Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
Total Studio 2 MAX - Download it now at special intro pricing

Total Studio 2 MAX - Download it now at special intro pricing

Max Your Studio and cover ALL your music production needs

94 products, 16,800 sounds, 39 high-end mixing/mastering processors and over 350 gear models for guitar and bass so you can meet the demands of today's most challenging music productions.

Read more at www.ikmultimedia.com
maxxxter
 

Postby maxxxter; Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:57 am

DELETED
User avatar
SuperFly76
KVRAF
 
1852 posts since 21 Sep, 2004, from Musician, Recording Engineer, Producer

Postby SuperFly76; Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:41 am

Been using it for several months now. This thing really has a special vibe to it. One of my favorite comps now!
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC
Image
vladg
KVRist
 
177 posts since 15 Jul, 2009, from Russia

Postby vladg; Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:44 pm

maxxxter wrote:Is there a way to switch of the noisefloor?


You can set "dithering" to "low" in extended parameters (see the manual for details). Also I have plans to add "dithering off" option in next release.
s_t
KVRist
 
243 posts since 24 Dec, 2004

Postby s_t; Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:13 am

Greetings vladg

I'm still using an early version of molot. There seems to be some extra punch within it compared to to the latest version. I wonder if you could give a brief description how the attack envelope has changed? It could be something more than just simple timing differences as I'm not able to get them null out each other. I was just trying to see if and how I can get exactly same sound with each version.
cheers
vladg
KVRist
 
177 posts since 15 Jul, 2009, from Russia

Postby vladg; Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:29 pm

s_t wrote:Greetings vladg

I'm still using an early version of molot. There seems to be some extra punch within it compared to to the latest version. I wonder if you could give a brief description how the attack envelope has changed?


For attack/release envelopes from 0.2.155 to 0.2.168 Butterworth filter was replaced by Bessel one. It is not so early version and I don't think it's your difference.

Also in 0.2.130 (and only in this version) in RC and diode circuit simulation (for attack/release follower) some kind of signal leak was added. In release state small part of signal passes back through diode and attack circuit. I added it to shorter release time when gain reduction level is small. But it had unexpected side effect of negative compression ratio in some modes. See also bottom of this page: http://wp.me/p1hU3x-2j

No more changes related to envelopes were done.

BTW, what is you "early" version? (see the top left corner of the window)
s_t
KVRist
 
243 posts since 24 Dec, 2004

Postby s_t; Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:23 pm

vladg wrote:BTW, what is you "early" version? (see the top left corner of the window)


It's the 0.2.155 I'm using. So if I understood correctly, It's only the butterworth filter that have been replaced since that version? Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers
vladg
KVRist
 
177 posts since 15 Jul, 2009, from Russia

Postby vladg; Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:49 am

s_t wrote:
vladg wrote:BTW, what is you "early" version? (see the top left corner of the window)


It's the 0.2.155 I'm using. So if I understood correctly, It's only the butterworth filter that have been replaced since that version? Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers


Yes, you understood right. All changes that can affect sound between 155 and the latest version were:
* new dithering (I changed it after reading "Mastering audio: art & science" by Bob Katz);
* fixes for frequency response in oversampling mode (recalculated with higher precision to be more linear);
* and Bessel filter (as I wrote).

Do you think it is useful to add the switch for filter type in new release? Also I prefer sound in new version because it is more "edgy".
loopdon
KVRian
 
1127 posts since 3 Aug, 2004

Postby loopdon; Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:59 am

vladg wrote:
s_t wrote:
vladg wrote:BTW, what is you "early" version? (see the top left corner of the window)


It's the 0.2.155 I'm using. So if I understood correctly, It's only the butterworth filter that have been replaced since that version? Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers


Yes, you understood right. All changes that can affect sound between 155 and the latest version were:
* new dithering (I changed it after reading "Mastering audio: art & science" by Bob Katz);
* fixes for frequency response in oversampling mode (recalculated with higher precision to be more linear);
* and Bessel filter (as I wrote).

Do you think it is useful to add the switch for filter type in new release? Also I prefer sound in new version because it is more "edgy".


