Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

yeah "Boost" or "Hi Res"...?

i don't mind how you implement it, as long as i don't get any nasty surprises loading projects :P

Wasp filter YESTERDAY please :D

andy-cytomic wrote:What do you guys think?
Could you do radio buttons so only one option can be selected at a time?

[*] Normal
[ ] Safe
[ ] Boost

Frantz wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:What do you guys think?
Could you do radio buttons so only one option can be selected at a time?

[*] Normal
[ ] Safe
[ ] Boost
I don't like having a disconnect between plugin parameters (boost and safe two parameters with on/off values) and the user interface (having a single enum type selector). I could have two buttons and if you click on the boost button it automatically unselects the safe button for you, and vice versa. This would make more sense on the user interface, but perhaps cause issues when people map the controls out to a hardware surface with buttons, so it may cause more confusion in the long run. I hope that most of the time people will just leave these options on one or the other.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Most users are not going to guess that Boost overrides Safe with two buttons selected. They will think they are getting a "Safe Boost." So my suggestion is to settle on a UI that eliminates this confusion.

Frantz wrote:Most users are not going to guess that Boost overrides Safe with two buttons selected. They will think they are getting a "Safe Boost." So my suggestion is to settle on a UI that eliminates this confusion.
How about if pressing an inactive button it makes that mode active (and de-actives the other if it was active), and pressing an active button it switches you back to normal? If you only ever map out one button to a control surface you will get exactly what you expect. If may lead to interesting things happening if both buttons are mapped, I'll give it a go and see what happens...

You could make it clear that "Boost" has no effect when "Safe" is engaged by grey-ing out the button in the UI.

Would it be technically possible to use a continuous knob instead, changing the resonance range from "Safe" to "Boost" (i.e. some kind of multiplier for the resonance knob)?

andy-cytomic wrote: How about if pressing an inactive button it makes that mode active (and de-actives the other if it was active), and pressing an active button it switches you back to normal?
That should be fine for the UI. I don't know much about control surface behavior.

drakmaniso wrote:You could make it clear that "Boost" has no effect when "Safe" is engaged by grey-ing out the button in the UI.

Would it be technically possible to use a continuous knob instead, changing the resonance range from "Safe" to "Boost" (i.e. some kind of multiplier for the resonance knob)?
A knob for the boost amount sounds like a very good idea, that way it doesn't interfere or confuse with the "safe" button at all, and for different filters you may want different maximum boost amounts so then you are free to move the main resonance knob and modulation of the resonance and cap the maximum resonance wherever you want - awesome idea, and much neater than the mess of two buttons, thanks very much! I can make it a little trim pot type control to not clutter the main interface too much :)

I could actually make the 125% text on the resonance knobs into a control, LP/HP MaxRes 125% - 200%, so as you drag the text changes - perhaps combine this with the picture of a little trim pot turning as well, I like it!

andy-cytomic wrote:I could actually make the 125% text on the resonance knobs into a control, LP/HP MaxRes 125% - 200%, so as you drag the text changes - perhaps combine this with the picture of a little trim pot turning as well, I like it!
I very much like the idea of a variable resonance boost done this way. Presumably the graphical position of that max resonance number would remain fixed on the resonance knob, making the scaling variable across that 100%-to-max range, and coarser than the 0-100% range for any max value above 125%. Would you keep the current resonance value static (and update the knob position accordingly) when changing max resonance, or would you allow changes in max resonance to update current resonance value according to fixed knob position given the new scaling?
Last edited by btw on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Working with a 100-200% range in that small (60 degree) arc of the knob's rotation could feel a bit fiddly with mouse input, but I guess you'd also want to maintain visual consistency across all those knobs. I'm glad you're doing the UI and not I...

Related to the variable range, I'm also curious as to how you'd handle scaling vis a vis CC mapping and automation.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing these filters chirp.

btw wrote:Working with a 100-200% range in that small (60 degree) arc of the knob's rotation could feel a bit fiddly with mouse input, but I guess you'd also want to maintain visual consistency across all those knobs. I'm glad you're doing the UI and not I...

Related to the variable range, I'm also curious as to how you'd handle scaling vis a vis CC mapping and automation.

The resonance mapping is already non-linear for most of the filters. The increased range in the same space feels very natural and musical. The main resonance knob will remain in the same position, but its displayed string and effective resonance value will change with a change of the resonance boost parameter.

Last edited by dark water on Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy-cytomic wrote:
btw wrote:Working with a 100-200% range in that small (60 degree) arc of the knob's rotation could feel a bit fiddly with mouse input, but I guess you'd also want to maintain visual consistency across all those knobs. I'm glad you're doing the UI and not I...

The resonance mapping is already non-linear for most of the filters. The increased range in the same space feels very natural and musical. The main resonance knob will remain in the same position, but its displayed string and effective resonance value will change with a change of the resonance boost parameter.
Sounds good! :)

andy-cytomic wrote:I could actually make the 125% text on the resonance knobs into a control, LP/HP MaxRes 125% - 200%, so as you drag the text changes - perhaps combine this with the picture of a little trim pot turning as well, I like it!
Why don't you let the text fade gradiently from yellow to orange and in the end to red.
Something like this:

___
(RS)
`--'
___
(RS)
`--'
___
(RS)
`--'
___
(RS)
`--'
___
(RS)
`--'

This way you will see it clearly whilst performing f.e.

Of course with some shading or outlining to make it readable ;-)

Return to “Effects”