Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Whenever I try to resize GUI (via the new mode button or the % buttons or by dragging) it crashes my DAW. Is there any workaround to this ? Win 7 64 Bit Cubase 9 Pro.

Dip200 wrote:Whenever I try to resize GUI (via the new mode button or the % buttons or by dragging) it crashes my DAW. Is there any workaround to this ? Win 7 64 Bit Cubase 9 Pro.
Thanks for reporting the issue. Unfortunately Cubase is one of the least robust VST hosting DAWs on the planet, which is kind of ironic. Can you please email me a bug report? support@cytomic.com . Once we have any more information that will be useful for anyone else running Cubase on Win we can report back here.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy-cytomic wrote:
Dip200 wrote:Whenever I try to resize GUI (via the new mode button or the % buttons or by dragging) it crashes my DAW. Is there any workaround to this ? Win 7 64 Bit Cubase 9 Pro.
Thanks for reporting the issue. Unfortunately Cubase is one of the least robust VST hosting DAWs on the planet, which is kind of ironic. Can you please email me a bug report? support@cytomic.com . Once we have any more information that will be useful for anyone else running Cubase on Win we can report back here.
I just received my Cubase Pro 9 license from Steinberg and as yet haven't been able to reproduce the issue. I'm working with Dip200 over email to try and track it down, and will report back here when there is some news just in case this is impacting anyone else.

zvenx wrote: Thanks Andy....
so far only some OCD stuff.
like at the bottom of the gui.
Needs some cleaning up ...
rsp
Well since most people didn't mind either way and you and a few people wanted it changed I've updated the graphics to round the bottom corners when mod is disabled :)

News: The Drop v1.5.6 is out! This has a slightly updated GUI with the bottom border changed when mod is not active. Also an important bug fix for oversampling of the sidechain input.

The Drop v1.5.6 (18 July 2017)
https://cytomic.com/drop
  • Fixed: sidechain input broken with oversampling
  • Fixed: trigger to LFO2 now re-randomises even if full cycle hasn’t completed yet

andy-cytomic wrote:
zvenx wrote: Thanks Andy....
so far only some OCD stuff.
like at the bottom of the gui.
Needs some cleaning up ...
rsp
Well since most people didn't mind either way and you and a few people wanted it changed I've updated the graphics to round the bottom corners when mod is disabled :)
Thank you. just download 1.5.6 and I am happy.
thanks for listening.
rsp
sound sculptist

V 1.5.6. I notice that the top bar, all the way to the right, used to display the I/O Mono/Stereo, Sidechain. But now it displays CPU consumption instead in %. Is this by design? Thanks. Not sure if this was changed in the latest version or a few versions back, but the manual still shows the I/O displaying here.

Also, what are these Up and Down options in the oversampling menu? And "HD Render" Could you add that info to the manual? Thanks.
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:V 1.5.6. I notice that the top bar, all the way to the right, used to display the I/O Mono/Stereo, Sidechain. But now it displays CPU consumption instead in %. Is this by design? Thanks. Not sure if this was changed in the latest version or a few versions back, but the manual still shows the I/O displaying here.

Also, what are these Up and Down options in the oversampling menu? And "HD Render" Could you add that info to the manual? Thanks.
1) yes
2) up options are for which type of oversampling is used to make more samples to process, dn is which type is used to remove samples before giving the samples back to the host. The different modes all delay the signal differently, but have roughly the same magnitude response. The differences will require a long article to explain in full, but some plots will help. Basically if you want the most transparent oversampler then use the linear phase mode, if you want the one with least latency use the minimum phase one, and if you want a compromise use the intermediate phase one.

3) HD on render switches the HD button on for the LP and HP filter for render if it's not already on

I'll update the manual soon, sorry it's a little out of date, but please feel free to ask more questions here if you want.

Thanks!
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:Thanks!
You're welcome! Here is also the frequency response is you subtract the latency compensated input signal from the output - which is called a "null" test. As you can see the linear phase mode is easily the "closest" to the input signal in the time domain once you compensate for the latency introduced, which is why linear phase oversamplers are so widely used and should be the default choice for most situations:

andy-cytomic wrote:I just received my Cubase Pro 9 license from Steinberg and as yet haven't been able to reproduce the issue. I'm working with Dip200 over email to try and track it down, and will report back here when there is some news just in case this is impacting anyone else.
I have tracked down the issue now, it is specific to VST2.4 in Cubase on Windows 7/8 with Windows Desktop scaling set to 125% or lower on a HiDPI display. Because Cubase don't support their own API properly the Juce framework has a hack to force the host to resize the window anyway, which caused the plugin to be told the wrong size which caused the crash. I've got a fix for this where I ignore the incorrect size being sent to my plugins. I need to test this out on Mac and make sure it still works there, but it's looking good for a fix early next week.

If anyone else is experiencing this issue then you can just leave the plugin scale at 100% and keep the MOD button on, or change your Windows Desktop scaling to 150% or more.

andy-cytomic wrote:As you can see the linear phase mode is easily the "closest" to the input signal in the time domain once you compensate for the latency introduced, which is why linear phase oversamplers are so widely used and should be the default choice for most situations:
Indeed, but I wonder how time-domain signal distortion affects the behavior of the envelope based effects. Surely, this will matter only in extreme case, but wouldn't a compressor react to the pre-ringing portion of signal? I wonder whether the intermediate phase is better if more "hardware-like" action is wanted.

Your support and general plugin maintainance is exemplary. Thank you very much.

Dip200 wrote:Your support and general plugin maintainance is exemplary. Thank you very much.
You're welcome!

News: The Drop v1.5.7 is out! This hopefully fixes the resizing issues in Cubase, and the buffer overrun when triggering via midi (not sure how that bug crept in there, sorry about that!).

I've also added what I think is a first in any plugin I know of, that is a legato beat synced LFO. The LFO when set to Beat 1 as the source will push and pull the rate until is aligns perfectly with the beat, so you can go crazy with the rate knob but everything magically stays in time without any jumps. You can still access the old Beat 2 and Beat 3 modes, they have been merged into Beat 2 mode now. Please give it a go and see how you get on :)

On LFO1 and / or LFO2 to get Legato LFO mode:
1) enable SYNC
2) set the SOURCE to BEAT 1
3) adjust the modulation depth to do something with the LFO
4) go crazy on the RATE and MULT knobs!!!!

The Drop v1.5.7 (3 Aug 2017)
https://cytomic.com/drop
  • New: Beat 1 "Legato" beat sync mode for LFO1 and LFO2
  • Fixed: more stable song position for beat sync of LFOs
  • Fixed: midi message processing causing possible buffer overruns and odd random issues
  • Fixed: resizing window on Windows 7/8 with between 100% and 150% desktop scaling

Return to “Effects”