Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

xiphiuz wrote: So cool to hear! Best update for us as the drop customers and the best feature (imho) of the 9.5 update of Ableton! Is there any sight on an ETA for this new version of the drop?
Not too much longer, hopefully only another week or two at max, I need to fix a couple more little bugs and add an "HD" button to the GUI for the low pass and high pass to keep the circuit menus clean.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy-cytomic wrote: Not too much longer, hopefully only another week or two at max, I need to fix a couple more little bugs and add an "HD" button to the GUI for the low pass and high pass to keep the circuit menus clean.
Thank you for you answer. I am really looking forward to this awesome new additions and refinements! :tu:

andy-cytomic wrote:I've also implemented a new "Transposed SVF" (still to be named) which is a similar circuit to that used in the ARP Odyssey. These will be released in a free update soon.
Btw Andy: is this somehow based on the algorithm of EQ8 of Ableton?

xiphiuz wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:I've also implemented a new "Transposed SVF" (still to be named) which is a similar circuit to that used in the ARP Odyssey. These will be released in a free update soon.
No. The EQ8 is a normal SVF which has multiple outputs of Low, Band and High, this transposed SVF has multiple inputs of Low, Band and High - so you can high pass and low pass two completely different signals at the same time and have them added at the output. Any non-linearities caused by resonance and the input signals will all interact in complicated ways.

I've named the transposed SVF "AMU" after Osamu Hoshuyama who designed the circuit. The A at the start can hint at it being similar to the ARP 4023 Odyssey filter.

andy-cytomic wrote:
xiphiuz wrote:
No. The EQ8 is a normal SVF which has multiple outputs of Low, Band and High, this transposed SVF has multiple inputs of Low, Band and High - so you can high pass and low pass two completely different signals at the same time and have them added at the output. Any non-linearities caused by resonance and the input signals will all interact in complicated ways.

I've named the transposed SVF "AMU" after Osamu Hoshuyama who designed the circuit. The A at the start can hint at it being similar to the ARP 4023 Odyssey filter.
Great name! The more you reveal the more I get excited about this new addition! :hyper: :tu:

I hope one day it gets a TB 303 Oscillator or one that can rival any purpose built bass synth I always want more bass. I like using The Drop with other soft synths anyway to great effect. Some of my Synths that sound a bit too digital and lacking bass really become analogish and meaty when run through The Drop. :party:
Last edited by Jax Pok on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Andy,

You probably thought of this, but is it an option to implement the following?

Toggle FWD/BWD:
------------------------
1. Use LMB on a button to go forward (downwards) in the list of options.
2. Use LMB + CTRL/CMD on a button to move backwards (upwards) in the list of options.

So for example you can easily switch between LFO2.BEAT2 and LFO2.BEAT3 like this instead of going through the menu:
Go from BEAT2 to BEAT3 with option 1.
Go from BEAT3 to BEAT2 with option 2.

For enums where they are displayed in a list above the button you can click directly on the option you want and it jumps to that one :tu:

andy-cytomic wrote:For enums where they are displayed in a list above the button you can click directly on the option you want and it jumps to that one :tu:
Thanks for your quick reply Andy :tu: You can forget about my FR.

Any news on that update?

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

etherdesign wrote:Any news on that update?
The update is going great, but still a little longer till it's ready as there is lots of new stuff in there. I've added SSE optimisations to the oversampling engine and made it slightly higher quality with the cpu saved. There are is now an HD button to switch between MD and HD so the filter circuit menu now just has names, so it's easier to see which is which. I've added 4 new circuit models, 3 efficient versions called SVF, SKF, and TSF, and the new AMU full transposed SVF model. The warmup code is now more efficient and more accurate so the "thump" is now below -120 dBFS in absolute value. Every non-linearity is now using an updated SSE optimisations that compute it more efficiently and requires fewer iterations for the HD versions. There is a new CPU meter for each filter, and also few bug fixes and user interface enhancements.

andy-cytomic wrote:
etherdesign wrote:Any news on that update?
The update is going great, but still a little longer till it's ready as there is lots of new stuff in there. I've added SSE optimisations to the oversampling engine and made it slightly higher quality with the cpu saved. There are is now an HD button to switch between MD and HD so the filter circuit menu now just has names, so it's easier to see which is which. I've added 4 new circuit models, 3 efficient versions called SVF, SKF, and TSF, and the new AMU full transposed SVF model. The warmup code is now more efficient and more accurate so the "thump" is now below -120 dBFS in absolute value. Every non-linearity is now using an updated SSE optimisations that compute it more efficiently and requires fewer iterations for the HD versions. There is a new CPU meter for each filter, and also few bug fixes and user interface enhancements.
Oh. Wow. That sounds great! Haven't tuned into this thread for a while, so this is a nice surprise. The best gets even better... oh, I pity da competition!

Hi Andy,

Can we have a splendid xmas this year? :hihi:

Hi Andy, I've been having a lot of fun sending MIDI from the M4L Step sequencer to The Drop to trigger the envelopes. However, if I want to modulate the cut off frequency with MIDI note velocity, I have to send it via Silent Way to the FM control. It still works great and seems to be really tight, but it'd be neater if The Drop could handle MIDI velocity directly. I could then have everything self contained in one track.

Cheers for a spectacular plug in!
Regards, Peter

xiphiuz wrote:Hi Andy,

Can we have a splendid xmas this year? :hihi:
I hope so! I had two weeks break because of family commitments, but I'm back finishing off the latest update for The Drop, which has a bunch of new filter models and other enhancements and fixes.

Return to “Effects”