Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

sqigls wrote:a basic, CPU efficient, great sounding lo/hi pass filter plugin with NO LATENCY would be nice.

think the filter equivalent of what Breeze 2 is to reverbs...
Press the blue MOD button in the middle to switch off all modulation, switch off HD modes on both filters, disable realtime and render oversampling and you're done - low cpu, no latency, and great sounding high pass and low pass filters.

If you want oversampling on render but not for realtime and want no latency then you can edit the settings.xml file located in The Drop's AppData / Application Support folder and edit the line:
<Tuple Key="ForceDynamicLatency" Value="false"/>

to:
<Tuple Key="ForceDynamicLatency" Value="true"/>

Then you set Realtime to x1 (Off), and Render to whatever you want. Some hosts crash when you do this and I cannot fix it since it's an issue with the host. If you find an issue then please email the author of the host and ask them to support dynamic latency on render in their software (ahem Steinberg!!!)
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

sqigls wrote:not to mention there's still latency after disabling everything on the list.
then it sounds [ok]... but might as well just use Simplon.
Not sure what you're talking about there, can you please fill us in on what you mean?

Do you want the anti-aliasing of oversampling without latency? There is a way to do this, just set your host sample rate to 88.2 / 96 kHz and you've got x2 oversampling and no latency (for all plugins!).

If you want oversampling at the plugin level then you will get latency, there is no way to avoid this, it is built in to all low pass filters that latency is added. You can minimise the latency of oversampling in The Drop by selecting the "Minimum Phase" oversampling mode, but this will alter the phase of your signal near nyquist - there is always a tradeoff.

andy-cytomic wrote:
sqigls wrote:not to mention there's still latency after disabling everything on the list.
then it sounds [ok]... but might as well just use Simplon.
...Press the blue MOD button in the middle to switch off all modulation, switch off HD modes on both filters, disable realtime and render oversampling and you're done - low cpu, no latency, and great sounding high pass and low pass filters.
done all this, but the plugin was still reporting latency...

ok... I overlooked the offline render selection though :P as i thought it would make no difference (as it's relating to offline), but yeah, now it's reporting 0ms... derp

cheers Andy

jeez, being so used to listening to The Drop @ 96kHz - it's a real bummer to have to use it at 44.1 with no oversampling etc... still better than most other options though :D

sqigls wrote: done all this, but the plugin was still reporting latency...

ok... I overlooked the offline render selection though :P as i thought it would make no difference (as it's relating to offline), but yeah, now it's reporting 0ms... derp

cheers Andy

jeez, being so used to listening to The Drop @ 96kHz - it's a real bummer to have to use it at 44.1 with no oversampling etc... still better than most other options though :D
You can have no latency for realtime when you have oversampling on render, you need to set the advanced option in the settings.xml file otherwise DAWs crash - this is not a limit of The Drop, but a problem with a lot of DAWs not handling dynamic latency.

If you insist on using a low sample rate like 44.1khz for your project then you can still get a smooth low latency oversampled sound by using the "Up Minimum Phase" and "Dn Minimum phase", and if you set the rate to x2 for both realtime and render you will get 5 samples latency, which is pretty much nothing. This latency is linear phase up till around 10 khz, which is pretty much as good as it gets in terms of low latency oversampling that is still sample accurate so DAWs can compensate for it.
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeah cheers, it's a big project, full of soft synths and effects... processing external synths also... i've only gone to 44.1 because i was having a few crackles live at 48.
was hoping to ramp up the other way to 96, but i just need to identify a few unessential things i don't need to tweak live, and replace some effects that come with latency, then I can start rendering things... then hopefully be able to process vocals live within the set! without the need of a hardware mixer, which will be exciting and more transportable :)

i'll have a look at this xml, hopefully it doesn't crash my set :P

Thanks again

Is there any chance you could add a 125% skin pretty please?
100 is too small on my machine, but 150 is way over the top.

sqigls wrote:Is there any chance you could add a 125% skin pretty please?
100 is too small on my machine, but 150 is way over the top.
Drag/resize the window to any size you want?

HA!
classic
cheers
:P

Finally bought! My new favorite analog mono synth is... a filter? Yep. And it's oscillators have endless options!

I am looking forward to what synth you are cooking up though. I would say include all the gnarly goodies (most of which are in either the MS-20 or the MS-20 Desktop Kit):
-Ring Mod
-Sync
-PWM
-Osc FM
-Filter FM
-Duophonic mode

News: cytomic.com is moving to a new scalable hosting service. If all goes well we should be back up and running in around a day. Although the web page is in maintenance mode you can still authorise, but there may be a few hours outage during the transfer.

The transfer to the new web server is complete :)

I logged into my account my downloads are there. :)

Just tried The Scream.

Was messing around with mods and got some interesting behaviors and settings that sound good with a filtered sawtooth.

I really like the idea you have going with The Scream with the mods, deep settings, and the fact that The Scream distortion is not a simple signal modifier, but it is a reactive system like an analog circuit. Because of this, I'm wondering if there's settings to induce feedback or other craziness.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm also wondering if there are any good third party presets anywhere that heavily feature the mod tweaks?

Architeuthis wrote:Just tried The Scream.

Was messing around with mods and got some interesting behaviors and settings that sound good with a filtered sawtooth.

I really like the idea you have going with The Scream with the mods, deep settings, and the fact that The Scream distortion is not a simple signal modifier, but it is a reactive system like an analog circuit. Because of this, I'm wondering if there's settings to induce feedback or other craziness.
Thanks for already posting this over on The Scream thread, I'll answer there.

Return to “Effects”