ValhallaVintageVerb 1.7.1. Two new reverb modes (Chaotic Hall, Chaotic Chamber)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaVintageVerb

valhallasound wrote:
e@rs wrote:And, why there's still no way to reset the parameters?
I've thought about the default thing, and the answer is: I don't think that it makes sense for the reverbs to have "default" parameters that you can reset to.

Reverb is totally dependent on source and personal taste. I open up the plugin with a set of default parameters, as you need to start somewhere - but that isn't to imply that this is any sort of ideal sound that you start off with. For example, VintageVerb opens up with a 4 second concert hall. Does this mean that most music will sound good with a 4 second concert hall? Probably not.

In the Juce code framework, you can enable double clicking to reset an individual parameter. However, a single click at a given point on a slider can set the value to something that makes sense for you. This is the approach that I think makes more sense for the Valhalla reverbs.

Sean Costello
I (kinda) see your point, but many times I wish the reset feature was there.

Maybe make a poll about it? See what users think about it?

You're both not wrong. I guess it makes sense for some parameters (for instance: mod depth, predelay) and less so for others (decay, mod speed).

What presets use the new Chaotic Hall and Chaotic Chamber algorithms?

Ed A. wrote:What presets use the new Chaotic Hall and Chaotic Chamber algorithms?
The presets are all under Factory->Chaotic in the Presets browser. It made sense to just give them a dedicated folder.

Chaotic Chamber algo is excellent! :tu:
"when you have nothing to say - shut up." -A friend of Luc Besson

Chaotic Hall is really good for drum sounds; it creates a lot of diffusion very quickly. This algorithm’s weakness is synth string sounds without too many harmonics; since this algorithm decays high frequencies more quickly than low frequencies (which gives it a distinct, dark sound), its modal density decreases, especially with long tails. This can be somewhat worked around by giving BassMult a value of 0.25 and adjusting BassFreq, but it’s something to watch for with this algorithm.

I would like to thank Sean for making this available to everyone. It’s a really good free update to an already excellent low-cost reverb plug in.
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

Sean, is it possible you could stick some navigation arrows on either side of the algorithm drop-down list please? It feels very unnecessary and a bit of a pain to be clicking the menu to browse through algos every time.
please thank you?

valhallasound wrote:
Ed A. wrote:What presets use the new Chaotic Hall and Chaotic Chamber algorithms?
The presets are all under Factory->Chaotic in the Presets browser. It made sense to just give them a dedicated folder.
Yup, makes a world of sense....
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

sqigls wrote:Sean, is it possible you could stick some navigation arrows on either side of the algorithm drop-down list please? It feels very unnecessary and a bit of a pain to be clicking the menu to browse through algos every time.
please thank you?
At least on my Mac, once I've clicked on the algorithm area I can use the arrow keys to navigate between algorithms.

Winstontaneous wrote:
sqigls wrote:Sean, is it possible you could stick some navigation arrows on either side of the algorithm drop-down list please? It feels very unnecessary and a bit of a pain to be clicking the menu to browse through algos every time.
please thank you?
At least on my Mac, once I've clicked on the algorithm area I can use the arrow keys to navigate between algorithms.
oh cheers mate, that works a treat.

sqigls wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:
please thank you?
oh cheers mate, that works a treat.
Excellent! I, um, TOTALLY knew that the arrow keys worked like that... :dog:

cheeky scamp :P

Just a heads up that in recent series of Deconstructing a mix on Mix With The Masters, Andy Wallace used VVV on Tiled Room, A Plate and Large Chamber presets for his reverbs (together with Large Hall from Lexicon PCM) and commented positively on the sound.

Very nice - I've recently rediscovered Valhalla Room... you can create some pretty realistic depth in your mix with it.

meloco_go wrote:Just a heads up that in recent series of Deconstructing a mix on Mix With The Masters, Andy Wallace used VVV on Tiled Room, A Plate and Large Chamber presets for his reverbs (together with Large Hall from Lexicon PCM) and commented positively on the sound.
Very glad to hear :hihi:
I personally consider him to possibly be the most badass audio engineer around :hihi:

Return to “Effects”