I just work on other things, and come back 1 or 2 days later to check if I'm still satisfied, and if I'm OK with what I've done, now I can start working on the mastering, to give it that final touch, with FRESH EARS !

Just my thoughts, IMHO :oops:.

for limiters i find Massey l2007 hands down on everything,precision limiter from UAD and then Elephant

I really should learn how to master my own stuff. Because I know I'm not going to pay someone to do it. But for now I just slap a precision eq, then a compressor, then a limiter on the end of my mixes.

I have a tutorial but the first few chapters were about building the perfect room, treating it to avoid reflections, etc and that involved more physics than I could do ;)

I've always been really impressed with the free TBT Maximizer and Voxengo Elephant.

I've got a few tracks I'm experimenting with at the moment and demoing Elephant and already have TLs-Maximiser. To my age'd ears they are very close, I do however hear more bottom end being delivered with elephant where Tl's seems to not displace as much low freq (not necessarily good or bad). However this is just playing with 2 settings Elephant Transient Full +3DB and TLs Full transient settings both defaulted in the master stereo out. Mainly using on audio recorded from vst's, samples and synths.

How do others find the 2 as one is £80 more and Voxengo have a 10%+ discount running at the moment?

Totolitoto wrote:Hello,

I need an easy solution to get my sound louder without being destructive.
(I say "easy" because a friend of mine will take care of the mastering later, but I want my pre-masterings to be louder)
What is for you the best "maximizer" VST? (payware or freeware)
Well, honestly, while they differ, the way they're used is more important than which one you use. A delicate hand can increase loudness without being destructive...up to a point. Beyond that, more loudness is destructive.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

I agree that putting a limiter on something before you send it to the mastering engineer is not the way to go. Like someone else said, maybe some gentle bus compression is appropriate. For that check out the Stillwell Bombardier compressor (do a forum search here and read what people have said).

When I hear the word "maximizer" I usually think of exciters like the BBE Sonic Maximizer and things like that instead of limiters. For that try the free Refined Audiometrics Laboratory CLAS.
http://refinedaudiometrics.com/products-clas.shtml
But that may be something better left to the mastering engineer.

psp xenon amazing plug try it love it also cheap!

MarlboroMan23 wrote:I agree that putting a limiter on something before you send it to the mastering engineer is not the way to go.
No actually, I would never do that :oops:
I was just looking for something to make my pre-listening louder, but when I'll consider my tracks finished I'll render them without any dynamic process on the master bus.

Totolitoto wrote:I was just looking for something to make my pre-listening louder
Volume knob is really great for that. :D

+1 for CLAS.
And it's free. Just send them an email and they will send it to you.

recently i went back to TLS maximizer, but i don't push it too hard.
if i need more pressure, i use 2 instances.

www.myspace.com/tombalcony

These are good too...

Sonnox Oxford Inflator
UAD Precision Maximizer

Dj Troy wrote:psp xenon amazing plug try it love it also cheap!
+1.
FL Studio 9. Propellerhead's Reason 4.0. D16's Drumazon. D16's Nepheton. Tube-Tech CL-1B. Roland JP-8000.

Return to “Effects”