SampleSumo SaltyGrain 1.0 is out ! (aka KTGrain 2.0)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

monas wrote:i just went for it and bought it. i never got along with ktgranulator on osx because of the missing guy. i am really happy that i can use it properly now, because there's surprisingly few alternatives for this kind of granular processing out there in the plugin world. loomers shift comes to my mind, but it's more of a multi tap delay thing than anything granular. also reaktors grain cloud module, but that's about it. then there's munger~ around since ages for max/pd, but you can't use it as a plugin.

some extra features i'd like to see in saltygrain:

- grain reverse knob; if possible a continuous choice of how many percent of the grains should be reversed.

- an octave shift knob like in soundhacks bubbler
There is Argotlunar which is open source and cross platform and also based on the AudioMulch granular device. http://argotlunar.info/
miedex

There is Argotlunar which is open source and cross platform and also based on the AudioMulch granular device. http://argotlunar.info/
yes i remember checking this one out. but to my ear it sounds rather lofi, like the soundhack bubbler, which IMO is still the best free option for mac. the sound engine makes a world of a difference with these granular things.

there's also in ear displays R_Mem, which has a great sound, but not quite the density you can get with saltygrain. it's a bit of a different approach, rather for mangling than for ambient pads.

KoenTanghe wrote:@antithesist: We felt that the few people who ever actually showed their appreciation by giving a donation in the past, deserved a special treatment. They have been contacted by me personally with a special personal coupon to thank them for their past support.
I was referring to this statement: "If you like the plugin, really want to support us and never donated in the past, then by all means: here's your chance to show your love."

antithesist wrote:
KoenTanghe wrote:@antithesist: We felt that the few people who ever actually showed their appreciation by giving a donation in the past, deserved a special treatment. They have been contacted by me personally with a special personal coupon to thank them for their past support.
I was referring to this statement: "If you like the plugin, really want to support us and never donated in the past, then by all means: here's your chance to show your love."
ya, I kind of inferred the same thing. But like you found it too vague to actually count on. ktgranulator is a kool freebie {this could account for some of it's popularity?}, kool plugin in general, but I'm not one of those who've been using it all these years so never donated. I'm on OSX too so the gui, or lack thereof, is one more reason I haven't been using it despite being fond of granular stuff. anyway all told and considering the other tools at my disposal it's priced out of my league, even with the discount. so the idea that I could donate now and maybe catch a break on the overall price caught my eye. the devs are kool guys though and I wish them well, I'll be keeping an eye out for a {cheaper} opportunity to pick up a license though. my personal opinion is they've priced it too high, and IMO it would be prudent to list & commit to adding some new features and/or updates to existing ones etc. if people are finding the price difficult to swallow as-is, this seems like a good way to change perspective a bit. though I realise devs, and sensible customers, are loathe to sell/buy something on the basis of what is to come, rather than what it is currently.

cheers

hope you guys made some decent presets, seems cool for vocals in a dubstep kinda way

I'd have categories like:
-vocal,
-rhytmics(the ubiquitous drum loop thru a plugin )
-pads
-FX

just to get the ball rolling(Bram plugin reference)
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

justin3am wrote:That's awesome! I love KT Granulator!
ditto. i used it constantly and ran head through walls due to the instability back then. i really started to bounce the logic tracks right from the start, as it kept crashing all the time... but for the love of my life, i couldn't stop using it... even nowadays i do some sample stuff with it... good to see it back!
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Bought it too, I love it. I wanted to support the guys who made this incredible granular tool, and therefore have access to updates and improvements. I'm going to use this one alot into my electroacoustic & experimental oriented work.

The only thing is that now SaltyGrain is going to put some of my other granular plugins into the closet and collect dust... :P

Good work SampleSumo crew!

i had to register to be able to tell you this : on every website where it says free ktgranulator download ,the file has been replaced by a fake 4.07kb exe file ,if theres anyone who still got the ktgranulator instalation file or .dll file pls send me a message ,i had a huge hd failiure and lost the instalation file

Ouch, that's harsh, even if it's understandable from a business perspective. They seem essentially identical. Have you tried Argotlunar? It's a bit deeper but just as accessible.

To be fair, if ktGranulator is such an integral part of your work you may want to buy v2.0. If nothing else, it's 64bit and future proof.

wasi wrote:Yeah, 70 Euros is steep... not entirely undeserved, it's a very well done revamp, but it's well above impulse buy territory for me, even with the discount. 20% off 70 dollars I'd have probably bought it (or if I had used KTgranulator I'd feel somewhat obligated), but as it is I think I'll - reluctantly - pass.

Looking forward to more cool stuff from SampleSumo though. :D
I totally agree with the above.

I have rediscovered this gem and MY OH MY !! :shock: :-o :o

This is an INCREDIBLE TOOL and the fact that it is 6 or 7 years old - makes it even more impressive.

But the price, man... I THINK (and this is not based on any marketing/psychological research) that the price just ain't right. especially as this plug should try and be an instant buy. it SEEMS that a 50 DOLLAR is the threshold (I can only speak on my own behalf but I DO want to support great developers. Sean Costello and Chris Randall are among the ones who make AWESOME products at a VERY fair price. one that makes you want to come back and buy MORE without thinking. and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one with this line of thought).

I do have the old KTgranulator (well, I am an archive fanatic... :roll:) and it is an AWESOME product (sometimes, one has to ponder just how many gems like this are at his disposal and he doesn't even KNOW he owns it...), and it has found itself VERY quickly to my VST folder... FWIW, I would happily support you guys, just make it easier for us, K ?

Cheers, and GOOD LUCK !! :tu:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

What's different between SaltyGrain and KT Granulator ? It seems that it contains the same features so what justify to buy it 69euro (which is a bit expensive imo) ?

EDIT : this is a real question not a troll! :wink:

Endor-8o8 wrote:What's different between SaltyGrain and KT Granulator ? It seems that it contains the same features so what justify to buy it 69euro (which is a bit expensive imo) ?

Indeed, features are the same. Of course, brand new skin and better readability. About the resynthesis engine, I'm not sure if it's been reworked but it seems to sound a bit fuller and better to my hears, although I totally admit it can be placebo effect here :P I haven't sound tested them side by side with the old one.

The developers are also open to suggestions and requests in their forums: https://www.samplesumo.com/forum

I hope they get support and continue to develop it, it's a fantastic granulator.

Neon Breath wrote:
Endor-8o8 wrote:What's different between SaltyGrain and KT Granulator ? It seems that it contains the same features so what justify to buy it 69euro (which is a bit expensive imo) ?

Indeed, features are the same. Of course, brand new skin and better readability. About the resynthesis engine, I'm not sure if it's been reworked but it seems to sound a bit fuller and better to my hears, although I totally admit it can be placebo effect here :P I haven't sound tested them side by side with the old one.

The developers are also open to suggestions and requests in their forums: https://www.samplesumo.com/forum

I hope they get support and continue to develop it, it's a fantastic granulator.
Thanks for giving your opinion ! I agree, it's a really interesting granulilzer, I hope they will add some new features and keep this tool alive.

Too pricey.......I went with the CrusherX Studio crossgrade instead
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Too pricey.......I went with the CrusherX Studio crossgrade instead
Yes too expensive for just a design changing. For the moment I'm staying with the free version aka KT Granulator, to me both (free and sumo) sound the same so no point in buying it at the moment...

Return to “Effects”