Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

andy_cytomic wrote:A couple of new audio examples are up on the web page showing off a very difficult case, screaming self oscillation with huge amounts of FM without any oversampling at all - check it out!

https://cytomic.com/cytomic-announces-d ... ter-plugin
Awesome!

I've rarely heard such great sounding audio rate FM from a digital filter :shock:

"The FM source is actually another copy of The Drop in self oscillation as well."
Does this mean that there is a sidechain input for the FM modulator? That would be really great!

Cheers
Dennis

MFXxx wrote:Great news and loving the demo sounds.

@Andy How will this differ to other filters currently out and about ie; Fafbilter Volcano2, CamelAudio CamelPhat, Soundtoys Filter Freak, PSP N20, u-he Uhbik F, Sonalksis TBK?

Purely selfish but currently what's in the rack. Don't get me wrong I know I'll end up buying it for variety but none the less in a market filled with versatile filters how will yours be a game changer?

I appreciate price isn't in the mix for this question and will eventually have a bearing on things.
I honestly don't know how all the plugins you mentioned sound, so I can't tell you how mine will differ. Once there is a trial version available you will be able to compare them yourself.

I aim to match the sound of analog circuits as closely as possible with solid circuit modelling mathematics given realistic cpu constraints and don't really focus on what other people are doing. I did the same thing with The Glue, there were already a Waves and a UAD and an SSL plugin but I didn't let that bother me in the least, seems to have worked out just fine with discerning customers appreciating the extra quality I can offer.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Bronto Scorpio wrote:I've rarely heard such great sounding audio rate FM from a digital filter :shock:

"The FM source is actually another copy of The Drop in self oscillation as well."
Does this mean that there is a sidechain input for the FM modulator? That would be really great!

Cheers
Dennis
Thanks Dennis! Yes you can use either the main or sidechain input for the envelope follower and FM and retriggering of the LFO.

andy_cytomic wrote:Yes you can use either the main or sidechain input for the envelope follower and FM and retriggering of the LFO.
Awesome :)

Cheers
Dennis

andy_cytomic wrote: I honestly don't know how all the plugins you mentioned sound, so I can't tell you how mine will differ. Once there is a trial version available you will be able to compare them yourself.

I aim to match the sound of analog circuits as closely as possible with solid circuit modelling mathematics given realistic cpu constraints and don't really focus on what other people are doing. I did the same thing with The Glue, there were already a Waves and a UAD and an SSL plugin but I didn't let that bother me in the least, seems to have worked out just fine with discerning customers appreciating the extra quality I can offer.
I'm not a fan boy(well maybe), but I know everything you make IS top quality.
The Glue was my first compressor and I love it to bits.
I'm absolutely certain The Drop will be my first filter purchase.

Cheers,
Electrobop

LeVzi wrote:That's something I find very important these days with filters, that they are totally 100% clean when open. Some seem to add colour no matter what you do.

Looking forward to this Andy :)
sugarbytes wow is 100% clean when fully open. So is vengeance philta.

maxxxter wrote:
penguinfromdeep wrote:You can do more than just sweeps, lfo's, envelope follower etc .. And the sound of this baby seem to be better than I've heard yet in software filters.
Yeah, that's true, though I just can't help being somewhat underwhelmed; of all the things I could say I might need now, a new filter would be the among the last.

But since people here are getting excited about it, all I can say is good luck!

I'm sure Andy will manage to sell a few.
Yes i thought so too, oh no not another new filter, but the demos did surprise me how smooth and clean the sweeps were whilst still being fat and juice, so obviously there is dsp mojo going on here that will make it stand out.

+1 looks like i will be picking this up when released :)

The demos do sound good, but then again when you open Volcano 2 that sounds totally awesome as well. I sort of understand the developer not being interested in what the competition on the filter market is at the moment, but as a customer I don't see myself buying another filter unless it sounds A LOT different (because "better" is so subjective) to what I have and right now it doesn't seem that way.

ttoz wrote:
LeVzi wrote:That's something I find very important these days with filters, that they are totally 100% clean when open. Some seem to add colour no matter what you do.

Looking forward to this Andy :)
sugarbytes wow is 100% clean when fully open. So is vengeance philta.
Oh I don't doubt it, I tried plenty before discovering BiFilter2 from Tone2, which is 100% clean when fully open. Before that I used Christian Budde's Butterworth filters HP/LP and then the G-Hi and G-Low filters when the others stopped working. All clean when 100% open :)

And this looks like it will good too.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

andy, honestly, this sounds really stunning! wish you all possible success with thatone! :tu:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

meloco_go wrote:Driven examples sound really good!
But I'm dealing with live music, so not sure if that would be that much of the use for me.
When I said "live" on the web page I really meant live performance with a computer doing electronic or other music that make use of resonant filters for mashing things up in the mix :)

Liero wrote:The demos do sound good, but then again when you open Volcano 2 that sounds totally awesome as well. I sort of understand the developer not being interested in what the competition on the filter market is at the moment, but as a customer I don't see myself buying another filter unless it sounds A LOT different (because "better" is so subjective) to what I have and right now it doesn't seem that way.
Having The Drop side by side with another filter comparison will be the best way to judge this. I'm quietly confident The Drop will impress.

Also in The Drop I already have 3 completely different sounding circuits and will probably add more. This is not just different waveshapers being placed into the same algorithm, the entire character and behaviour changes because the circuit is totally different. On top of that I will offer different non-linearities as well and modulation of their asymmetry. On top of that the cutoff modulates in a very liquid and natural sounding way even under huge amounts of fm.

DaveGamble wrote:Wow. This sounds unbelievably heavy! Can't wait! :D

Dave.
Hey Dave! It's going to sound even more heavy once I add analog modelled self noise and smooth asymmetry control to mess things up even further :D

Erm... how about releasing it soon and then adding those different algos later on?

(holding breath)

:hyper:

Return to “Effects”