I only use freeware, so dongles are the least of my concerns
3%

Total votes: 236

RELATED
PRODUCTS

@ JJ_Jettflow: you might be interested in reading this:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn ... oting.html
2. Procedures for lost/defective USB-eLicensers

I have accidentally lost my USB key! Does it get replaced by Steinberg?

Again, the USB-eLicenser is the most vital part of your product!
Please make sure to have all keys registered in MySteinberg so that the key number is known. Without a MySteinberg account and a USB-eLicenser registration, no replacement is possible.
Now, in case the USB-eLicenser has been lost or stolen, please contact your local support for further information on how to proceed.
It might make sense to have an empty spare USB-eLicenser at hand as we only replace the licenses stored on the lost/stolen key (if all preconditions are met).

The USB-eLicenser I just bought does not work (the red LED inside the key does not light up when connected). It appears to be just dead (Dead On Arrival, manufacturing error). How do I get it replaced?

Please return the whole product package to your dealer or contact our technical support for a replacement.

My USB-eLicenser worked fine but now it has ceased to function and appears to be defective without any physical damage.

In this case please contact our technical support for a replacement USB-eLicenser and licenses. Please make sure that the key has been registered in MySteinberg before contacting us!

I broke my USB-eLicenser!

You need to buy a new empty USB-eLicenser.
Please make sure that the defective key has been registered in MySteinberg before contacting us for any license replacement.
The new activation code(s) can then be downloaded to the new USB-eLicenser using the License Control Center.

Amon1973 wrote:@ JJ_Jettflow: you might be interested in reading this:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn ... oting.html
2. Procedures for lost/defective USB-eLicensers

I have accidentally lost my USB key! Does it get replaced by Steinberg?

Again, the USB-eLicenser is the most vital part of your product!
Please make sure to have all keys registered in MySteinberg so that the key number is known. Without a MySteinberg account and a USB-eLicenser registration, no replacement is possible.
Now, in case the USB-eLicenser has been lost or stolen, please contact your local support for further information on how to proceed.
It might make sense to have an empty spare USB-eLicenser at hand as we only replace the licenses stored on the lost/stolen key (if all preconditions are met).

The USB-eLicenser I just bought does not work (the red LED inside the key does not light up when connected). It appears to be just dead (Dead On Arrival, manufacturing error). How do I get it replaced?

Please return the whole product package to your dealer or contact our technical support for a replacement.

My USB-eLicenser worked fine but now it has ceased to function and appears to be defective without any physical damage.

In this case please contact our technical support for a replacement USB-eLicenser and licenses. Please make sure that the key has been registered in MySteinberg before contacting us!

I broke my USB-eLicenser!

You need to buy a new empty USB-eLicenser.
Please make sure that the defective key has been registered in MySteinberg before contacting us for any license replacement.
The new activation code(s) can then be downloaded to the new USB-eLicenser using the License Control Center.
removed
Last edited by JJ_Jettflow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That won't happen, as it would be nothing less than another full license. Adobe and Corel didn't give me a second license as well, yep, they use no dongles, but I just can use the software on one computer. If I want to put another copy on my laptop, I have to buy a second license.

By the way, I prefer my plugins to be dongle-free.

I think it's OK to have one for the host, though. Using Cubase I wouldn't mind to buy some other eLicenser protected software, but in no way I'm going to have anything PACE installed on my HD again - won't delve in the reasons for this.

Amon1973 wrote:By the way, I prefer my plugins to be dongle-free.

I think it's OK to have one for the host, though. Using Cubase I wouldn't mind to buy some other eLicenser protected software, but in no way I'm going to have anything PACE installed on my HD again - won't delve in the reasons for this.
removed
Last edited by JJ_Jettflow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I reinstalled Windows 8 weeks ago and the Ilok plugins were easy to install no activation or serials needed. The other plugins though were a pain in the but trying to find login names and passwords serials. I keep these backed up but after two years they were all over the place and some logins were changed since then. You can re download and install ilok protected software as many times as you like.

Kaboom75 wrote:I reinstalled Windows 8 weeks ago and the Ilok plugins were easy to install no activation or serials needed. The other plugins though were a pain in the but trying to find login names and passwords serials. I keep these backed up but after two years they were all over the place and some logins were changed since then. You can re download and install ilok protected software as many times as you like.
removed
Last edited by JJ_Jettflow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think if you loose or break your ilok you have to buy all the plugins again. Which is scary but if a software company uses online activation and they go bust you can't reinstall that plugin ever again.

They should all just agree to one protection method or none at all and it needs to also protect the customers purchase not just themselves.

Kaboom75 wrote:I keep these backed up but after two years they were all over the place and some logins were changed since then.
In order to avoid this, I keep my backups in Audio Software Folder -> Developer Name Folder -> Plugin Individual Folder (containing the installers, keyfile or serial, purchase and auth e-mail), the login data, if any, reside in the former together with the registration info.
This way, you install a plug-in, authorise it and go to the next one. Once finished with one Dev, go to the next Dev folder and install / authorise the plugins one by one. For the C/R protected stuff, I also have an "all serials .txt file" in the main Dev folder, so that I have those at hand for online authorisation.
The only exceptions being those requiring drag-and-drop of the license file and plugins asking for authorisation upon opening.

