This new SSL channel strip from IK Multimedia looks great

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yeah that GUI looks atrocious, particularly for a company so obsessed with marketing like IK Marketmedia.

hibidy wrote:
paterpeter wrote:Image

:hihi:

j/k Haven't tested it yet. It might well be that it sounds fantastic.
OUCH, my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when did fisher-price start making plugins ?? .....

'MY FIRST CHANNEL STRIP'

Honestly, and I'm probably going to get flack for saying this, but I don't think the GUI is really that bad. I personally think that some are overreacting to it. Don't get me wrong, I can understand that everyone has different tastes, and not everyone will see it the same way.

But I find it odd how many people here will complain when somebody makes a flashy GUI for a crappy plugin and say that looks don't matter, the sound is all that matters. But then when a good plugin(I'm assuming, as I haven't tried it) has a "bad" GUI, all of a sudden it matters.

Just strange to me.

Not that it matters much as I can't afford much new stuff these days, so I won't be able to buy it or the other plugins any time soon. Nice to see some new additions to the selection though.

Brent
My host is better than your host

I have no idea what this thread is about. It's as confusing as windshield wipers on a bicycle.

Update........oh yeah, it's an IK thread :dog: :hihi: Sorry bout that......my bad......

SSL = Simply Silly Looking?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

koolkeys wrote:Honestly, and I'm probably going to get flack for saying this, but I don't think the GUI is really that bad. I personally think that some are overreacting to it. Don't get me wrong, I can understand that everyone has different tastes, and not everyone will see it the same way.

But I find it odd how many people here will complain when somebody makes a flashy GUI for a crappy plugin and say that looks don't matter, the sound is all that matters. But then when a good plugin(I'm assuming, as I haven't tried it) has a "bad" GUI, all of a sudden it matters.

Just strange to me.

Not that it matters much as I can't afford much new stuff these days, so I won't be able to buy it or the other plugins any time soon. Nice to see some new additions to the selection though.

Brent
Glad you said it first, but I'm with you on this. Sure it's not photorealistic, but does it have to be? Actually, it reminds me of some of the Krackli GUI's, which I always found to be colorful and charming.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I agree that the sound is the most important factor and, despite how hideous I think this plugin is, I don't think that it's unusable (although it is fun to poke fun at it). It just seems very uncharacteristic of IK to release something with a GUI that is so cheap-ish/amateur looking when their other plugins all look pretty nice and professional IMO. Besides, I'm waiting for them to let us in on the joke - i.e., that this was just a windup to draw attention to their new plugin before showing us the "real" GUI.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

bk wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
bk wrote: GUIs like that will surely make people question your decisions in other areas...
What areas? A GUI is a choice and there are varying opinions. I think that's a mountain out of a molehill, that statement about "other areas". Or was that just a good opportunity for some potshot? Just be clear, and we'll try to answer your concerns.
Potshot? Seriously?!
I said I'm an IK fan. Or at least I was...
It's an opportunity to make my feelings known about one of your new products.

I'm offering my opinion that a gui like that will make people question the dsp behind the gui. Take the advice or don't. I couldn't possibly care less. But you HAVE to realize this is a possibility. When people see tinkertoys, they think tinkertoys.

Believe it or not, sometimes criticism is given by well meaning folks to improve a product/reputation, not to say "IK sucks".

Way to piss off a loyal customer, Pete.
First off, I'm Peter as per my user name. Second, I really didn't intend to piss you off. You can download and see how it sounds (since Custom Shop adds the "Try" functionality to T-RackS) but I don't see how a GUI is going to make people question DSP programming. However, I understand your point now that you elaborated (but I still don't agree). I guess something that made no logical connection to me seemed like a potshot, so thanks for clarifying that it wasn't. This is no tinker toy. I hope you try it and see.

Also, I find that points like the one made about long-term usability and how it may be hard to do so for the user that made the point are far more realistic observations about a GUI. But again, I understand now that yours wasn't a potshot and your opinion is as valid as any other though I find no logical connection between a GUI like this and the sound quality/DSP programming of said plugin.

To try it, just download T-RackS Custom Shop free version at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/trcs if you'd like

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:...and I also thought the new Quad GUIs made people think they were iOS! ;)
Well, not a fan of these knobs, but looks a lot better overall.

koolkeys wrote:Honestly, and I'm probably going to get flack for saying this, but I don't think the GUI is really that bad.
The gui is fine for me. I just would like a frequency graph added for visual feedback of the EQ curve. Otherwise, knob layout is pretty similar to Sonnox EQ. The colors clearly separate each EQ band set of controls.

I still like the GUI. The color scheme isn't the best but the layout is what I really like. I will be getting this very soon.

Kevin63101 wrote:
koolkeys wrote:Honestly, and I'm probably going to get flack for saying this, but I don't think the GUI is really that bad.
The gui is fine for me. I just would like a frequency graph added for visual feedback of the EQ curve. Otherwise, knob layout is pretty similar to Sonnox EQ. The colors clearly separate each EQ band set of controls.
See, the point with vintage analog gear, is to mix with your ears.

Glad that there's at least no graph.

It influence people too much, me too.

How unfortunate. I had a few bucks put aside for this but I can't justify spending anything on that abomination.

Ok. I think I've finally got an understanding of what is going on here.

New models are now a CS option.
New models not favorable to some GUI wise, especially the british channel

Is that accurate (filtering out the other stuff?)

Return to “Effects”