Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Hi Andy,
I also think the A/B and Prev/Next buttons would work better on the right hand side. Perhaps put the version number box where the current A/B is (makes sense next to the plugin name) and the menu icon to the left of the preset name field, and prev/next buttons to the right. Then A/B box, then oversampling amount, then CPU use...makes sense to have oversampling and CPU right next to each other too I think.

As for the modulation options. I think it would be best to have a global modulation disable button regardless of GUI state, ie, full or compact. And a dedicated GUI state switch for saving space whether modulation is active or not. I think those two requirements are mutually exclusive, and not a both-or-nothing situation.

I don't own The Drop yet, but have been demoing for some time and it's not a matter of IF I'll get it, but when. Awesome plugin! :tu:
Great to see it being constantly worked on and added to too.

andy-cytomic wrote:
sqigls wrote:not disable. just hide
and just leave the mod controls there too
The use case is for an easy version, where these is no modulation so you can do basic automation tasks. Keeping all the modulation knobs there and active but there are no visible modulation sources would make things harder to understand, not easier!
Why not just make a lite version then?
I don't see the point... "so you can do basic automation tasks?"
As in, so you can automate the cutoff frequency?
How does seeing less controls on the GUI allow a person to automate easier?

sqigls wrote: Why not just make a lite version then?
This feature sounds like it isn't for you, just like it's not for me. For a lot of people the modulation section is way too advanced and visually intimidating - they either want to do static filtering, or map a controller to the cutoffs and turn knobs and record that, and anything else is overkill.

edit: having a light version means I have to maintain two entire plugins, and perhaps one day the user may get brave and want to explore the modulation section, but then they will have to swap out one plugin and replace it with a different one. It's better just to have the same plugin but with an easy mode.
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy-cytomic wrote:
sqigls wrote: Why not just make a lite version then?
This feature sounds like it isn't for you, just like it's not for me. For a lot of people the modulation section is way to advanced and visually intimidating - they either want to do static filtering, or map a controller to the cutoffs and turn knobs and record that, and anything else is overkill.

edit: having a light version means I have to maintain two entire plugins, and perhaps one day the user may get brave and want to explore the modulation section, but then they will have to swap out one plugin and replace it with a different one. It's better just to have the same plugin but with an easy mode.

I am exactly one of those you speak of.....and yes an easy mode would be appreciated.

rsp
sound sculptist

xalama qo wrote:Hi Andy,
I also think the A/B and Prev/Next buttons would work better on the right hand side. Perhaps put the version number box where the current A/B is (makes sense next to the plugin name) and the menu icon to the left of the preset name field, and prev/next buttons to the right. Then A/B box, then oversampling amount, then CPU use...makes sense to have oversampling and CPU right next to each other too I think.

As for the modulation options. I think it would be best to have a global modulation disable button regardless of GUI state, ie, full or compact. And a dedicated GUI state switch for saving space whether modulation is active or not. I think those two requirements are mutually exclusive, and not a both-or-nothing situation.

I don't own The Drop yet, but have been demoing for some time and it's not a matter of IF I'll get it, but when. Awesome plugin! :tu:
Great to see it being constantly worked on and added to too.
Thanks for the suggestions about the top bar. I'll have a look at all the plugins and see how it fits in with all of them. I agree that the version number is better nearer the name, but I'm going to ditch that and add undo / redo buttons instead, so that will change anyway.

For clarity I will not allow contracting of the modulation section if modulation is active, otherwise you have things changing the sound you cannot see! I could add an option to a menu that says "keep expanded" so when you set the MOD button off you still have the full gui, but that's it. The other way around, to collapse the modulators when they are still active, is not an option.

zvenx wrote: I am exactly one of those you speak of.....and yes an easy mode would be appreciated.
rsp
Awesome, I'd love to hear from you. How does the image I posted look to you when MOD is off? Is that a small enough footprint and headprint?

andy-cytomic wrote: For clarity I will not allow contracting of the modulation section if modulation is active, otherwise you have things changing the sound you cannot see! I could add an option to a menu that says "keep expanded" so when you set the MOD button off you still have the full gui, but that's it. The other way around, to collapse the modulators when they are still active, is not an option.
Too bad because collapse the modulation panel while still active is exactly the unique function I need...

andy-cytomic wrote:
zvenx wrote: I am exactly one of those you speak of.....and yes an easy mode would be appreciated.
rsp
Awesome, I'd love to hear from you. How does the image I posted look to you when MOD is off? Is that a small enough footprint and headprint?

Honestly? the first row, and the first column 2nd row is all I need most times...

if you were to ask me which competitor has a gui that for me fits the best?

https://sugar-bytes.de/storage/app/medi ... 60x980.jpg

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Hi Andy, thanks for your response :tu:
IIRC a yellow line/s illustrates the LFO movement in the LCD display area when "something's happening" right? Isn't this enough of an indicator that modulation is active to avoid confusion in a compact GUI? Anyway, I respect your choices regarding the way forward :D

zvenx wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:
rsp

Honestly? the first row, and the first column 2nd row is all I need most times...

if you were to ask me which competitor has a gui that for me fits the best?

https://sugar-bytes.de/storage/app/medi ... 60x980.jpg

rsp
The shift knob and wide mode are critical to a one knob DJ filter setup, and the glide smoothing is also critical to get the right amount of smoothing on automation, so those controls will stay as removing them doesn't decrease the size of the gui anyway and would really cripple the functionality for an easy mode.

:ud:
Last edited by Vertion on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Vertion wrote:Andy,

If a user has to refresh their computer to the manufacturer default to fix an issue, and reinstall all Cytomic's wonderful products. Does it count against the user to re-activate it on the same machine?

My computer is getting old. There are 2 old laptops here (mine and my wife), but I only installed it on mine, as I'm not sure if it's per seat (one computer) or per user (all computers)? I don't use her machine, but they are both performing in our humble tiny studio with their own products. I'm asking as a general question, but my situation might be unique. Should I email directly in these situations? I'm supposing you are a very busy man, given the extremely high quality of your products. I honor licenses, so I thought it would be prudent to ask.

V
You have the right to use each license on two machines simultaneously. You can authorise 3 machines per year automatically, which should be enough to cover reasonable use of purchasing new computers. Each authorisation is tied to the motherboard of the computer and I use metrics that are as robust as possible so you should be fine formatting a machine and re-installing from scratch the same operating system. If you ever run into issues running a single license on two of your personal machines then please email and we can issue another one to cover you until the next year rolls around, when you get three more anyway. If you are trying to maintain three or more machines with a single license then issues will could arise with authorisation counts, you really need two or more licenses to cover this situation :tu:

Andy,

Thank you for the quick reply. This is why I love your ace products: a guru at what you do, and abundantly kind to your customers. If you ever start a class on how to run a successful leading software company, I will be the first to sign up. Later.

V
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Is the demo song really supposed to be called One Sided Tranny? It was like that on the old site too.

:oops:
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”