This saved me from headaches and is the only way I could find to manage hundreds plugins. Just my 2c.

ariston wrote:And there are other questions: do some developers consider a dongle as a kind of "pro" certificate? As in: if you don't require one, you're catering to the "amateur" market? (I'm sure some customers think of it this way).
I've been thinking that too, but in my opinion it is the developers who think that way as one need only look at how high status some non-dongle products have on here.
Spitfire31 wrote:I must admit that I have some difficulties understanding this almost pathological dongle fobia, that apparently make some folks rather abstain from a valuable tool than step down from their dogmatic ivory tower and get the best tools for the task at hand.
And I have difficulties understanding how some folks completely ignore the stated arguments of a thread and just scoop all users up to diss in the worst way: 'having pathological phobia' - 'living in a dogmatic tower'. If you want the discussion to be dissing posters rather than topic, what to say about you who 1. Ignore topic 2. diagnose posters as having mental illness (from preferring the non-dongle alternative, brilliant lmao), 3. Break forum rule 2. Want me to have a go?

There are many wrongs with dongles. First you have to pay premium for a ordinary usb stick that you have no need and no use for. And you can not use it for anything else when you decide to drop the software. At least Waves has had some sense and my old 256mb usb stick that was laying around has a new life.
Second, it does not work well as a copy protection. All the dongle stuff is out there cracked and that makes it even bitter for paying customer to pay extra and deal with this dongle crap.
Third, if you use two computers, for example one in the city and second on the countryside (or laptop) dongle theoretically should make your life easier. But if you happened to forgot it to one of those computers and then go to another place, it could mean that you are unable to use your software for a week or two. Moreover with laptop it is easy to lose it too.
And fourth, if you loose it or brake it, the s**t you have to go through is just unbelievable. I really can't say how anyone sees that as acceptable. If you need to RMA it, then you have to take extra time to drive to post office, pay extra for tracked shipping and wait for weeks without being able to use your software (if you are not able to get temporary licenses). And should you loose it... well, then you're out of luck as you're expected to buy all the software again.

Now compare this to a customer experience of a user of cracked software. Download software, install. And that's it.

Fortunately these days with so much competition it is quite easy to just avoid any dev who uses dongles (or other annoying forms of CP). And with most of the effects it's not difficult to switch from one plugin to another as they basically function the same, so the learning curve is not very steep at all.
No signature here!

Amon1973 wrote:Adobe and Corel didn't give me a second license as well yep, they use no dongles, but I just can use the software on one computer
Sorry for the OT, but you got me interested. My brother just bought the adobe CS, mainly for premiere pro. It actually says install is allowed on 2 computers.

Code: Select all

the software license agreement accompanying your product may entitle you to install and activate the software on two systems with certain restrictions. The product license agreement for Creative Suite 6 does not allow you to install the components of a single suite edition across multiple computers. Please see the software license agreement for more information.
So, which adobe product do you refer to?

cheers

ariston wrote:I'd really be interested in some solid statistics concerning this topic - but I realize we'll never get them due to an understandable desire for secrecy on the developers' part. Do dongles really prevent theft? For how long? Have (f.e.) Waves' sales increased since they changed their policy? They're doing a lot of sales (getting their plugins down to realistic prices imo), but are they earning more by doing so?
This is of course anecdotal evidence so no big conclusions can be drawn from it, but in my case for example, they have gone from the "try to avoid" list to the top of "buy" list on recent times. And I have given them more money than I would care to mention. :cry: Moreover, very likely all the plugins I get this year will be Waves plugins.
Last edited by robotmonkey on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
No signature here!

audiosabre wrote:
Amon1973 wrote:Adobe and Corel didn't give me a second license as well yep, they use no dongles, but I just can use the software on one computer
Sorry for the OT, but you got me interested. My brother just bought the adobe CS, mainly for premiere pro. It actually says install is allowed on 2 computers.

the software license agreement accompanying your product may entitle you to install and activate the software on two systems with certain restrictions. The product license agreement for Creative Suite 6 does not allow you to install the components of a single suite edition across multiple computers. Please see the software license agreement for more information.

cheers
Exactly, I'm totally sure that Adobe let's you activate two copies of the same software simultaneously. This is certain in the case of CS6 for example. The only caveat is that you are not supposed to use them at the same time.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
audiosabre wrote:

cheers
Exactly, I'm totally sure that Adobe let's you activate two copies of the same software simultaneously. This is certain in the case of CS6 for example. The only caveat is that you are not supposed to use them at the same time.
I was referring to Photoshop CS3, I'm probably missing some updates to the licensing terms.
On the other hand, I'm sure about Corel, as I bought PSP X5 last month and carefully read the EULA.

Thanks to both of you for pointing that out!

Return to “Effects”