MPC style note repeat plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i just got a MPD26 (with the MPC grooves & note repeat built in)

what it dose is sooooo useful,

for those that don't know what it dose i'll tell you,

it plays a repeated note set to a groove when pressing the pad, beats will only play on the snap of the note repeat,

so you can play live drums BANG on time with no worry's :D (even mistakes sound good)

the MPC also offsets all the midi notes so they don't land 100% the same with different notes that are played at the same time (this can be added in reaper after if needed so not that important)

so its like a gated (but not re-triggered) midi arp that plays a single repeated note to a groove, swing or Quantize & adds a slight random amount to each key,

is there anything close to this out there?

Ben
whats a sig?

Beno. wrote:i just got a MPD26 (with the MPC grooves & note repeat built in)

what it dose is sooooo useful,

for those that don't know what it dose i'll tell you,

it plays a repeated note set to a groove when pressing the pad, beats will only play on the snap of the note repeat,

so you can play live drums BANG on time with no worry's :D (even mistakes sound good)

the MPC also offsets all the midi notes so they don't land 100% the same with different notes that are played at the same time (this can be added in reaper after if needed so not that important)

so its like a gated (but not re-triggered) midi arp that plays a single repeated note to a groove, swing or Quantize & adds a slight random amount to each key,

is there anything close to this out there?

Ben

I use the MPD 32 with Battery (even though it is not an effect)...the MPD 32 has the note repeat function as well...but Battery has a configurable note repeat function that is so much better - to me - for drumming. Especially for flams, rolls, etc.

- KB
Citizen K Productions

"I ain't got time to bleed...!!!"

the arp in XT1.4 can do closest to what i'm after,

no swing though
whats a sig?

check here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ote+repeat

apparently the free arpocalypse plugin does what you want.

Just to bring a little closure to this thread (years later, lol), and for anyone WHO'S USING A KEYBOARD CONTROLLER that comes upon this thread looking for the note repeat function without having to use external hardware....

The best way to do note repeats without outboard hardware is to use Battery. I've always worked in-the-box, so I never really used any other hardware other than my keyboard midi controller, although I almost bought an MPC just specifically for this awesome little feature. Kontakt's note repeat script's timing sucks, as do all the midi arpeggiators available for the job. Penciling it in is pretty time consuming too and really slows down the creative process, as does the "fruity loop"-style step sequencer available in most programs if you ask me...

It's kind of time consuming to setup, but once you've made the template you can save it and it'll be well worth the one-time setup process. So anyway, to get started, in Battery 3 here's what I did:

1) Add (+) 5 rows horizontally and then add (+) 12 columns vertically. You should have rows A-E and columns 1-12 when completed.

2) Click on cell A1, then on the "Cell" tab on the bottom half of the interface look for the "learn" button under "key range". Press "learn" and then press the first (lowest) C key on your keyboard TWICE. Cell A1 is now assigned to the lowest C note.

3) Now go to the "Setup" tab and press/highlight the "Retrigger" button and set the timing to 1/2. Cell A1 is now set to repeat 2 notes for every bar (you could use 1/1 timing but that's kind of pointless since the repeat only happens if you hold the key down).

3) Next go to cell A2 and repeat the process over again, except now you're moving up one note on the keyboard (C#) when you press the "learn" button and you'll input the timing to 1/3 now (for those "triplet" repeats) under the "retrigger" button. You'll then repeat this process again and again, climbing one note up the keyboard each time, as well as changing the "retrigger" timing so that it gets faster and faster with each higher note. Repeat this until you get to the 12th cell in that particular row. Then duplicate the process for rows B through E.

To give you an idea of how my template is, I have my cells programmed as:
A1----C1-------1/2
A2----C#1-----1/3
A3----D1-------1/4
A4----D#1-----1/6
A5----E1-------1/8
A6----F1-------1/12
A7----F#1-----1/16
A8----G1-------1/24
A9----G#1-----1/32
A10---A1------1/48
A11---A#1-----1/64
A12---I don't usually use it, but you could assign another timing here too if you wanted.

For a 61-key midi controller, this gives you rolls/repeats for 5 sounds (one per rows A through E). I use the A row for my kick, B row for my snare, C row for my claps, D row for my hihats, and E for my short cymbals. You can drop in whatever sounds you like after the template is complete, but FIRST SAVE THE COMPLETED TEMPLATE WITHOUT ANY SOUNDS (under "file", not "preset"!) as a file on your hard drive, desktop, cloud, email, smartphone, and even send one to your mama so she can bail you out if & when you ever lose it! This is crucial. You don't want to spend all that time making the template just to lose it later on down the line if/when you reformat/crash =)

Note: if you have an 88-key midi controller, you could have 7 rows/sounds if you wanted to, just add 2 more rows (F & G). Then just repeat the original process for the additional rows.

Now.... You can finally go to the "Browser" tab and start auditioning your samples and dropping them into the cells as you so desire. For example, I usually find a kick I like and then I'll drop it into A1 and then just copy and paste it over the other eleven cells in A row. I do the same for each other sound/row. I've made/saved so many 808 style trap kits with this template it's ridiculous. I have a friend who used to use his MPC to do rolls/repeats and now he even uses this method. The timing is super precise, so you can usually get it down on the first take and move on. This makes the creative workflow super fast when you need to come up with a quick drum pattern on-the-fly. One of the best parts of all of this is you can quantize everything altogther under 1/16th timing, even though you have multiple different timings going on in all the different sounds. You can have hihats fluidly moving from 1/64th to 1/32nd to 16th triplets and still quantize everything as 1/16th (because each key has its own unique note-repeat timing parameter). If you like using double-tempo speed when you record (for example 160bpm instead of 80) just quantize to 1/8th....... All in all, this method is gonna save you so much programming time.

Note: Battery doesn't have 1/128 timing for their "retrigger" function so you might want to double the tempo when recording if you like those ridiculously hyper fast metallic-sounding rolls like they use in trap/edm music.

I'm sure you'll love this once you get it all setup. Make a bunch of kits and SAVE THEM too, for later use. You can always replace individual sounds on the fly too, to have slight variations of the same kit. Battery also has a lot of other even deeper timing features under the "Articulation" button so you can get even more creative with the swing/roll/flam, if you like. You can also assign the pitch to get those snares and hihats to come alive and start moving around, ascending and descending. Really though, Battery has so many other features that you can do that I can't even begin to explain it here.... Just start exploring with it. Read the manual and check out YouTube tutorials.

Majellan wrote:Just to bring a little closure to this thread (years later, lol), and for anyone WHO'S USING A KEYBOARD CONTROLLER that comes upon this thread looking for the note repeat function without having to use external hardware....

The best way to do note repeats without outboard hardware is to use Battery. I've always worked in-the-box, so I never really used any other hardware other than my keyboard midi controller, although I almost bought an MPC just specifically for this awesome little feature. Kontakt's note repeat script's timing sucks, as do all the midi arpeggiators available for the job. Penciling it in is pretty time consuming too and really slows down the creative process, as does the "fruity loop"-style step sequencer available in most programs if you ask me...

It's kind of time consuming to setup, but once you've made the template you can save it and it'll be well worth the one-time setup process. So anyway, to get started, in Battery 3 here's what I did:

1) Add (+) 5 rows horizontally and then add (+) 12 columns vertically. You should have rows A-E and columns 1-12 when completed.

2) Click on cell A1, then on the "Cell" tab on the bottom half of the interface look for the "learn" button under "key range". Press "learn" and then press the first (lowest) C key on your keyboard TWICE. Cell A1 is now assigned to the lowest C note.

3) Now go to the "Setup" tab and press/highlight the "Retrigger" button and set the timing to 1/2. Cell A1 is now set to repeat 2 notes for every bar (you could use 1/1 timing but that's kind of pointless since the repeat only happens if you hold the key down).

3) Next go to cell A2 and repeat the process over again, except now you're moving up one note on the keyboard (C#) when you press the "learn" button and you'll input the timing to 1/3 now (for those "triplet" repeats) under the "retrigger" button. You'll then repeat this process again and again, climbing one note up the keyboard each time, as well as changing the "retrigger" timing so that it gets faster and faster with each higher note. Repeat this until you get to the 12th cell in that particular row. Then duplicate the process for rows B through E.

To give you an idea of how my template is, I have my cells programmed as:
A1----C1-------1/2
A2----C#1-----1/3
A3----D1-------1/4
A4----D#1-----1/6
A5----E1-------1/8
A6----F1-------1/12
A7----F#1-----1/16
A8----G1-------1/24
A9----G#1-----1/32
A10---A1------1/48
A11---A#1-----1/64
A12---I don't usually use it, but you could assign another timing here too if you wanted.

For a 61-key midi controller, this gives you rolls/repeats for 5 sounds (one per rows A through E). I use the A row for my kick, B row for my snare, C row for my claps, D row for my hihats, and E for my short cymbals. You can drop in whatever sounds you like after the template is complete, but FIRST SAVE THE COMPLETED TEMPLATE WITHOUT ANY SOUNDS (under "file", not "preset"!) as a file on your hard drive, desktop, cloud, email, smartphone, and even send one to your mama so she can bail you out if & when you ever lose it! This is crucial. You don't want to spend all that time making the template just to lose it later on down the line if/when you reformat/crash =)

Note: if you have an 88-key midi controller, you could have 7 rows/sounds if you wanted to, just add 2 more rows (F & G). Then just repeat the original process for the additional rows.

Now.... You can finally go to the "Browser" tab and start auditioning your samples and dropping them into the cells as you so desire. For example, I usually find a kick I like and then I'll drop it into A1 and then just copy and paste it over the other eleven cells in A row. I do the same for each other sound/row. I've made/saved so many 808 style trap kits with this template it's ridiculous. I have a friend who used to use his MPC to do rolls/repeats and now he even uses this method. The timing is super precise, so you can usually get it down on the first take and move on. This makes the creative workflow super fast when you need to come up with a quick drum pattern on-the-fly. One of the best parts of all of this is you can quantize everything altogther under 1/16th timing, even though you have multiple different timings going on in all the different sounds. You can have hihats fluidly moving from 1/64th to 1/32nd to 16th triplets and still quantize everything as 1/16th (because each key has its own unique note-repeat timing parameter). If you like using double-tempo speed when you record (for example 160bpm instead of 80) just quantize to 1/8th....... All in all, this method is gonna save you so much programming time.

Note: Battery doesn't have 1/128 timing for their "retrigger" function so you might want to double the tempo when recording if you like those ridiculously hyper fast metallic-sounding rolls like they use in trap/edm music.

I'm sure you'll love this once you get it all setup. Make a bunch of kits and SAVE THEM too, for later use. You can always replace individual sounds on the fly too, to have slight variations of the same kit. Battery also has a lot of other even deeper timing features under the "Articulation" button so you can get even more creative with the swing/roll/flam, if you like. You can also assign the pitch to get those snares and hihats to come alive and start moving around, ascending and descending. Really though, Battery has so many other features that you can do that I can't even begin to explain it here.... Just start exploring with it. Read the manual and check out YouTube tutorials.
It's possible that I'm missing something about what you are doing, but..what I do is use rex loops. Just cut a loop of anything you tap in and record and then place it in something like the free UVI player. It's limited to the same loop just shifted per key on the whole board, with different tempos assignable per key...but any sampler will let you assign different parts per key(that takes rex). Not to even mention Stylus RMX. I just say that because I have had Battery forever and I took it off my system forever ago. I just have samples I like now and tap them in and map them or use premade loops and mix things together.

I can't really say because I'm not too familiar with what you're talking about, but to relate it to another product I know about, like Kontakt, I think you're talking about getting one sample and mapping it across all the keys and doing different tempos per key? If that's what you mean, then no, not necessarily....

This method is different because you're using the "retrigger" function in Battery which keeps it locked to your host DAW tempo but makes each individual key repeat to a quantized fraction of the set tempo when you hold that key down. It makes it super easy to make complex drum patterns with only your two hands, and without having to actually play any faster than a 16th note (because trying to play 32nd, 64th, and triplets all at the same time with two hands is virtually impossible unless you're someone like Aarab Musik). It allows you to jog through complex drum ideas at a super fast pace, just to get immediate ideas flowing. To me, it really beats even what an MPC can do...

Live's drum racks with a Push or a Launchpad is the best implementation of note repeat I've seen...

@Majellan if you knew how stupidly simple and powerful it is, you'd kick yourself for writing that book above :D

Majellan wrote:I can't really say because I'm not too familiar with what you're talking about, but to relate it to another product I know about, like Kontakt, I think you're talking about getting one sample and mapping it across all the keys and doing different tempos per key? If that's what you mean, then no, not necessarily....

This method is different because you're using the "retrigger" function in Battery which keeps it locked to your host DAW tempo but makes each individual key repeat to a quantized fraction of the set tempo when you hold that key down. It makes it super easy to make complex drum patterns with only your two hands, and without having to actually play any faster than a 16th note (because trying to play 32nd, 64th, and triplets all at the same time with two hands is virtually impossible unless you're someone like Aarab Musik). It allows you to jog through complex drum ideas at a super fast pace, just to get immediate ideas flowing. To me, it really beats even what an MPC can do...
OH ok..makes sense. I don't tend to think in terms each note and it's relation to my master time signature, so that's just different for me to think about.

acYm wrote:Live's drum racks with a Push or a Launchpad is the best implementation of note repeat I've seen...

@Majellan if you knew how stupidly simple and powerful it is, you'd kick yourself for writing that book above :D
I owned a launchpad before and I kinda liked it but I wasn't putting it to good use at the time. I'm actually thinking of buying another one again just to use with this battery template.

I was just offering the cheapest and easiest possible solution to this problem because I see people all over the internet looking for the same feature in software and there really isn't any good ones for cheap.

The benefits of using Battery is because it's inexpensive, you don't have to buy and learn a new DAW like Ableton Live or others, you don't have to buy any hardware like Push or Launchpad, and you can take the template to any studio or friend's house that has Battery installed (which most do) and start using it there with just a midi keyboard.

Launchpad and Push are the perfect companion to this setup, no doubt. But again, you'd be spending more money and you'd have to take it with you if you wanted to work like that in another studio (if they don't already have one).

In Battery 4 I don't see the "Repeat" function. Closest thing seems to be MIDI Echo. Can this be done in Battery 4?

Or just use a note repeat plugin, far simpler
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”