why not analog-style limiters?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This limiter sounds really interesting. I prefer the sound with "brickwall" to "off", but I can absolutely hear what "softlimit" and "hardlimit" would be useful for.

You're a DSP craftsman, actually a DSP artist, Vlad! :lol: Thank you!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

[blushing]

Sorry for my example is not analog-modelled or analog style. I think we need Herbert to build one! :-)

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/201 ... what-next/
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

Yeah, it's not really analog style. Actually, what should analog style limiter sound like? There's no saturation of any kind in it, and it's clean, but different kind of clean. It's nice to have even more choice. :D

Oh yeah, I really like it how VoS interstage saturation in "ThrillseekerLA" sounds like. :P yum Maybe that's how analog style limiter should sound like? :D That kind of saturation, and tweakable peak shaping. I would like to see the attack and release knobs on that one, too, or at least release since the attack should be as fast as possible, I guess.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

vladg wrote:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18475891/6lim.zip

Here it is. Zero latency brickwall limiter (just test plugin for some experiments). VST, Windows, 32/64 bit.

It has fast no-lookahead hard knee limiter with threshold 2 dB below the threshold given and optional hard/soft clipping stage. I tested it on some mixes and I prefer the sound on "hardclip" position. Also you can set "brickwall" parameter to "off" and put your favorite clipper plugin after it to deal with signal overshoots.
Thanks for this vlad!
Is it also possible to get the osx vst version of the 6lim?

I think what you OS-X people should get is a Windows OS for OS-X, so will stop whining at every thread that deals with software made for Windows. Yeah, go complain to Microsoft. :lol:

Oh, but you CAN install Windows on a Mac computer, actually... Have you ever heard of a strange thing called "Bootcamp"?

hmmm so you actually CAN use every Windows made plugin there is. So why whining? :lol: :roll:
Last edited by DuX on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

DuX wrote:I think what you people should get is a Windows OS for OS-X, so will stop whining at every thread that deals with software made for Windows. Yeah, go complain to Microsoft. :lol:
etc..
I think you should grow up, and resist such a post next time.

Vlad already has vst's for osx so i know what i'm asking.

Resist a post, huh? Good one. Don't talk about resisting posts, please... You people are all around the "place" not resisting and trolling, just being in general really impolite, and having a "god given" attitude. :roll:

When the reality is - you're only 1/10 of all the computer users. Live with it.

Btw. I use Linux, too. And you don't see me whining for Linux plugins, don't you? I would really like for Linux to get more attention, though. I just don't want to be a PITA for people. Give me what you can attitude. Be grateful for what you get attitude. Especially when it's for free. :roll:

Yeah, talking about growing up, indeed.

DuX wrote:Resist a post, huh? Good one. Don't talk about resisting posts, please... You people are all around the "place" not resisting and trolling, just being in general really impolite, and having a "god given" attitude. :roll:
No idea why you have this presumptuous tone, generalizing and speaking for everybody what they could care less about. I've been working on both pc and mac for years, posting at kvr even longer, and have never seen this behavior or rudeness from mac users.

"You people all around the place..trolling..impolite, god given attitude".. Saying that, who is impolite here?

Maybe you need glasses? :roll: Really, what do you expect me to say when you can't see it. Every thread last few years that deals with new software has at least one Mac user saying "Mac please?"

In many cases it's ridiculous, since people already asked for it before, in the SAME thread, and without them realising that in some cases it's almost impossible to make a port to some other OS. Most of these posts are just plain dumb.

Just take a look at Variety of Sound "support" thread. https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/support-contact/ It's ridiculous! Not here on KVR, but on wordpress. And so many people have explained, me included, that Synthmaker plugins cannot be ported to anything else, and are kinda "locked" to Windows 32bit due to Synthmaker being only Windows 32-bit, and yet every once in a while there is a "Mac please" post, without even reading the thread and realising that it has already been asked for, and explained *in detail* why it can't happen before. It's annoying, and it is pure, classical trolling. :roll:

Mac users don't even read the threads, just post "Mac please" all around like mad. "like". It borders with spamming, not just trolling.

So what happens is that they won't even read what you, or I, wrote, they'll just post "Mac please". It's funny in a way, but after a time it becomes really annoying.

I think you people should take it a little bit more easy, that's all. I just can't see anything wrong with it. By asking for a "Mac" version in every thread everywhere you're actually making an anti-propaganda for yourself, and you're kinda promoting the hate against Mac users. Please, just be more cool. ;)

Cheers!

look under my name on the left :lol:
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

zeep wrote:Thanks for this vlad!
Yes. But do you really want it? :-) Okay, I'll compile it on the next week...

If only Herbert used C++ for his magic DSP code, too. ;) That is the main problem of his plugins, relying on SM for GUI, as there are little bugs and denormals, weird issues, that occur in each and every one of his plugins due to SM, and he can't do anything about it. :( It's such a shame. Have you two, Vlad, considered making something together, without using SM? ;) :P Something "stateful", perhaps? :love:

Regarding analog limiting, I have a DBX 1066 that has a peak limiter, but I never liked it as much as I like DSP limiters. It does bring quite a lot of nice mojo to the audio with its compressor, though, and at times even the limiter sounds good, on non-transient rich sounds.

vladg wrote:
Yes please. I like to use it for soundshaping and possibly for live sets.

Also, if i use it in arrangements on the pc i can work on them on my mbp too. Which is always a plus.
Btw, love Molot and use it many times.

DuX wrote:..I think you people should take it a little bit more easy, that's all. I just can't see anything wrong with it. By asking for a "Mac" version in every thread everywhere you're actually making an anti-propaganda for yourself, and you're kinda promoting the hate against Mac users. Please, just be more cool. ;)
Cheers!
Seems it's you who is taking offense to people asking for osx versions. You're asking these "people" to stop asking something that annoys you. ;)

I'm always cool. I wish everyone well and am thankful for nice plugins.

vladg wrote:
Here it is!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18475891/6lim-vst.dmg

vladg wrote:
vladg wrote:
Here it is!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18475891/6lim-vst.dmg
Thank you very much for this custom compile vlad!
Next to my win7 daw i'm glad to have it on my macbookpro too.

Return to “Effects”