My suggestion for cytomics next pluggie! Tube emulation! Yes?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

Should Andy's 3rd plugin be a Tube emulation?

Yes of course, that's the next logical step.
32%
No, i'd really prefer something else (say in post)
68%

Total votes: 28

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Amplitube models the whole amp (although some models do let you switch out the power amp "module" but you can't use it as a standalone power amp), as do most other amp sims. There's a few modeled preamps in the freeware world that sound best with a power amp between them and the cabinet emulator. (A lot of the guitar sound does come from power amp tubes and cabinets. Some cabinet IRs have the power amp saturation captured, some don't.)

Revalver has a bunch of power amps, and the freeware TSE X50 amp sim lets you disable the preamp and use it as a power amp. Two Note's Torpedo PI-101 has power amps but it's a little on the pricey side. (I was demo'ing it when it was on sale right around Christmas time but right when I went to buy it after my 15 day trial was up it went back up to regular price. A message I posted on their Facebook page went unanswered.) It looks like Audiffex has a pedal VST that emulates a power amp as well. Ignite Amps should be coming out with one in the next few months. I think that's all of them.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Ok gotcha. So totally different from the studio devil pre amp for example?

Dominus wrote:If he's doing circuit modeling, how about something we're missing (that has tubes):

Power amps.
well,as you know we have many already, but a big question is how accurate they are - because in reality sound of guitar power amp is also dependent on connected cabinet or speaker...and that makes me thinking about another thing which Im sure was never modelled:

guitar speaker

kvaca wrote:
Dominus wrote:If he's doing circuit modeling, how about something we're missing (that has tubes):

Power amps.
well,as you know we have many already, but a big question is how accurate they are - because in reality sound of guitar power amp is also dependent on connected cabinet or speaker...and that makes me thinking about another thing which Im sure was never modelled:

guitar speaker
Some of the amp sims do have modeled speakers, but IRs seem to work better than modeling. Revalver has the "Speaker Construction Set" module that lets you adjust the size of the cabinet, the type and number of speakers, and the microphone, angle, and distance.

Dominus wrote:Two Note's Torpedo PI-101 has power amps but it's a little on the pricey side. (I was demo'ing it when it was on sale right around Christmas time but right when I went to buy it after my 15 day trial was up it went back up to regular price. A message I posted on their Facebook page went unanswered.)
Sorry about that, Dominus.
For this kind of requests/questions, customer support is a much better way to get in touch with the Two Notes team: http://support.two-notes.com/

What was your message again, on Facebook?
Two Notes Audio Engineering
www.two-notes.com

TheoM wrote:Ok gotcha. So totally different from the studio devil pre amp for example?
Exactly. A Preamp feeds a power amp, then the amplified signal goes to the speakers.

It looks like Studio Devil's amp sim has a power amp section with 3 different settings (solid state/fet, class a, and class ab), but I don't know if you can use that by itself. It doesn't look like it from the pictures I've seen, but maybe someone that has it can say if you can bypass the pre amp and cab sections.

I'm still waiting for Amplitube to use less RAM. When I last demo'd it, it seems to load the entire plugin into memory, taking up about 300MB. When I'm running 6 guitar tracks, that adds up. Maybe they can add more modules with separate preamp and power amp components, and modify the plugin so it only uses memory for the modules you load up. I'd buy the whole thing at that point.

Homer G. wrote:
Dominus wrote:Two Note's Torpedo PI-101 has power amps but it's a little on the pricey side. (I was demo'ing it when it was on sale right around Christmas time but right when I went to buy it after my 15 day trial was up it went back up to regular price. A message I posted on their Facebook page went unanswered.)
Sorry about that, Dominus.
For this kind of requests/questions, customer support is a much better way to get in touch with the Two Notes team: http://support.two-notes.com/

What was your message again, on Facebook?
I think I asked when it would go on sale again. :)

We're house shopping right now though, so I'm going to put off any new purchases for the next few months anyway. I'll be tying up any spending money I have for a little bit. If you do a "Christmas in July" sale, I'll hopefully be settled in and ready to buy then. ;)

Dominus wrote:I think I asked when it would go on sale again. :)

We're house shopping right now though, so I'm going to put off any new purchases for the next few months anyway. I'll be tying up any spending money I have for a little bit. If you do a "Christmas in July" sale, I'll hopefully be settled in and ready to buy then. ;)
Well, if that happens we'll be sure to send out a newsletter about it, for sure!
:D
Two Notes Audio Engineering
www.two-notes.com

Dominus wrote:
TheoM wrote:Ok gotcha. So totally different from the studio devil pre amp for example?
Exactly. A Preamp feeds a power amp, then the amplified signal goes to the speakers.

It looks like Studio Devil's amp sim has a power amp section with 3 different settings (solid state/fet, class a, and class ab), but I don't know if you can use that by itself. It doesn't look like it from the pictures I've seen, but maybe someone that has it can say if you can bypass the pre amp and cab sections.

I'm still waiting for Amplitube to use less RAM. When I last demo'd it, it seems to load the entire plugin into memory, taking up about 300MB. When I'm running 6 guitar tracks, that adds up. Maybe they can add more modules with separate preamp and power amp components, and modify the plugin so it only uses memory for the modules you load up. I'd buy the whole thing at that point.
was just gonna write a post to say i noticed the SD stuff includes power amp.. testing demo now on some guitar.. i am not a guitarist at all so my opinion is worth nothing in this regard

Dominus wrote:
Some of the amp sims do have modeled speakers, but IRs seem to work better than modeling.
to me speaker without proper breakup is useless...and this is exactly what filters or IRs do...:shrug:

I dont know any amp sims with modeled speakers...can you name some??
Im interested to hear Celestion Blue,V30,Greenback and old Jensen models...off course without cabs because these always change the tone of speaker too much and it makes any comparatins between different speakers difficult...

Return to “Effects”