Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

black/grey is always good as default as it matches with almost anything :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:black/grey is always good as default as it matches with almost anything :)
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy-cytomic wrote:
Nielzie wrote:
pheeleep wrote: Not too crazy about that greenish/brown color though..
I agree about the greenish/brown. It doesn't match well with the other colors on the GUI imo.
It's a bit difficult in a mockup to match colourized things properly. As I have said quite a few times, this isn't the final colour, only a mockup. The final colour will match the other colours on the gui perfectly as the colour will be set in code, not me roughly matching things using some colourize faders in a paint package. The original colour of the bitmap was pale blue, which is the default plot colour of the maths package.
I'm just really not loving the yellow in general. Cooler colors are less grating and easier on the eyes for extended use What about shifting all of the yellow GUI elements to more of a pure green, like an oscilloscope?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: I'm just really not loving the yellow in general. Cooler colors are less grating and easier on the eyes for extended use What about shifting all of the yellow GUI elements to more of a pure green, like an oscilloscope?
I want to stick to a two colour scheme since otherwise things start looking a bit rainbow, which is not ideal for plugin. The yellow is from the Cytomic logo and icon and the only other colour is blue which I think works well for the power buttons and modulation depths. I'll try out the central screen in blue and see how it looks, a pale bluish colour is what some old oscilloscopes use as well eg:

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone, the gui is in much better shape for it!

andy-cytomic wrote:I think, apart from a more spacious layout, that part of the reason for people liking the old layout is that it had ring marks and labels on all the knobs. Because I needed to fit more in it is not possible to fit labels on all the knobs, and I removed the ring marks to keep things less busy looking, but that also makes it look less like actual hardware. So what do people prefer?

Ring marks only on most important knobs--
Full resolution: http://www.cytomic.com/files/drop-vis-mockup2.jpg

Or ring marks on all knobs--
Full resolution: http://www.cytomic.com/files/drop-vis-mockup3.jpg
I'd say the one with ring marks on all knobs. That looks good.
And the yellow also looks fine. I think people who see it as green should calibrate their monitor. :clown:

The latest mockups definitely going the right direction. :tu:

How about adding a photoshop style hue slider pop-up option for the colors? It would change all the yellow colors to what a user prefer. Maybe also a color saturation slider.. Then nobody could whine about the colors.. :)

Also: How about adding a bit of mild spotlight? I like for instance how Waves´ graphic designers have done some of their GUI ambience/spotlight.

andy-cytomic wrote:Thanks for all the great feedback everyone, the gui is in much better shape for it!
I don't like the black background behind the mod source selectors and the central mod knobs (esp. at the bottom of each knob). Maybe remove the black altogether, or make the non-active triangles black?

Also, are the knobs in the top strip casting a shadow? Is that necessary?

Am I the only one who doesn't like grey knobs against grey background? Lite grey against lite grey and dark grey against dark grey, hm :scared: ?

The dirty yellow in the menu bar and the graph does not sit well with the bright blue.

The graph should be the same colour as the active yellow buttons, as it's active .

How many shades of yellow are in there, anyway?

IMHO, please feel free to ignore.

andy-cytomic wrote: Or ring marks on all knobs--
Full resolution: http://www.cytomic.com/files/drop-vis-mockup3.jpg
THIS!

Coming along nicely!

This one looks a lot better imho, the ring marks really help. Though it's still a bit cramped. For example the caption for "Pre", "Post", "Shift", etc. is too close to the corresponding button (Although there seems to be enough space below). All the knobs and buttons in the lower section (lfo settings and such) have less space between them than they had in the beta. Have you received complaints that the gui is too big?

Love the current state of the GUI. It looks like this thread has gotten to the point of nitpicking, however :clap: :hihi:

Is there a date for the official release?
You are currently reading my signature.

I like mockup 4; the GUI is coming along nicely.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Is it just me or is this thread on eggshells?
renderful wrote:Love the current state of the GUI. It looks like this thread has gotten to the point of nitpicking, however :clap: :hihi:
This thread is three years old.
I would expect that a vst three years in the making would go through a lot of nitpicking.

It appears that major gui changes have been kicked up in just the last few weeks?
I see no reason to rush or compromise in the last month of development after three years. :shrug:

The new gui is not as tight and clean as the beta, imo.
Yes, it might be more functional, but again, no reason to rush or compromise after three years.
ImageImageImageImage

Chiming in to agree with others that the ring marks definitely help to gel the interface. Nice to have those anyway for quick adjustments and comparisons. Good work so far!

Return to “Effects”