I say: add it! And see if people respond well to it.
no sig
s_t
KVRist
 
243 posts since 24 Dec, 2004

Postby s_t; Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:47 am

vladg wrote:Do you think it is useful to add the switch for filter type in new release? Also I prefer sound in new version because it is more "edgy".


I would love to be able to switch between the old and new filter/envelope mode. Thank you very much.
scalawag
KVRian
 
508 posts since 3 May, 2004

Postby scalawag; Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:21 pm

s_t wrote:
vladg wrote:Do you think it is useful to add the switch for filter type in new release? Also I prefer sound in new version because it is more "edgy".


I would love to be able to switch between the old and new filter/envelope mode. Thank you very much.

+1 !!!
vladg
KVRist
 
177 posts since 15 Jul, 2009, from Russia

Postby vladg; Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:06 pm

s_t wrote:
vladg wrote:Do you think it is useful to add the switch for filter type in new release? Also I prefer sound in new version because it is more "edgy".


I would love to be able to switch between the old and new filter/envelope mode. Thank you very much.


Okay! Added to my TODO list for the next release. I think I can do it in the second half of january.
grymmjack
KVRAF
 
8901 posts since 6 Apr, 2003

Postby grymmjack; Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:16 pm

what a cool looking interface. will have to give this a shot. thanks for your efforts.
vladg
KVRist
 
177 posts since 15 Jul, 2009, from Russia

Postby vladg; Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:27 pm

vladg wrote:Okay! Added to my TODO list for the next release. I think I can do it in the second half of january.


BUT... I have a doubt is this sound change really related only with filter change?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18475891/molot- ... ilters.zip

This archive contains GUIless latest windows' 32 & 64 bits versions of Molot with new envelope filter and with filter from 0.2.155. This is the only difference between them.

Can anybody confirm that version from "old_filter" directory sounds more punchier than from "new_filter"? (I seems caught a cold and don't trust my ears today :-))
s_t
KVRist
 
243 posts since 24 Dec, 2004

Postby s_t; Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks for the files vladg,

Yes, there is perceivable difference for benefit of the old filter version in terms of punchiness. The attack part seems to be fatter and more closer to the listener. You can actually see the difference with a peak meter, too. The old filter version sounds quite identical to 0.2.155 as far as I can tell.
cheers
vladg
KVRist
 
177 posts since 15 Jul, 2009, from Russia

Postby vladg; Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:36 am

Molot 0.3 is out

http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

What's new? In short:

1. External stereo sidechaining support (inputs 3 and 4).
2. Additional linear phase oversampling support (latency 344 samples).

In long:

- VU-meter calibrated for -18 dBFS, 300 ms.
- By clicking on triangle in the bottom left corner now all parameter values
are shown. To increase value use the right mouse button. To decrease value
use the left mouse button.
- Automatic "Oversampling" parameter correction in presets when the project
uses high sample rates (the value goes proportionally smaller).
- Choosen language now saving.
- Ability to save current settings as "Default" preset parameters by button
"Save as Default".
* New parameters:
. "Sd.chain" - sidechain commutation:
. "Internal" - use inputs 1 and 2 (as usual)
. "External" - use external stereo sidechain (inputs 3 and 4)
. "A, R Time" - attack and release times multiplier:
. "1:1″ - use times specified (as usual)
. "1/10,1:1″ - attack time 10 times smaller
. "1:1,1/10″ - release time 10 times smaller
. "1/10″ - both attack time and release time 10 times smaller
. "Upsampl." - oversampling type selection
. "Easy" - use simplified oversampling (as usual)
. "Norm." - use linear-phase oversampling (latency 344 samples)
- Attack/release curves were reverted back to 0.2.155 version (see the post above)

NOTE: The plugin uses the same PLUGIN-ID as 0.2.168. You can safely update
old binary with this version.

Thanks to:

Dax Liniere http://www.puzzlefactory.com.au/
Fabien http://www.tokyodawn.net/

PS. Yes, I know this GUI for extended parameters doesn't look so good. It will be changed to more usable one in the next release.
Last edited by vladg on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects